cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guaranteed Amex Approval? Is this a scam????

tag
striper
Established Member

Guaranteed Amex Approval? Is this a scam????

I came accross this ad on Craigs List.  What do you think?  Looks shady:

APPROVAL FOR AN AMEX CARD--REGARDLESS OF BAD CREDIT--READ FOR DETAILS (Midtown West)

Reply to: serv-879798655@craigslist.org [?]
Date: 2008-10-15, 1:06AM EDT

Hi Everyone, if you have bad credit in the form of delinguent accounts, latenesses, or charge offs, I can still guarantee you an American Express card.
Please note that if you have bankruptcy or any charge offs with American Express, you will not qualify!

This is 100% legitimate and you dont pay unless I get you approved!

I am a certified financial planner who has been helping individuals restore theu credit and get their lives back. My fee in securing the card for you is $500.

Please note that I do not accept credit card payments, money orders or paypal.
I only accept Cash so you must live in New York. If you live outside New York, I can still help you but need a guarantee that you will pay once you receive approval.

Please note that I do not do business via internet. Thank you.

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Guaranteed Amex Approval? Is this a scam????

possible way for someone to get you to give you all their info to "get the card"
Message 2 of 26
Uncle_Money
Established Contributor

I would stay FAR away from this offer, and anything like it. Amex, or any other prime lender for that matter will simpy not issue credit to someone who has these types of blemishes on their report.

Personal: American Express Platinum - NPSL | American Express Blue Cash Preferred - $15,000 | Chase Sapphire Reserve - $38,500 | Chase Amazon Prime Visa - $7,200 | Chase Freedom - $500 | Barclaycard Arrival+ - $18,600 | PenFed Platinum Rewards - $25,000 | PenFed LOC - $10,000 | Navy Federal Credit Union Platinum Visa - $25,000 | Navy Federal Credit Union LOC - $10,000 | Citi Double Cash - $12,170 | Citizens Cash Back+ - $8,650 | Citizens LOC Overdraft - $8,000 | Discover - $10,000 | Capital One Quicksilver One - $3,600 | Capital One Platinum - $750 | Valero - $600 | Dell - $3,000 | Lowes Advantage - $30,000 | Macys Amex - $25,000 | The Home Depot - $7,500 | Tourneau - $15,000
Business: American Express Business Platinum Card - NPSL | American Express Plum Card - NPSL | American Express SimplyCash Plus - $10,000 | American Express Gold Card - NPSL | Bank of America Cash Rewards - $100,000 | Capital One Spark Business - $54,000 | Chase Business Preferred - $34,000 | Chase Business Ink - $15,000 | PNC Bank Cash Rewards Visa Signature - $19,000 | PNC LOC $100,000 | BP Business Solutions - $1,500 | KeyBank Mastercard - $6,000 | Staples More Account - $3,500

Message 3 of 26
MsKiwi
Established Contributor

scam. Like mamma used to say "If it sounds to good to be true..........."
Message 4 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

That looks seriously dodgy to me... it has 'scam' written all over it. There's something definitely not right about it...

And edited to say... it almost sounds like they're 'guaranteeing' you an AU card. In return for all your information and a nice hefty fee. Steer well clear. 

Message Edited by fevmlo on 10-16-2008 07:46 AM
Message 5 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Defenetly scam.
Message 6 of 26
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

Definitely seems fishy. I'd like to think that if this were legitimate at least some of us here on the boards would know about it by now.
Here we go again...
Message 7 of 26
striper
Established Member

The odd thing is that upon replying to the ad, the person behind it is a "certified financial planner" with a website and business.

Message 8 of 26
score_building
Senior Contributor

that's a good point Fretless.  it would seem unlikely that nobody here at all had any knowledge of such an opportunity if a legitimate one like this existed.  i doubt it's some brand new program for amex entre dreamt up during the credit crunch as a way to...? increase amexes exposure to default risk, just implausible

there are several things that are a bit suspect about the 'offer' including the demand for cash only payment. 

@striper wrote:

The odd thing is that upon replying to the ad, the person behind it is a "certified financial planner" with a website and business.

he's got a website and business that accepts cash only...? 

Message Edited by score_building on 10-16-2008 08:34 AM
DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 9 of 26
striper
Established Member

Here is my take.  Either this guy is for real, and has a friend in the approval/application department; or this guy has a friend on the other end of the phone pretending to be an Amex representative and approves the on-phone application.

But if it is the first, then its only a matter of time before Amex reviews the credit and cancels the acct since it wouldnt have been approved in the first place.

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.