Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow Financial/GTE FCU...anybody?

tag
SPreb
Regular Contributor

Grow Financial/GTE FCU...anybody?

Does anyone have any experience with grow financial or GTE FCU? or any other florida based FCU?

I have a cap 1 platinum with 2k. I recently got a United explore (2k) and barclaycard arrival (2.5k). I am not looking to app now, but probably in a few months. I am trying to figure out if I will get a higher CL with the CUs. My TU and EQ both are around 690 with util on the reports very high because cap 1 hasnt posted in a couple of months. Also, chase pulled a fast one (not really, I wasnt paying attention Smiley Wink). They cut the first statement a week after I received the card. I had used it to buy international tickets on united and they reported a 70% util. all cards have near zero balances now. So, once everything reports util should be very low. I usually PIF every month anyway. I have one unpaid 4 year old collection that I am investigating. Not officially disputed yet.

Starting Score: 620 Current Score: 709 Goal Score: 720
Gardening from 9/28/2013. Target: March 2014
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
missjae
Established Contributor

Re: Grow Financial/GTE FCU...anybody?

@SPreb wrote:

Does anyone have any experience with grow financial or GTE FCU? or any other florida based FCU?

I have a cap 1 platinum with 2k. I recently got a United explore (2k) and barclaycard arrival (2.5k). I am not looking to app now, but probably in a few months. I am trying to figure out if I will get a higher CL with the CUs. My TU and EQ both are around 690 with util on the reports very high because cap 1 hasnt posted in a couple of months. Also, chase pulled a fast one (not really, I wasnt paying attention Smiley Wink). They cut the first statement a week after I received the card. I had used it to buy international tickets on united and they reported a 70% util. all cards have near zero balances now. So, once everything reports util should be very low. I usually PIF every month anyway. I have one unpaid 4 year old collection that I am investigating. Not officially disputed yet.

I'm not in FL and never heard of the financial institution you're asking about, but in my experience, my CU has been easy going and generous vs. big banks.  This was with high utility reporting and a collection account.  They asked about the collection, but in the end, the approved me for 5K....my highest reporting card at the time was 3K.

I looked up Grow Financial in the Credit Pulls database and it looks like people with lower scores than yours were able to be approved.  They used one pull for multiple products.  This was last year in 2012.  You could also try calling them and asking them what they look for.  

Message 2 of 9
Mellon
Established Contributor

i really like GTE. I have been a member since 2008. You can earn  6.99% for balances up to $500  if you have direct deposit, bill pay and loan product. 

I have a standard platinum card with a 7% rate and a 3k limit. I think they still do SP for opening account and EQ HP for credit/loan products.

I have had nothing but positive experience with them. This month I won $200 in a contest for using bill pay. They recently rebranded from GTE FCU to GTE Financial

Message 3 of 9
SPreb
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the replies. I will look them up.

Another stupid question. Will they tell u what kind of limits they offer on CCs for diff credit scores?

Message 4 of 9
USF813
Frequent Contributor

I've been with Grow since the mid-90s when they were MacDill. I've been fighting with them two weeks now because they lost the homeowners insurance on my mortgage, resulting in a -$85 escrow balance. They use an outsourced call center in New Jersey and the agents are clueless. The person in Tampa who was allegedly helping me with this issue has disappeared. They don't participate in Harp and they don't sell of their mortgages. They do offer an in house modification which will set you back $650 for a 1% decrease on your interest rate but no extension on the years. I'd avoid them if I were you. There are better credit unions out there.
Message 5 of 9
SPreb
Regular Contributor

Thanks USF..I was just reading reviews about Grow and it does look like a lot of people have issues. 

Message 6 of 9
patrick00032001
Regular Contributor

I am a member with GTE Financial as well, they basically allow any person to join through CU Savers, I applied in April of 2012 for their platinum visa and was instantly approved with a credit line of $8,800.00 and an APR of 8.99%, to get their best rate, 6.99%, you need to be a 770 or higher on Equifax, as at the time I applied I was 710! Their customer service is friendly, and thier website is clean and easy to navigate through, they do use a Beacon 5.0 score, same as you can buy here, and I do believe for me anyways, it was a hard pull to join, but none the less, worth it!

