Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guess Who has EMV terminal here?

tag
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Re: Guess Who has EMV terminal here?

Just went to my local Walmart store and tried BofA Travel Rewards and AMEX BCE EMV there. Neither card is working on the chip slot, even though the terminal says swipe or insert. My local Walmart store hasn't turned on EMV yet.

Like I said, the 1,000 stores that has them are mostly the one frequent by travelers.

Message 21 of 30
Ron1
Super Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

Just went to my local Walmart store and tried BofA Travel Rewards and AMEX BCE EMV there. Neither card is working on the chip slot, even though the terminal says swipe or insert. My local Walmart store hasn't turned on EMV yet.

Like I said, the 1,000 stores that has them are mostly the one frequent by travelers.

I used at the two different Walmart Supercenter. The one has the grocery section.  The terminal at the self-checkout.

Ron.

Message 22 of 30
tjrssibelle
Valued Member

Just came from a Wal-Mart supercenter in the south Florida region and the self check out terminal asked me to slide in my BOA travel rewards card for payment.

Gardening as of 9/6/13
Message 23 of 30
TrulyyBlessed
Regular Contributor

@Ron1 wrote:

I used it again at Walmart checkout again. Here it is:

photo-4.jpg

Thanks for the pic...awesome!

Starting Score: Nov. 2012 585
Current Score: EQ 733 EX 777 TU 743 Goal Score: 750+

Message 24 of 30
nyancat
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Noticed our local United States Post Office has a terminal with the chip card option Have not used it.

Unless something changed very recently, they don't work. Here's a list of shops in my town where I've shopped with DISABLED EMV readers (the point is to show USPS isn't alone):

Wet Seal, Lowes, Home Depot, Staples, Walgreens, USPS, Wendy's, Sears, Rosauer's, Best Buy, Ross, ULTA, AT&T, Old Navy, Walmart (one of two stores, the other has it enabled), Albertson's

That's just a list of a few places I can name off the top of my head where they have non-functional (disabled) EMV card readers. The issue isn't getting readers out there, there are plenty. It's getting merchants to agree to turn them on to protect their customers. Merchants want to wait until the absolute last minute to turn them on to save support work (or rather, defer it).

American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 25 of 30
nyancat
Established Contributor

@Ron1 wrote:

@Untitled wrote:

I went to walmart, and had the same experience with my BCE. I was wondering how to use the EMV anyways. Smiley Happy

You need to swipe your Amex BCE first. So the terminal recogize your EMV card first. I tried it to insert the card first. The card slot didn't know the card inserted into the card slot.  I couldn't remove the card when the termnal authjorized the transaction until it was done.

Ron.

I've used it at Walmart many times, you absolutely don't need to swipe the card first. Just insert it, it works fine. If it didn't, it didn't see the card for some reason or it wasn't fully inserted. 

Yes, with EMV you MUST wait until the transaction is finished to remove the card or the transaction will cancel!

American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 26 of 30
MACFRME
Frequent Contributor

I was very surpised when I visited Wal-Mart this week, and I swiped my card. It said "XXX card read error." I was trying to use my EMV Fidelity AmEx. I soon discovered the chip card slot, and it worked. The cashier said they were installed last week, and apparently, they are already up and running too.

Cards I Carry
$7.5K $23K $5k $300(SEC) $500 $300 $1,500 $800 $800
Total Available Credit: $39.7k | FICOS: EX 659 | EQ 661 | TU 673
Message 27 of 30
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

I visited one of my local business suppliers last week in central Florida (cabinet hardware, plywood and lumber). Local only family owned company that I have been doing business with for about 15 years. They took my order normally and when it was time to pay I handed them a credit card as I have for 15 years. He handed it back and told me to use the new machine, customer swipes the card. I saw the EMV slot and asked if it was active. Blank stare, he had no idea what it was. I popped in my CSP and it worked. Receipt printed and I signed. First time it was ever used and it became a training exercise for everyone at the counter (customers and employees). Safe to say I might be the only user for EMV cards as most of the customers are so old school they still pay in cash. 

Side note, new type of scratches on the CSP now from inserting in the machine for EMV. Figures. 

Side note 2, I bet I could cover the $10K spend for 100K AA miles for another AA Exec card just by standing at the counter for one morning and taking cash then swiping my card (oops I mean using the EMV chip). I know just about all the customers and these good old boys would have no issue doing it, same with owners.

Message 28 of 30
Leadberry
Established Contributor

We just activated EMV at my local Walmart this past Friday. While the original 100 stores were traveler-centric, such isn't the case with the latest round of activations. I'm in northeast Ohio...tourism isn't exactly a staple of our local economy.

FICO Scores 800+
Message 29 of 30
john398
Senior Contributor

@scenery_guy wrote:

I visited one of my local business suppliers last week in central Florida (cabinet hardware, plywood and lumber). Local only family owned company that I have been doing business with for about 15 years. They took my order normally and when it was time to pay I handed them a credit card as I have for 15 years. He handed it back and told me to use the new machine, customer swipes the card. I saw the EMV slot and asked if it was active. Blank stare, he had no idea what it was. I popped in my CSP and it worked. Receipt printed and I signed. First time it was ever used and it became a training exercise for everyone at the counter (customers and employees). Safe to say I might be the only user for EMV cards as most of the customers are so old school they still pay in cash. 

Side note, new type of scratches on the CSP now from inserting in the machine for EMV. Figures. 

Side note 2, I bet I could cover the $10K spend for 100K AA miles for another AA Exec card just by standing at the counter for one morning and taking cash then swiping my card (oops I mean using the EMV chip). I know just about all the customers and these good old boys would have no issue doing it, same with owners.

Thats odd the owners rather take credit cartd and pay a fee than take cash, seems unusual

Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.