Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graduating Discover it Student Card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Graduating Discover it Student Card?

Has anyone had experience with graduating their Discover student card? I got approved in Apr 2014 as my first CC & I called a few months ago to see about making it a regular it card, but she said my acct was too new. I planned on waiting till my 1 year mark (Apr 2015), but reading this forum & trying to fight the urge to apply for a new card, I went on chat last week to see about graduating it from a student card & the CSR told me that it's already a regular it card & it doesn't show I'm a student anymore. 

I remember being able to go online & update my graduation date (which it asked me to do in January), but now I don't see that option. I don't know if it's because my acct upgraded or if they just changed the site. Is anyone who has a student card able to change their graduation info online? 

Also if you have graduated your acct, have you received any auto CLIs or anything since? I know the benefits are basically the same but I think that was the only major difference.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Graduating Discover it Student Card?

Is there any difference between a student and regular versions that bothers you? I had a discover student card and it was the same as the regular version in every single aspect. My guess is that the student version lowers the approval bar, given school verification etc. Don't worry about it.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Has anyone had experience with graduating their Discover student card? I got approved in Apr 2014 as my first CC & I called a few months ago to see about making it a regular it card, but she said my acct was too new. I planned on waiting till my 1 year mark (Apr 2015), but reading this forum & trying to fight the urge to apply for a new card, I went on chat last week to see about graduating it from a student card & the CSR told me that it's already a regular it card & it doesn't show I'm a student anymore. 

I remember being able to go online & update my graduation date (which it asked me to do in January), but now I don't see that option. I don't know if it's because my acct upgraded or if they just changed the site. Is anyone who has a student card able to change their graduation info online? 

Also if you have graduated your acct, have you received any auto CLIs or anything since? I know the benefits are basically the same but I think that was the only major difference.

Essentially since they've removed the graduation information your profile has been moved from the Student card to the non-student card.  It's the same card still but anecdotal evidence says the non-student has a higher max credit line potential, but with Discover being so conservative anyway I'm not exactly sure it matters that much.

I have also heard anecdotally that they only allow one Discover to a person marked as a student while a person not marked as a student can have two different cards (like an it and a miles or an it and an it chrome, etc).  I don't know how true that is, though.

Essentially there is no real difference.

Edited to add: my graduation date is still in my profile.  So yes, you have 'graduated' in that sense.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Essentially since they've removed the graduation information your profile has been moved from the Student card to the non-student card.  It's the same card still but anecdotal evidence says the non-student has a higher max credit line potential, but with Discover being so conservative anyway I'm not exactly sure it matters that much.

I have also heard anecdotally that they only allow one Discover to a person marked as a student while a person not marked as a student can have two different cards (like an it and a miles or an it and an it chrome, etc).  I don't know how true that is, though.

Edited to add: my graduation date is still in my profile.  So yes, you have 'graduated' in that sense.

Don't quote me on this, but they could have auto-graduated you and maybe all Discover it student cardholders (or just removed the graduation option completely) because they made the Discover it Chrome the new student card and removed that as an every-person kind of card after the Miles card came out. 

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Don't quote me on this, but they could have auto-graduated you and maybe all Discover it student cardholders (or just removed the graduation option completely) because they made the Discover it Chrome the new student card and removed that as an every-person kind of card after the Miles card came out. 

You can, in fact, get the regular It as a student card and the Chrome as a non-student card still.  Down at the bottom of the Chrome advertising page there are links to get you to the other pitch pages.  My regular It is still a student card with a listed graduation date of December 2016.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks guys! Yeah I know that it's generally the same card, but I would like to be CONSIDERED (no guarantees with Discover) for auto luv & the chance to get a better CL. Besides, who wants to be looked at as a student all the time? I feel like they see "YOUNG & IMMATURE" on my forehead. 

& yeah, what 

But overall graduating is really just for my own satisfaction, which I think is a good enough reason.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.