Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guess Who has EMV terminal here?

tag
Ron1
Super Contributor

Guess Who has EMV terminal here?

I went to my local Walmart Supercenter to buy groceries. I went to self-checkout. I chose credit card payment on the screen as the payment option. It asked me to slide the card on the PIN PAD. The screen kept asking me to insert card to the PIN PAD. I didn't understand. I kept sliding the card for a couple of times. I asked one of the attendant coming to help. He told me they re-program the credit card terminal for the special cards. He told me I needed to insert my Amex Everyday Card to the card slot at the bottom of the credit card terminal. It was showing the American Express transaction has been Approved, No Signature was required. I didn't believe I could use my Amex Everyday EMV card at Walmart.

Ron.

Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
JoshuaHolySpirit
Frequent Contributor

Re: Guess Who has EMV terminal here?

@Ron1 wrote:

I went to my local Walmart Supercenter to buy groceries. I went to self-checkout. I chose credit card payment on the screen as the payment option. It asked me to slide the card on the PIN PAD. The screen kept asking me to insert card to the PIN PAD. I didn't understand. I kept sliding the card for a couple of times. I asked one of the attendant coming to help. He told me they re-program the credit card terminal for the special cards. He told me I needed to insert my Amex Everyday Card to the card slot at the bottom of the credit card terminal. It was showing the American Express transaction has been Approved, No Signature was required. I didn't believe I could use my Amex Everyday EMV card at Walmart.

Ron.

Interesting, did they ask you to enter any PIN numbers? So it seems like Chip&sig ''without the sig'' then. I wonder how to use that in other countries since the terminals ask for PIN or sign the slip. However, yours was a self service. Good stuff, EMV in USA success story. Maybe the ''without the sig'' is only on the Amex network or for small purchases, any thoughts? Is it the same with Visa/Master-EMV-USA? or is it like Paywave/ Tap&Pay devices?

Capital One QS1, Capital One Journey, Williams-Sonoma Visa, Amex Travelocity, Chase Slate, Amex SPG, Amex Blue Sky, Bank of America Travel Rewards, JCPenney...and more ( Holy Spirit rocks-!! ) TU-Fico-777
Message 2 of 30
YahComb
Established Contributor

Over at FT, word Is Walmart just turned on emv at about 1000 stores. I haven't been to my local one yet maybe I'll go after work today. Wait never mind I'm not carrying either of my emv cards in my wallet today
EQ-736(08/14) TU-752(09/14)
Newest to Oldest
Barc Sallie Mae 6K | Citi TY Pref 4.5K | US Bank Cash+ 10K | Chase Freedom 11.7K | Disc It 10.5K | Amazon Store 2.5K | BOA Cash Rewards 10.5K |

Closed Cards: 4 Oldest: 3yrs AAOA: 2yrs
Message 3 of 30
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@JoshuaHolySpirit wrote:

@Ron1 wrote:

Ron.

Interesting, did they ask you to enter any PIN numbers? So it seems like Chip&sig ''without the sig'' then. I wonder how to use that in other countries since the terminals ask for PIN or sign the slip. However, yours was a self service. Good stuff, EMV in USA success story. Maybe the ''without the sig'' is only on the Amex network or for small purchases, any thoughts? Is it the same with Visa/Master-EMV-USA? or is it like Paywave/ Tap&Pay devices?

Was the transaction amount fairly small?   In some cases, as on the London Tube, chip cards are accepted without the need for PIN or Sig at some machines (as is swipe).

I didn't believe I could use my Amex Everyday EMV card at Walmart.

You can use it, just don't get the bonus points for supermarket

Message 4 of 30
Ron1
Super Contributor

@JoshuaHolySpirit wrote:

@Ron1 wrote:

Ron.

It didn't ask to enter the PIN. I didn't any PIN. The terminal look similar to this one.

224816007.html.jpg

Ron.

Message 5 of 30
Ron1
Super Contributor

Message 6 of 30
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Walmart has about 4,800 stores. The 1,000 stores that have EMV turned on are mostly the one that is frequented by travelers.

My local Walmart store has EMV capable terminal since two years ago. Last time I tried it with a chip card it doesn't work.

Message 7 of 30
Ron1
Super Contributor

Not every one will work. The one only takes credit cards only. No debit cards. 

Ron.

Message 8 of 30
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@Ron1 wrote:

Ron.

The last time I tried it was with Citi Dividend chip card.

To me all Walmart stores have EMV terminal years ago, they just haven't turned on the chip funtion.

Message 9 of 30
Ron1
Super Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

@Ron1 wrote:

Ron.

The last time I tried it was with Citi Dividend chip card.

To me all Walmart stores have EMV terminal years ago, they just haven't turned on the chip funtion.

I tried with my Amex Everyday card at Walmart last night. I swept my card first. The terminal kept voiding my transaction. It kept asking me to insert the card.  I asked the Walmart attendant for assistance. He told me someone re-programmed the self-check out last week.  I need to insert the card into the smart card slot. It was so new. He didn't know how to insert the card. I had to play around with the thing. Smiley Happy I haven't tried with my other cards.

Ron.

Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.