Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guess every credit journey is different ...Thanks myfico

tag
financekid
Established Member

Guess every credit journey is different ...Thanks myfico

Hi everyone, have been hooked on this forum hubby thinks I am obsessing but  here is my story.

Moved here from the UK late summer had fantastic credit there but Zero history here, tried to apply for same cards I had there everyone declined meMan Sad same reason thin file I don't even have a FICO score yet lol. I found this board and you have all been so helpful, learnt a lot. According to this board I had 2 options get hubby to put me on his history ( not an option he has lived in Europe for  last 5 years so his is shot).

2nd option secured cards so I went ahead got Cap1 $500 CL, BofA $500, so came back to the board decided to garden them as the board suggested for next 6 months which seemed like a great idea since I wont have a FICO score till March/April anyway.

This is where my story get a little weird, I thought one more and then I will give up, applied for Discover card was told in to call to verify info and was approved for 1.5k not huge I know but in my case OK, is this normal I have only had my secured cards since November? Anyone else had this happen to them ( hubby thinks rep fell for my accent lol).

Thank you everyone , Happy holiday

Starting Score: FAKOS EQ 627 TU 687 EX 627 CK 713 (12/12)
Current Scores: FICOs EQ 698 TU 708 (7/13)
Goal Scores : 720+ across the board..........no apps till Jan 2014

In wallet:CAP1 (Closed)/BOA CASH (5k)/DISCOVER (5.5k)/CHASE FREEDOM (3k)/BARCLAYS (3.3k)/AMEX BCE(1k)
Future wallet: Citi,
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
SpiceIslander
Frequent Contributor

Re: Guess every credit journey is different ...Thanks myfico

Welcome to the forums and congrats on your approvals! I'm surprised that Discover gave you 1.5k but that's great. Try to stay in the garden now and take care of your cards. Best of luck!

Meg.

FICO: 4/2016 - TU 841 | EQ 840 | EX 837

FNBO 23,600 | Amex SPG 13,900 | Amex BCP 13,400 | Barclays/Sallie Mae13,000 | Discover IT 12,500 | Lowes 10,000 | PLOC 9,300 | NASA FCU 8,700 | Citi Simplicity 6,200 | BOA Platinum+ 6,000 | Achieva CU 5,500 | Chase CSP 5,000 | Sam's Club 3,000 | Sears 900
Message 2 of 11
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

If you are asking if they are playing a sophisticated prank on you, I don't think so. Smiley Tongue

Congratulations on the card, and when it shows up treat it well. In 6 months or a year you will probably be ready for bigger limits and even more cards. 

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 3 of 11
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

Congrats! Keep up the good work! Smiley Happy
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 4 of 11
eviLution
Established Contributor

@financekid wrote:

Hi everyone, have been hooked on this forum hubby thinks I am obsessing but  here is my story.

Moved here from the UK late summer had fantastic credit there but Zero history here, tried to apply for same cards I had there everyone declined meMan Sad same reason thin file I don't even have a FICO score yet lol. I found this board and you have all been so helpful, learnt a lot. According to this board I had 2 options get hubby to put me on his history ( not an option he has lived in Europe for  last 5 years so his is shot).

2nd option secured cards so I went ahead got Cap1 $500 CL, BofA $500, so came back to the board decided to garden them as the board suggested for next 6 months which seemed like a great idea since I wont have a FICO score till March/April anyway.

This is where my story get a little weird, I thought one more and then I will give up, applied for Discover card was told in to call to verify info and was approved for 1.5k not huge I know but in my case OK, is this normal I have only had my secured cards since November? Anyone else had this happen to them ( hubby thinks rep fell for my accent lol).

Thank you everyone , Happy holiday

Wow, I didn't think anybody would be approved with a thin file with only 2 months of history! Congrats!

DCU Platinum: 4000 - Discover IT: 11000 - Walmart: 5000 - AMEX BCP: 18000 - Chase Freedom VS: 5000
in the garden since 1/24/14 - #GARDENSTRONG
Message 5 of 11
financekid
Established Member

Re: Guess every credit journey is different ..Thanks myfico

I am a bit surprised myself, although to clarify I had to speak to a supervisor some nice guy from Delaware and had to explain my story -the smallest limit I have back in the UK is about 5k although I don't think that matters right. Well we will see card is supposed to be here by Monday.Smiley Happy

Still the info on the board has taught me a lot about American credit, thanks.

Starting Score: FAKOS EQ 627 TU 687 EX 627 CK 713 (12/12)
Current Scores: FICOs EQ 698 TU 708 (7/13)
Goal Scores : 720+ across the board..........no apps till Jan 2014

In wallet:CAP1 (Closed)/BOA CASH (5k)/DISCOVER (5.5k)/CHASE FREEDOM (3k)/BARCLAYS (3.3k)/AMEX BCE(1k)
Future wallet: Citi,
Message 6 of 11
bs6054
Valued Contributor

Re: Guess every credit journey is different ..Thanks myfico

@financekid wrote:

I am a bit surprised myself, although to clarify I had to speak to a supervisor some nice guy from Delaware and had to explain my story -the smallest limit I have back in the UK is about 5k although I don't think that matters right. Well we will see card is supposed to be here by Monday.Smiley Happy

Still the info on the board has taught me a lot about American credit, thanks.

I know some of the pain.  I came from the UK nearly 30 years ago, good credit there (although not 5K GBP then, that was a fortune!) but nothing transfers.  I was wondering if things are different now, with Capital One cards in both places, Barclays with a big presence here now, but probably not.

I ended up getting my first US card from my bank (a predecessor of Bank of America) and once I had that for a while, other stuff fell into place.   Have you looked at Capital One for Newcomers?  Horrible APR but meant to be designed for this situation?  Probably not needed now you have discover.

Message 7 of 11
maceto
Contributor

HSBC and Barclays both transfer if you have $150K in investments/holdings - different requirements for US than UK to get Premier with HSBC . Barclays has an offshore account that would get you going, but again the $150K... Other options is to cheat the system as I did with an AU account going back 12 years I now have two auto loans and over 120K credit with Amex/Chase/City all in less than 9 months of "official" history

There are even firms you can pay to be added as AU's on strangers accounts- but cost you a lot! I got a guy where I started to work to add me to a card, once we got the card we cut it up (but was then AU on 40K credit line) and was added on an Amex with 25K (set spending limit can be set online with Amex) and off I went
Message 8 of 11
bs6054
Valued Contributor

When you say that Barclays and HSBC transfer (with $150K) what do you mean?   That they will give an equivalent US credit card, or that somehow they will get your UK credit history accepted by TU/EX/EQ?

Message 9 of 11
maceto
Contributor

Don't quote me on exactly 150K- they will set you up with more or less same as UK- credit card in hand when you land, ban account, mortgage, 401K you name it. So you jump all these issues like secure credit card, 500 credit line with Macy's etc. So if you got money they treat you well, don't.. like **bleep**, even if banking with them for years in the UK. I did not have the money, but I looked into all of this before moving to the US 1.5 years ago
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.