Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grown Up Credit Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Grown Up Credit Card

Would you suggest I apply for more than one credit card or just apply for one and wait

Message 11 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Check the Chase prequalify page first to see if they have any offers for you. I would also check the AMEX prequals. You might get something to pop up there as well.
Message 12 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I second the Amex prequal suggestion, found them to be right on the money
Message 13 of 24
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

If you think your scores are going to increase significantly within the next few weeks, certainly wait before applying as that will drastically improve your odds of a higher starting line and a lower APR. And fortunately all 3 of the lenders you mentioned have prequalification pages. Take a look at those, see if you have any solid or close range APRs listed on those, and then investigate which lender's card best suits your goals and spending habits.
Message 14 of 24
ExplicitElicit
Established Contributor

@Sandman771 wrote:

Not necessarily. If a family member is a veteran you can join. But in doing that it is better to call in and not try online. 

X2, my dad was in the military and was not a member. I just called in and explained his involvement in the armed forces, the dates he was active and where he was based. After about a 20 min conversation (they never once spoke with my father nor does he have an account) I was approved for a membership. The rep even asked if I wanted to apply for anything over the phone without another HP. Really easy to work with. 

Message 15 of 24
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@ExplicitElicit wrote:

@Sandman771 wrote:

Not necessarily. If a family member is a veteran you can join. But in doing that it is better to call in and not try online. 

X2, my dad was in the military and was not a member. I just called in and explained his involvement in the armed forces, the dates he was active and where he was based. After about a 20 min conversation (they never once spoke with my father nor does he have an account) I was approved for a membership. The rep even asked if I wanted to apply for anything over the phone without another HP. Really easy to work with. 

^^^ This.

I'll only add the caveat that I've never read of anybody getting NFCU to use the membership HP for a credit product - they are generally quick to HP for every credit product (with the notable exception of sometimes using a CLOC HP for an installment loan).

That said, for most people the HPs are well-worth it.  Smiley Happy

Message 16 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase told me i had no offers so I'm not sure if that'll lead me to be denied if i were to apply. AMEX showed that I qualified for both the BCE and Blue Cash Preferred. 

Message 17 of 24
IncrsCreditScore1
Valued Contributor

@Sandman771 wrote:

+1

January 2018 Scores - EQ 797 | TU 800 | EX 798 | ~~Started Gardening Again on March 21, 2017
Message 18 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update:

I applied for the Chase Freedom Unlimited and got aprroved with a $7,000 starting limit. Thats more than what I hoped for!

Thanks for all your helpSmiley Happy

Message 19 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats!! why not go for AMEX next?

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.