Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guess HSBC-only branded credit cards are moving up to prime land

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Guess HSBC-only branded credit cards are moving up to prime land

It seems like only a few months ago applying for an HSBC card directly from their website would get you some sort of unsecured card even if it did have af's and low credit limits. This was the case even if your credit score or report weren't so great. Now it seems most people are only being offered their secured card from the pre selector site. Orchard and Best Buy are still the same but HSBC itself isn't. I'm curious if they are actually trying to get back into prime status for their HSBC only cards or if something else is going on.

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Guess HSBC-only branded credit cards are moving up to prime land

I got offered the Gold from HSBC just like the Gold I got with Best Buy. however when I applied it told me I was just recently approved for HSBC card so could not get it.

I think the only prime cards they have are like the GM card and some of there store cards, Neiman Marcus, Saks

Message 2 of 22
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It seems like only a few months ago applying for an HSBC card directly from their website would get you some sort of unsecured card even if it did have af's and low credit limits. This was the case even if your credit score or report weren't so great. Now it seems most people are only being offered their secured card from the pre selector site. Orchard and Best Buy are still the same but HSBC itself isn't. I'm curious if they are actually trying to get back into prime status for their HSBC only cards or if something else is going on.

How do you know what most people were being offered before and now?

Message 3 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Creditaddict wrote:

I got offered the Gold from HSBC just like the Gold I got with Best Buy. however when I applied it told me I was just recently approved for HSBC card so could not get it.

I think the only prime cards they have are like the GM card and some of there store cards, Neiman Marcus, Saks

If you don't mind me asking, when did you last apply and what are your current scores? I used the pre selector site a few months ago and got offered the gold too but when I tried it again yesterday it only offered me a secured. This taking into consideration that my scores have gone up.

Message 4 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Wolf3 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Besides myself and a few other guys I work with that form our own little "credit repair anonymous" group, I've also noticed it on other forums.

Message 5 of 22
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

does anyone know how long I have to wait from when I open the Best Buy MC and when I can open an HSBC Card?

My EQ is 610.

When I got approved for the best buy mc, I started pushing it to all my friends with bad credit, if you do a search you will see my post with all there scores and results, it approved gold with scores in the 490's range!! and I help that friend pull his fico report before applying, he had 90k in credit card debts that had been charged off, not a single good account on file and he was approved for gold no af $300!!! he laughed about it.

Message 6 of 22
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Wolf3 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Besides myself and a few other guys I work with that form our own little "credit repair anonymous" group, I've also noticed it on other forums.

+1 on your guess

Message 7 of 22
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I was just pre approved for the platinum but it had a $59 annual fee, that's funny because last month when I was pre-approved for the Gold it had no annual fee... Dear HSBC, that's really backwards! I didn't apply!

Message 8 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

What I find intersting is that you can no longer apply for a credit card from their website, take a look and you'll notice there is nothing there to actually apply:

http://www.us.hsbc.com/1/2/3/personal?home=personal

Yes, I know the pre-approval link still exists but the only way to find it is to google "hsbc apply" and its like th 5th link listed. It's not linked from any main site so how would potential customers find it? This would be a terrible way to find new customers which leads me to believe something is up.

Message 9 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

You also can't find it on http://www.hsbccreditcard.com. There are no products available.

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.