Discover IT $32,500, Chase Freedom $1,000.00, Sears Mastercard $10,000, Wal-Mart DC $10,000.00, Kohl's $3,000.00, Chase Slate $52,000.00, 3 Rivers FCU Platinum Mastercard $25,000.00, IU Credit Union $25,000.00, Penfed LOC $25,000.00, Fort Financial CU $15,000.00, Home Depot $22,000.00, Lowe's $20,000.00, Penfed Power Cash Rewards $25,000.00, PenFed Travel Amex $25,000.00, Value City Furniture $10,000.00, PNC Points Visa Signature $15,000.00, GM Buy Power card $5,000.00, BOA 123 Visa Siggy, $62,000.00, Citi DC $15,000.00, GM Extended Family $3,000.00, Fire, Police, City, County, FCU $10,000.00, TU 791, Eq 765, Exp 772

Message 7 of 9
USF813
Frequent Contributor

Your welcome. I got so fed up with Grow that I switched my direct deposit to NFCU. Fortunately I also have Delta Community CU and USF Federal from my college days. If I can ever refi my condo with someone else I'll close my Grow accounts for good.
Message 8 of 9
Hopelives2
Regular Contributor

My experience with Grow:

Moved to FL.  Had $22k cashier's check from a credit union in former state.  Certified funds Smiley Happy

Grow said fees to open were $25.  Then waived that after I signed.  Then said they were putting a hold on the certified fund check from another credit union (BOTH are NCUA).

I asked how long the hold would be in place because I needed to clear my first month's rent check ($2200).  Grow director said that'd be no problem, she'd clear enough to cover the check.

Rent check bounced.  Got charged $50 extra because of bounce.  I asked Grow to write a letter stating it was their mistake;

Grow refused and said the funds were earmarked as available that the mistake was on the apartment complex's side.

It was not.  BUT the $50 got refunded to me by the apt complex... (it was Grow's mistake; clearly seen when I got a transcript of my available and statement of account - director never made my funds available)

Grow was given lengthy dissertation on my former role as VP of Internal Audit, blah blah blah blah blah lemon vehicle blah blah blah GM bankruptcy blah blah blah ... and I was denied a home mortgage, 4 years post bk, 3 years post foreclosure with $20,000 down and income and excellent post - bk credit.

Grow gave me $2000 signature loan "to get to know me" ... paid on time, every time.

Son's father was gravely ill.  Son had never met father.  Took rent money to drive 3600 miles so son could meet father.  Rent was paid late but that pushed me into Christmas, and then Jan was looking a little bit off too.

Asked Grow to redo the $2000 sig loan that had been paid down to???  $1500 so that I could cover the difference between cash on hand and rent.

Grow told me to prove:

1)  my son's father died

2)  that he was my son's father

3)  that we really drove to that location

4)  that they'd never met (I #$#@ you not)

5)  receipts from trip

6) actual mileage

7)  death certificate

I did all that.

Then they denied me the redo on loan.

I'm a rent-an-exec.  I had no contract for March.  I was running behind in payments by about 10 days.  I asked if they could let me skip a payment to get things caught up.

Grow said to take a strong stick, shove it somewhere, and twirl around on it for fun.

I stayed caught up.  I kept current.

In August, I received a phone call while in a distant location stating my payment was 25 days past due.  I said can't be true, must be a mistake as I'd just paid 2 weeks earlier.

She said I had, but the teller did not tell me there was a balance due in July which was now 25 days past due.  I said how much.  $40.  I paid $45.  Asked teller if I was current.

"Yes, you just owe for August."

August payment went in for $100 (I owe $93).  Am I current?  

"Yes, you are due again in September."

I just received a phone call today informing me I was late.  I said, yes, 6 days late, it'll be paid on Friday when I'm back in town.

She said no, 36 days past due.

I freaked.  I fainted on the floor.  I wrote a 6 page letter to CEO, SVP/CFO, and SVP LP.  Am sending it CRRR.

I'm pissed... and scared given everything else I've experienced with them they will not correct their mistake.

Grow = run for your life; go to GTE, go to Navy, go to anywhere, but them... 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.