Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Groceries purchase at Walmart and Sallie Mae

tag
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

Groceries purchase at Walmart and Sallie Mae

With my USAA Amex, it showers as "discount store" instead of "groceries". I wonder what does it show as on Sallie Mae? If it counts as groceries, then I will apply for it next year. As for right now, I will switch to arrival for Walmart purchases.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Groceries purchase at Walmart and Sallie Mae

@DigitalArk wrote:
With my USAA Amex, it showers as "discount store" instead of "groceries". I wonder what does it show as on Sallie Mae? If it counts as groceries, then I will apply for it next year. As for right now, I will switch to arrival for Walmart purchases.

Depends on the Walmart location. Each location can vary.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 8
kosmos
Established Member

Where I live there are mostly walmart supercenters. I do purchases at the front registers and with my sallie mae mastercard I receive 5%. Hope this information helps.

Message 3 of 8
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

Thank you! It helps a lot. Sallie Mae, my next card!
Message 4 of 8
kimmiller112
Frequent Contributor

@kosmos wrote:

Where I live there are mostly walmart supercenters. I do purchases at the front registers and with my sallie mae mastercard I receive 5%. Hope this information helps.

Thanks for the info.  I will be moving into my new house in two weeks and plan on buying the majority of my groceries at Walmart.  I was just wondering the same thing and am glad I can use my Sallie Mae card there.

Barclays USAir World MC $8300 - DCU $7500 - USAA World MC $7000 - PayPal Extras MC (GE) $5500 - Chase Saphire Preferred $5000 - Discover It $6000 - Barclays Sallie May $2700 - Chase Freedom $1000 - Capital One $8500 (business) - store cards ranging from $500-$9500
Message 5 of 8
Haroon
New Contributor

I have gotten the 5% at every Walmart and target that I have tried but these have all been the ones that sell groceries as well. Also just FYI I got the 5% at SAMs club gas station but not within SAMs club it self.
Message 6 of 8
kosmos
Established Member

One more thing. The sallie mae card gives 5% on amazon purchases, because amazon is considered a bookstore. Marketplace purchases don't count, but there is a way around that limitation.

Buy a amazon giftcard on amazon.com and the giftcard purchase will count as 5%. You can use the giftcard with any merchant on amazon.

To be honest I think the sallie mae card is the best card out there. Only downside is the catagory limits, but 5% racks up so fast. I have had the card since Sept 28th and already racked up over $50 rewards not counting the bonus $25 for first use.

**edit** Also another thing I enjoy is "instant" rewards posting. Once the item posts to your account you get your rewards. I seriously love that.

Message 7 of 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

kosmos wrote:

One more thing. The sallie mae card gives 5% on amazon purchases, because amazon is considered a bookstore. Marketplace purchases don't count, but there is a way around that limitation.

Buy a amazon giftcard on amazon.com and the giftcard purchase will count as 5%. You can use the giftcard with any merchant on amazon.

To be honest I think the sallie mae card is the best card out there. Only downside is the catagory limits, but 5% racks up so fast. I have had the card since Sept 28th and already racked up over $50 rewards not counting the bonus $25 for first use.

**edit** Also another thing I enjoy is "instant" rewards posting. Once the item posts to your account you get your rewards. I seriously love that.

Of course "best" is subjective!   If the categories are useful to you (and here I think is the strength, at least some of them will be for most people) then it is a nice card.

But the low limits (for me on groceries, presumably for some on gas) do greatly reduce the value of the card.   If you maxed each category out all year, the card would give you $750 in year (excluding the 1% category).  Which compares favourably with the $300 on Freedom/Discover IT, and $400 (excluding 1 and 2%) on Cash Plus.

But then my Citi TYP is giving me $1,100 this MONTH, so that prevents me being totally in love with Sallie Mae (for now anyway)

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.