Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Green vs Plum Card

tag
real_madrid09
Valued Member

Green vs Plum Card

Is it true that if you can get approved for the Green Card, you can get approved for the Plum? 

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
sandsanta
Contributor

Re: Green vs Plum Card

The Green what?  The Plum is a Business card. 

Message 2 of 12
real_madrid09
Valued Member

The Green Business card. 

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a platinum and a plum. I got a gold then upgraded to a platinum about a year before going for the plum. Plum is kind of a special card and I'm sure Amex likes to see some history. If you credit is rock solid and you have high limits go for it.

To be honest these days I use my Chase Ink more.
Message 4 of 12
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

I have both Platinum Charge and Plum Cards. They use a different criteria to approve Plum card. If you are an a Amex member, they do not do hard inq and it does not hurt your scores to apply for plum. If they do approve it then there will be a hard inq your credit report.

Message 5 of 12
real_madrid09
Valued Member

I have almost 6 months of 'perfect' history, and I'm looking for a business charge card. 

What if I apply for the Plum card first, and if I get denied, I apply for the Green? Would that count as one hard inquiry or two?

Message 6 of 12
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

I believe the rule that was referred to w/Amex is, if you have one of their cards and app for another, it's a soft hit unless they approve you. Then it becomes hard. I'm not sure if they'd do a recon to a different card if you were declined without another inquiry. Though I did see someone here recently who ended up with like 4 inquiries in about 1 week because they app'd for, and were denied, several different Amex products. Plus, Amex hit different CRs, too.

I'm sure there are others here who could answer for sure. Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 7 of 12
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

@real_madrid09 wrote:

I have almost 6 months of 'perfect' history, and I'm looking for a business charge card. 

What if I apply for the Plum card first, and if I get denied, I apply for the Green? Would that count as one hard inquiry or two?

It is safe to apply for Amex Biz Gold Card as the chances are high for approval and wait 6 months and then apply for Plum. Plum is much harder to get approved than gold.

Message 8 of 12
real_madrid09
Valued Member

Thanks for the tip. What about Green vs Gold Rewards in terms of approval chances. Especially for me, since I only have 6 months of history. 

Message 9 of 12
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I would apply for Plum and if you don't get that go back and apply for Green or Gold but I really don't think Plum is harder to get then Green-Platinum...

I think we should be careful about constantly posting that one Charge Card is harder then the next Charge Card... Why would Amex make it easy to get a card that makes them $25 a year in annual fees but make it super hard to get a Charge card that makes them $450 a year... they are all Charge Cards and Amex could set your charging ability to $500 if they wanted until they got to know you!

Now when you get into actual Credit Card products with Amex then I do believe some are easier then others but they have more to loose on those potentially.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.