Reply
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,322
Registered: ‎07-07-2013
0

Groceries purchase at Walmart and Sallie Mae

With my USAA Amex, it showers as "discount store" instead of "groceries". I wonder what does it show as on Sallie Mae? If it counts as groceries, then I will apply for it next year. As for right now, I will switch to arrival for Walmart purchases.
Super Contributor
Posts: 7,132
Registered: ‎02-27-2013
0

Re: Groceries purchase at Walmart and Sallie Mae


DigitalArk wrote:
With my USAA Amex, it showers as "discount store" instead of "groceries". I wonder what does it show as on Sallie Mae? If it counts as groceries, then I will apply for it next year. As for right now, I will switch to arrival for Walmart purchases.

Depends on the Walmart location. Each location can vary.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Established Member
Posts: 14
Registered: ‎12-08-2012
0

Re: Groceries purchase at Walmart and Sallie Mae

Where I live there are mostly walmart supercenters. I do purchases at the front registers and with my sallie mae mastercard I receive 5%. Hope this information helps.

Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,322
Registered: ‎07-07-2013
0

Re: Groceries purchase at Walmart and Sallie Mae

Thank you! It helps a lot. Sallie Mae, my next card!
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 474
Registered: ‎04-09-2012
0

Re: Groceries purchase at Walmart and Sallie Mae


kosmos wrote:

Where I live there are mostly walmart supercenters. I do purchases at the front registers and with my sallie mae mastercard I receive 5%. Hope this information helps.


Thanks for the info.  I will be moving into my new house in two weeks and plan on buying the majority of my groceries at Walmart.  I was just wondering the same thing and am glad I can use my Sallie Mae card there.

Barclays USAir World MC $8300 - DCU $7500 - USAA World MC $7000 - PayPal Extras MC (GE) $5500 - Chase Saphire Preferred $5000 - Discover It $6000 - Barclays Sallie May $2700 - Chase Freedom $1000 - Capital One $8500 (business) - store cards ranging from $500-$9500
New Contributor
Posts: 59
Registered: ‎03-23-2013
0

Re: Groceries purchase at Walmart and Sallie Mae

I have gotten the 5% at every Walmart and target that I have tried but these have all been the ones that sell groceries as well. Also just FYI I got the 5% at SAMs club gas station but not within SAMs club it self.
Established Member
Posts: 14
Registered: ‎12-08-2012
0

Re: Groceries purchase at Walmart and Sallie Mae

[ Edited ]

One more thing. The sallie mae card gives 5% on amazon purchases, because amazon is considered a bookstore. Marketplace purchases don't count, but there is a way around that limitation.

 

Buy a amazon giftcard on amazon.com and the giftcard purchase will count as 5%. You can use the giftcard with any merchant on amazon.

 

To be honest I think the sallie mae card is the best card out there. Only downside is the catagory limits, but 5% racks up so fast. I have had the card since Sept 28th and already racked up over $50 rewards not counting the bonus $25 for first use.

 

**edit** Also another thing I enjoy is "instant" rewards posting. Once the item posts to your account you get your rewards. I seriously love that.

Highlighted
Super Contributor
Posts: 10,867
Registered: ‎04-22-2013
0

Re: Groceries purchase at Walmart and Sallie Mae

[ Edited ]


kosmos wrote:

One more thing. The sallie mae card gives 5% on amazon purchases, because amazon is considered a bookstore. Marketplace purchases don't count, but there is a way around that limitation.

 

Buy a amazon giftcard on amazon.com and the giftcard purchase will count as 5%. You can use the giftcard with any merchant on amazon.

 

To be honest I think the sallie mae card is the best card out there. Only downside is the catagory limits, but 5% racks up so fast. I have had the card since Sept 28th and already racked up over $50 rewards not counting the bonus $25 for first use.

 

**edit** Also another thing I enjoy is "instant" rewards posting. Once the item posts to your account you get your rewards. I seriously love that.


Of course "best" is subjective!   If the categories are useful to you (and here I think is the strength, at least some of them will be for most people) then it is a nice card.

But the low limits (for me on groceries, presumably for some on gas) do greatly reduce the value of the card.   If you maxed each category out all year, the card would give you $750 in year (excluding the 1% category).  Which compares favourably with the $300 on Freedom/Discover IT, and $400 (excluding 1 and 2%) on Cash Plus.

But then my Citi TYP is giving me $1,100 this MONTH, so that prevents me being totally in love with Sallie Mae (for now anyway)

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.