Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Growth Potential - Barclays vs Bank of America

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Growth Potential - Barclays vs Bank of America

Looking for opinions/thoughts/experiences here...

Which has better potential to grow? Bank of American or Barlcays?  I opened my Arrival in September and was insta approved for $10,000. My Bank of America Travel Rewards was opened in November with insta $6,000. I was able to close another card and move the line making it $10,800. So both these cards were opened within 2 months and have almost the same limits.

Which has the potential to grow, both better and faster, or better, or just faster. Thoughts? Not sure if WMC vs Visa Signature will have any play.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Growth Potential - Barclays vs Bank of America

@MstrPTato wrote:

Which has better potential to grow? Bank of American or Barlcays?  I opened my Arrival in September and was insta approved for $10,000. My Bank of America Travel Rewards was opened in November with insta $6,000. I was able to close another card and move the line making it $10,800. So both these cards were opened within 2 months and have almost the same limits.

Which has the potential to grow, both better and faster, or better, or just faster. Thoughts? Not sure if WMC vs Visa Signature will have any play.

Barclays if your profile supports it.

Message 2 of 9
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

I think it depends on a few factors. For me, Barclays has never granted CLI automatically or after a hard pull, probably because I add new accounts routinely. BoA on the other hand has been good for doubling the limit on my Cash Rewards card just about every 6 months. I had to ask for reconsideration a few years ago when I applied, was given a starting limit of 2500, now it's at 25k limit.

ETA:  BoA has always been a TU hard pull, but they have always done their best to fulfill my request. 

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@MstrPTato wrote:

Can you elaborate Nixon. I value your feedback.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MstrPTato wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@MstrPTato wrote:

Can you elaborate Nixon. I value your feedback.

If you're not constantly adding new accounts like B335i, then Barclays tends to be more loyal with CLI's as long as your profile stays in good shape. BoA is much more YMMV and typically wants HP for CLI.

Message 5 of 9
quickstrike
Valued Member

I think if you want to bank with Bank of America, you'll have more growth potential because they tend to provide better service/benefits to those who bank with them such as the Preferred Rewards program.  Bank of America also has a slightly more diverse set of credit cards so you also have a better opportunity to product change to something else.  But if you don't want to bank with them, you'll do just fine with Barclays.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@quickstrike wrote:

I think if you want to bank with Bank of America, you'll have more growth potential because they tend to provide better service/benefits to those who bank with them such as the Preferred Rewards program.  Bank of America also has a slightly more diverse set of credit cards so you also have a better opportunity to product change to something else.  But if you don't want to bank with them, you'll do just fine with Barclays.

Except they've pretty much eliminated product changes.

Message 7 of 9
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Anecdotally it seems as though Barclay is much better about growing with you vs BOA. I've heard plenty of people with BOA cards from years ago who have since improved their scores still stuck at a 500 limit/or have an AF and BOA won't budge on anything. Barclay, by contrast, seems to usually reward with CLI if you use the card semi frequently.

Message 8 of 9
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

I have no recent experience with BofA.  For me Barclays has been just stellar. 

First card Rewards MC, instant approved for $1.3K reconed to $3K.  At 6th statement auto CLI to $5.2K .  Got Arrival 01/14 at $5K - few months later closed Rewards MC and moved limit to Arrival.  Opened US Airways 12/14 at $5K.  Today received $4K CLI on Arrival for $14.2K CL. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.