Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grad Student - Questions

tag
discoveringit

Grad Student - Questions

Hello,

I have a year and a month left to go in law school. 30k earnings this year, but it will all come in the span of 10 weeks this summer, so no year round job.

I started out when I was 18 with a 1st Financial Bank USA Credit Card, which until this week was my only credit card. The limit is 7.5k at the moment, but no rewards and VERY high APR. Also an authroized user on 2 of my parents CCs, which makes my average age and utilization look better than it really is. BoA reported my Ex FICO at 774. Discover reports my TU at 786.

I'm now 24 and want to add a few better accounts. Sunday I applied and was accepted to for the BankAmericard Travel Rewards credit card, though I don't know the limit yet. Monday I applied and was accepted for the Discover it card with a CL of 1.5k. Friday I applied and got the 'we'll let you know in the mail' message for the Chase Amazon visa. I should have 5 hard inquiries now - 3 for the apps and 2 for Grad Plus student loans.

My questions are these:

- If I have my parents remove me from their accounts, does that history remain on my credit report like it would if it was my own account? Or will my average age plummet? 

- Is there anything I can do to help the Chase application? I don't know if Chase looks unfavorably on summer job income and would decline my app if it becomes clear that my annual income isn't from a steady job.

- How long should I wait to apply to any additional cards? I'd like to add the Amex BCE and United Explorer cards eventually, but figure 5 applications at once, especially given that I only have one longstanding account in my own name, is a bad idea. Do I need to give these cards 6 months to a year to mature, or can I spread out the other two applications in the next few months? I've lived for 6 years with just the one card but suddenly am very impatient about waiting.

Thanks for the help!

1500 CL 5000 CL 6000 CL 7500 CL 9400 CL
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
discoveringit

Re: Grad Student - Questions

BoA gave me 5k! Enough that I can put my old card in a drawer and not think about it any more. 

Message 2 of 5
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

I'm glad to hear about your BofA success! Smiley Happy

The best thing to do about Chase is to call them and find out the status that way you can move it along and find out what they need. It might be something simple like verifying your address or something. Smiley Wink

Best of luck! What made you choose Amazon Visa? I would have firmly recommended to you the Sallie Mae card! 5% on 250 of Grocery and Gas expenses monthly and up to 750 per month on Amazon (or bookstore) expenses. Smiley Happy
Message 3 of 5
discoveringit

Thanks for the tip! Didn't realize the Sallie Mae points could be redeemed for statement credit rather than just payment against loans. Was applying for the Amazon card because that is my second highest credit expense each month after groceries. This would seem to take care of both. Thanks!

Update - Accepted for $9,400! Must be done now. More than trippled my available credit in a week with one app still outstanding.

Message 4 of 5
Stralem
Established Contributor

Bump because relevant to my interests.

One of the worst things about being a working student is the inconsistent income. Mine fluctuates between $16K and $30K depending on how much I can hustle between classes and other life obligations. I claimed what I made on my W2s plus my grant monies (NOT loans!) and side income. It's all documented, so if Amex or any other company throws a b****fit, I have something to shut them up post haste. But so far no complaints.

Hopefully by this time next year, I'll be pulling in some decent dosh on the other side of the globe. But until then, I'll just keep plugging along.

Good luck with your own studies.

I Have Way Too Many of These.

American Express - No CLI or Appreciation Gift in 7 Years

Citibank - Handing Out Credit Limits Like Candy

Chase - Surprisingly, Still Tolerating My Credit-Chasing Ways

Bank of America - My Newest Bae.

Everyone Else.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.