cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guess I haven't learned the secret yet to CLIs.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Guess I haven't learned the secret yet to CLIs.

don't let people freak you out about lenders.
Message 11 of 30
elim
Senior Contributor

I would definately combine all those cap1 cards online,  then call Credit Solutions today and ask for CLI's on all Synchrony cards (great time to up them).

Credit Solutions 877-379-8173

Message 12 of 30
baller4life
Super Contributor

@DeeBee78 wrote:

@Benzman wrote:

Have acquired quite a few Master/Visa cards over the past two years, most starting out with lower limits around $2,500. I have got one or two CLIs in that time, but most card companies are saying "we cannot approve a CLI at this time due to insufficient experience of your current credit limit", or "your payments are not high enough". Granted, I am retired on disability, my debt ratio is less than 4%, scores in the upper 600s/lower 700s, with no late pays, collections, or other baddies, and maybe have total debt of approx $2,600 overall, sio I would think it isn't too bad. I always pay my smaller amounts in full, and the larger ones ($500+) are still on free interest promos but I still pay more than the minimum..

What I find interesting is reading all these posts on MF of members saying they got CLI even before using their new card, or hitting luv button when they first get the card, and having success. It just isn't working for me. Plus, how do you folks get these credit totals in the 100-200k range. It just amazes me. Any help is appreciated.

I'll let you in on a secret. Most people in these forums that claim $100K+ of credit have it tied up in store cards. I have $72K in credit lines, but only $13,400 is in Visa/MC's. 

For your Synchrony cards, I would call credit solutions and request your CLI's through them. The Chat/Luv buttons are only good for some people. 

For your Capital One cards, I'd combine all of them into a single Venture or Quicksilver (depending on what meets your needs).

Ummm most? That's not exactly true. MANY of us have the majority of our credit limits in major bank/cu cards. I'm north of $200k and only $37k of that is store cards. 

Message 13 of 30
elim
Senior Contributor

@baller4life wrote:

@DeeBee78 wrote:

@Benzman wrote:

Have acquired quite a few Master/Visa cards over the past two years, most starting out with lower limits around $2,500. I have got one or two CLIs in that time, but most card companies are saying "we cannot approve a CLI at this time due to insufficient experience of your current credit limit", or "your payments are not high enough". Granted, I am retired on disability, my debt ratio is less than 4%, scores in the upper 600s/lower 700s, with no late pays, collections, or other baddies, and maybe have total debt of approx $2,600 overall, sio I would think it isn't too bad. I always pay my smaller amounts in full, and the larger ones ($500+) are still on free interest promos but I still pay more than the minimum..

What I find interesting is reading all these posts on MF of members saying they got CLI even before using their new card, or hitting luv button when they first get the card, and having success. It just isn't working for me. Plus, how do you folks get these credit totals in the 100-200k range. It just amazes me. Any help is appreciated.

I'll let you in on a secret. Most people in these forums that claim $100K+ of credit have it tied up in store cards. I have $72K in credit lines, but only $13,400 is in Visa/MC's. 

For your Synchrony cards, I would call credit solutions and request your CLI's through them. The Chat/Luv buttons are only good for some people. 

For your Capital One cards, I'd combine all of them into a single Venture or Quicksilver (depending on what meets your needs).

Ummm most? That's not exactly true. MANY of us have the majority of our credit limits in major bank/cu cards. I'm north of $200k and only $37k of that is store cards. 

+1  not a store card collector here 3 to 1 ratio

Message 14 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@baller4life wrote:

@DeeBee78 wrote:

@Benzman wrote:

I have very little credit with store cards, as well. Generalizations are never absolute. 

Message 15 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

maybe "most" wasn't a good term but it's still common. i am no where near a lot of people in terms of CLs (only about $84k) but $60k of it is regular MC/visa/discover/amex
Message 16 of 30
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

@DeeBee78 wrote:

He has several decent cards already, especially for someone on fixed income:

Higher credit limits + fixed income = invitation to more debt?

Message 17 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

^ i wouldn't assume that. i have 80x more CL than my monthly spend and i can say i don't have CC debt.
Message 18 of 30
NRB525
Super Contributor

Zero store cards here. I got in the habit of not being able to apply for credit generally, and only being interested in those cards that could get me a low APR BT offer Smiley Happy

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 19 of 30
NRB525
Super Contributor

Combine the Capital One cards into your best APR among those cards.

Call US Bank to see if they can PC your Platinum into a Cash+. If so, it will have to go to $5k, but it is possible.

Consider closing the Slate to combine that limit in with the Freedom card.

Discover has a SP CLI request. Nothing there?

You can ask BofA to run a hard pull on your report, ask for a larger line like $10k and they will do a serious review, should come back with something.

Close several cards to allow your credit report to get uncluttered. This mass of cards may be making the algorithms think you have adequate credit:

I would close Overstock, Old Navy, Banana Republic, American Eagle, EBates, WalMart store card. If you get Cash+, you can select "department stores" to cover many of these for 5% back.

Check the Citi credit card prequalification tool. If something like Double Cash or Simplicity comes back with a single APR after the Promo 0% APR runs out, that's a good sign those cards may be approved.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 20 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.