Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graduated to Quicksilver!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Graduated to Quicksilver!

I've had a Cap One Platinum card for a few yrs now and have been itching to upgrade it to something that feels a little more prestigious.  I've read that PC's can be hit or miss, and I've been a little more trigger happy in applying for credit in the last yr than I'd like.  I did not want a 2nd Cap One card (esp the QS1) and would rather save that space in my wallet for a prime card elsewhere (when the time is right).  My FICO is showing 636, with high utilization and a 7 yr old Ch 7.  I'm on a slow road to getting my credit higher than ever (I've been bad with it most my adult life, still need to control my spending), and I know I'm nowhere near having great credit, but already not having to worry about simple things like deposits for wireless/cable service like I used to feels really good... or having a small cache of CC's on tap when I pull my wallet out,  has me wanting to push the limits to see what I can get (overshooting at times).  

With all that said, and without getting too far off topic, in an attempt to tweak my credit profile as much as I can with little consequence, I online chatted and PC'ed to the Quicksilver card with no problem!  Just a small victory today, especially after getting shot down for a Walmart card CLI from $200 (which this site sort of put me up to reading the apparent giving away of CLI's from Synchrony).

I did apply for a CLI after the PC and got the 2-3 day decision result, usually means "nahh" in my experience.  I'm at $1250 (highest CLI is NFCU Cash Rewards @ $2000, my first auto increase and PC).

Glad to shed my wallet of this boring Platinum card, add some rewards, and to slip my way into a card that seemingly is reserved for the high 600-700 club.

By the way, I hope this isn't a dumb question and my first mind says no, but will certain cards raise credit scores?  I could not find a clear answer anywhere.

Hope I didn't rant too much.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Graduated to Quicksilver!

Congrats on the Quicksilver!  

I'm too new to myFICO to give advice. But this is the place to find answers, support. Good luck on the CLI.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:

I've had a Cap One Platinum card for a few yrs now and have been itching to upgrade it to something that feels a little more prestigious.  I've read that PC's can be hit or miss, and I've been a little more trigger happy in applying for credit in the last yr than I'd like.  I did not want a 2nd Cap One card (esp the QS1) and would rather save that space in my wallet for a prime card elsewhere (when the time is right).  My FICO is showing 636, with high utilization and a 7 yr old Ch 7.  I'm on a slow road to getting my credit higher than ever (I've been bad with it most my adult life, still need to control my spending), and I know I'm nowhere near having great credit, but already not having to worry about simple things like deposits for wireless/cable service like I used to feels really good... or having a small cache of CC's on tap when I pull my wallet out,  has me wanting to push the limits to see what I can get (overshooting at times).  

With all that said, and without getting too far off topic, in an attempt to tweak my credit profile as much as I can with little consequence, I online chatted and PC'ed to the Quicksilver card with no problem!  Just a small victory today, especially after getting shot down for a Walmart card CLI from $200 (which this site sort of put me up to reading the apparent giving away of CLI's from Synchrony).

@I did apply for a CLI after the PC and got the 2-3 day decision result, usually means "nahh" in my experience.  I'm at $1250 (highest CLI is NFCU Cash Rewards @ $2000, my first auto increase and PC).

Glad to shed my wallet of this boring Platinum card, add some rewards, and to slip my way into a card that seemingly is reserved for the high 600-700 club.

By the way, I hope this isn't a dumb question and my first mind says no, but will certain cards raise credit scores?  I could not find a clear answer anywhere.

Hope I didn't rant too much.

There you go...well done! Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 6
SomewhereIn505
Valued Contributor

Congrats! You are definitely thinking the right way - quality over quantity! 

I also think the PC to QS will help on an CLI, too. Cap One is a SP for CLI. Don’t be afraid to try often for one. Once you get it, it’s locked in for 6 months. It will help with that cards utilization and help raise your scores.

3/16/18 FICO9 TU-700 EQ-669 EX-716
6/26/18 FICO9 TU-750, EQ-672, EX-789

Message 4 of 6
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

FICO doesn't care. With major cards (Visa, MasterCard, AMEX, Discover), all that shows on the credit report is the bank that issues them. You could have a horrible Credit One card or a Chase Sapphire Reserve, and scoring will treat them the same way.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats!!
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.