Did you mean: 

Got the Amex FR Call :(

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Got the Amex FR Call :(

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Actually my income can fluctuate by that much or even more, i am a salaried employee but also recieve bonuses and incentives based on my performance and company performance and now economy (oil and gas) .. in last three years 43k in bonuses, 29k in bonuses and most recently 73k in bonuses (it was a great year for me obviously) .. not encouraging any fibbing just being honest that some peoples income actually does fluctuate drastically year over year depending on occupation and especially in sales roles if that was the case for OP ...

If you average your income then you are fine as they will see that in the FR.

As long as you have at least one year with an income higher than you reported it all comes down to proportions. Now if you have a range of 180K - 200K then reporting 220K may not be all that bad but then it depends on how much weight they put on the fact that you overstated. 20K does not mean much as a static number as 20K means something different for everyone when related to their income.

I have no idea what the tolerance for Amex is for an obvious overstatement nor do i know if never having a tax filing at least or higher than a singular reported income has an inpact.

Best bet, whatever you use you should have a reasonable way to explain the amount you reported or you could be in hot water.

So, here's a question:

I am pretty sure that tax returns show taxable income, which means that neither health insurance or 401(k) is listed on the return itself (it's on the W-2, but I recall just listing my taxable income on the actual tax form.

I don't feel like digging out my 1040s, so can anyone confirm that?  How does that affect an AMEX FR? Or do they get access to W-2s, as well?

Message 41 of 119
MJ-san
Frequent Contributor

They will only see the transcript - AGI (adjusted gross income) but not details about deductions (401k, healthcare, etc.). 

Message 42 of 119
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

@trant3 wrote:
Got the FR call today asked about income and etc and requested the 4506t form to be submitted with two prior years tax return. I have 3 accounts with Amex and recently opened the BCE 20 days ago. Not sure what triggered FR but I suspect my accounts will be closed. To be open and honest with the community, I did fluff my income when aping for the BCE and deserve the account closure of if it happens. Learn from me, disclose accurate info!

I'm going to be heart broken if my accounts close though, I've been with them since 2010 Smiley Sad

hey there, sorry about this.  I read about the 20k fluff and that you sent in the form.  My guess is that they are looking for action on your part and not the fine details of your income and that you have done your part and that nothing will come of this.  Your love for the company is obvious.  I would not lose any sleep over this, this is a mature company you are dealing with and you can reason with them. 

Message 43 of 119
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@trant3 wrote:

Submitted the 4056t form this evening along with the tax docs, I'm just going to cross my fingers and hope Amex will have mercy. I fluffed the income by +$20k and I'm really shameful of it. The credit greed got the best of me and here are the consequences. I thought I've learned hard credit lessons after my credit downfall years ago, but here's another one.

Thanks everyone for listening and encouragement, I'll post outcome in a few days. 

Oh, sorry OP.  That is a lot of fluff,   And it was not congruent with your current limits, (probably what flagged, since it is kinda automated).  This also tends to happen in lower 700s or below.

Signature needs updating
Message 44 of 119
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@trant3 wrote:
Got the FR call today asked about income and etc and requested the 4506t form to be submitted with two prior years tax return. I have 3 accounts with Amex and recently opened the BCE 20 days ago. Not sure what triggered FR but I suspect my accounts will be closed. To be open and honest with the community, I did fluff my income when aping for the BCE and deserve the account closure of if it happens. Learn from me, disclose accurate info!

I'm going to be heart broken if my accounts close though, I've been with them since 2010 Smiley Sad

Did you give an income that was a lot higher than what you had told them before? I just find it weird that you been with them since 2010 and now they FR you. You mentioned getting a new card 20 days ago. Was that part of a recent app spree? Any baddies show up on your credit reports or do you have higher than normal credit util at the time of the app? Any higher than normal spending patterns? 

Probably this.

Signature needs updating
Message 45 of 119
EdMan63
Established Contributor

@Kidcat wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Actually my income can fluctuate by that much or even more, i am a salaried employee but also recieve bonuses and incentives based on my performance and company performance and now economy (oil and gas) .. in last three years 43k in bonuses, 29k in bonuses and most recently 73k in bonuses (it was a great year for me obviously) .. not encouraging any fibbing just being honest that some peoples income actually does fluctuate drastically year over year depending on occupation and especially in sales roles if that was the case for OP ...

I agree although commissions and bonuses are never guranteed so what should one use?   People that get bonuses/comissions including myself can either get 10-20% of their income or 0% based on how the company/themselves are performing.  Thus I choose not to include them in my income.  In the case of Amex they go off your last two tax statements thus I would probably choose what I could prove by those if I chose to include my bonuses which I don't in my income provided

I'm in the same boat.  Just to be safe I only use my base salary, which for my purposes is more than sufficient for my level of credit.

That's what I do. I only report my base salary. My bonus income can vary so I just play it safe. However my salary is adequate for my apping needs. 

Message 46 of 119
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@Falere wrote:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but every poster I remember that complied with the request had their limits left alone or lowered; I don't recall any closures.  Personally, I find what they're asking for to be quite invasive but to each their own.

I'm not familiar with what's included in the tax transcipt...but are dependents information included (such as name, dob, & ssn) or is it just the information of the tax payer?  If dependents information is provided then I can maybe see a little hesitation with providing such...if not, then I don't understand why providing such info seems to be so intrusive...after all, it's not like they don't know everything about you anyway.  They already have our name, address, dob, ssn, place of employment, and our "stated" income.  If there was no lying on the app and dependent information isn't included, then why not comply?

Message 47 of 119
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Loquat wrote:

@Falere wrote:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but every poster I remember that complied with the request had their limits left alone or lowered; I don't recall any closures.  Personally, I find what they're asking for to be quite invasive but to each their own.

I'm not familiar with what's included in the tax transcipt...but are dependents information included (such as name, dob, & ssn) or is it just the information of the tax payer?  If dependents information is provided then I can maybe see a little hesitation with providing such...if not, then I don't understand why providing such info seems to be so intrusive...after all, it's not like they don't know everything about you anyway.  They already have our name, address, dob, ssn, place of employment, and our "stated" income.  If there was no lying on the app and dependent information isn't included, then why not comply?

Um, because, when OP said fluff income, OP was way over (from what I can tell) his/her income (getting greedy was the phrase used).

Signature needs updating
Message 48 of 119
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

@Loquat wrote:

@Falere wrote:

Um, because, when OP said fluff income, OP was way over (from what I can tell) his/her income (getting greedy was the phrase used).

Oh understand the issue with the OP, my question was more for the poster Falere who mentioned the invasiveness. 

Message 49 of 119
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Loquat wrote:

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

@Loquat wrote:

@Falere wrote:

Oh understand the issue with the OP, my question was more for the poster Falere who mentioned the invasiveness. 

That is what we call going off topic.  Smiley Wink. Let's try to keep this focused on the OP, and not varying personal opinions on other thoughts.

Signature needs updating
Message 50 of 119
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.