cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow with same lender or get in door with other lenders?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Grow with same lender or get in door with other lenders?

Is it better to grow with the same lender or get your foot in the door with different lenders?

I currently have a CC with each, Discover (it 24k), Chase (FU 12k), and Capital One (Spark 40k).

I want to build relationships with different lenders, such as Citi and Amex, but is it a good idea? Would that spook my current lenders I'm in with or make them jealous? Should I apply for more products with Chase and Cap1 since I'm already in with them? Should I get in the door with Citi and Amex as well, then apply for more products with all lenders I'm in with?

All opinions and suggestions are much appreciated!
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Grow with same lender or get in door with other lenders?

Remember, you are the consumer, make them work for your business.  I see no problem with having multiple lenders.  In time, you may come to favor one or more over the other(s) because of what they provide, but why limit yourself?  Somehow we seem to find ourselves behaving as if they are doing us a favor, but it is purely business.  Yes, I would agree that relationship banking can and does play a role at times in some situations.  However, that probably doesn't apply to most of us in most situations.  Just my two-cents.  

Message 2 of 9
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

I think it's better to have options with credit because you never know when a creditor will pull the rug out under you whether it's because of fraud temporairly shutting down the card up to an account review where they close your accounts. You don't necessairly have to spread your spend around all the cards if you already have a spending strategy to maximize returns but definitely have a backup plan in case anything happens.

Also, don't get cards simply because you want to get in with them but because they'll help you with rewards/cashback. Now if a card that helps now eventually gets SD because you have better options (or SUB chasing as well) that's fine just remember to walk that fine line. It can be a rewarding game but the game has rules as well.

Message 3 of 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

OP, just to level set, lenders do not get "jealous". That's a human emotion.
Financial institutions drive their results on business decisions not emotions.

To that end, it never hurts to expand your relationships with other institutions depending on what your financial goals are, whether short-term or long-term.

If you're already diversified with the lenders and their existing products then there's really no need to go beyond that unless you're exploring different options and those current products aren't meeting certain needs. It's a matter of personal preference.
Message 4 of 9
Kforce
Valued Contributor

You don't have all your eggs in one basket.

Get the card that works best for you, and don't even think about which issuer.

Message 5 of 9
Kree
Established Contributor

@FinStar wrote:
OP, just to level set, lenders do not get "jealous". That's a human emotion.

Except Barclay. They get jealous.

OP,  My oldest account was closed down because the bank was bought out.  I got a new account with a new number with the new bank.

Too many eggs in one basket could be a problem 10 years from now when your AoOA and AAoA suddenly drop because all your oldest accounts were with one institution that went bankrupt, or was bought out, or something. 

But since your current credit lines are at several different banks, it shouldn't make a difference if your younger accounts are with only 1 or 2.

Message 6 of 9
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Kree, I have several Barclays cards, some dating back 15+ years and there's never been a 'jealousy' issue.

If you're speaking from a risk-averse standpoint, yes Barclays has been known to be for a variety of folks, but those outcomes generally derive on that individual's overall profile when (and if) they decide to take any AA. But, it hasn't deterred the masses from applying for any of their products, especially the Uber CC. *shrug*
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with the above, your other lenders will not get jealous. With your high limits you'd be a prime candidate for AmEx to bend over backwards for. I'd give them a look and see which card fits your profile best.

Message 8 of 9
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

IMO, you always want at least a little diversifaction.   And this can be very small: suppose you found the the Chase cards fitted all your needs, and you had several, I would still suggest getting one card from another lender (and very rarely using it).

But the subject includes "get in door" which here often has another meaning:  "I really want card X from lender Y, but for whatever reason I don't think I can get it now.   So I will get card Z from them, to get my foot in the door."     I'm very against that strategy as I don't think we have evidence it helps at all.   Apply for the card you want when you stand a good chance of approval.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.