Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Goverment Travel Card

tag
trudawg660
Contributor

Goverment Travel Card

For those who do know what it is, its a credit card that the government gives you when you are about to deploy. Well I know because this card is in your name it goes on your credit report. But my question is what kind of limit would be on the card. because I get deploy in about 3 months.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Goverment Travel Card

It depends on what your card manager sets the limit to. I believe right now the limit starts at either $4000 or $7500, however depending on where you're deploying to your card manager can set it up to $10K.

Be careful with that card. I don't know if you've used it in the past, but they can and sometimes do check to see what the purchases were. I was glad when I retired and turned that card in and said, "Shred it!"

Be sure you know what you can and cannot use it for. Also, it is carried on your credit report but will not be reported as late until it goes over 120 days. At that point BoA can shut your card down.

Good luck!
Message 2 of 13
trudawg660
Contributor

who can actually get to 120 days without paying it, you can get in some serious trouble with your commander if you don't pay it.
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

trudawg660 wrote:
who can actually get to 120 days without paying it, you can get in some serious trouble with your commander if you don't pay it.

Yes, and for civilians working for the Army- the card manager will call you right away. The limit is dependent on where you are going and what kind of expsenes they allow. After you return from TDY or assignment you definitly need to pay the card in full- or if they allow payments (they didn't allow civvies to not PIF when I had one) and take care of it just like any CC. It will help your credit- but can hurt it just like a reg CC.

The other poster was right when they said only certain things are allowed. While I don't know for the soldiers what that is- for civvies- for example, when I worked for MWR and went to a Hotel Trade Show- we toured different hotels and took pictures of the rooms to take back for ideas- and when I developed the photos and went to pay for them w/ the card it was blacklisted. I even got on the phone and told the lady that I was there for a hotel conf. and getting ideas to take back for upgrading guest houses- but she denied it 100%

Bottom line- it's kind of cool cuz no matter what you score they will allow you SOME kind of limit- and your paying it on time will establish some kind of history- but you need to treat it just like any other CC.

And trust what the other poster said about getting in serious trouble w/ your chain of command if you don't pay on time.
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Be safe and come back home....wherever you deploy.
Good luck soldier!
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

i have 2 gov cards 1 for travel 20k cl and 1 for purchasing 10k cl, neither of these show up on my credit reports.

the others were right you have to be very careful what you purchase and you must pif. the only bill i see is for my travel card, which i pay when i get my voucher reimbersment. the purchasing card i review the statement, sign every scrap of paper (po's, packing slips, invoices, etc.) and give it to my supervisor for review, then she sends it to our finnancial center for payment.

does anyone else's show up on cra's?
Message 6 of 13
Kooliad
Regular Contributor

Im in the Air Force and have a Goverment Travel Card with a CL 10,000 and it doen't show on CR  I've had it for about 5 years are so.
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't see it on mine either, is it possible it doesn't get reported unless one was to get over 120 days late.

I do agree with other posters that most commands do keep a tight thumb on this program. However there are commands out there that don't keep that tight thumb.

DH just went to the BoA class on gov't tc today and he was a fountain of information when he got home. 
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

You know what- now that I think about it mine wasn't reported. I thought maybe it was because I had mine only a couple of years,  and it was never set at a specific limit- it was only for TDY and would be activated before I went TDY and then as soon as I got my money from the trip when back I had to PIF and then the card would be cut off again.

It is my experience that most card managers and chain of command do keep a tight thumb on it- I have known one soldier who got seriously called to the carpet for not paying his...but he was active duty.
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

all the people at our facility have travel cards and ours are always active, we can be called for to testify on very short notice (i've seen some get the call in the afternoon and have to be there the next day), go on an inspection, or set up shop at a temp location.

that being said, try and take out cash or make a purchase w/o travel authorization. let alone not paying the bill when it hits.
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.