Guesstimate how long I should garden

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Guesstimate how long I should garden

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You've already got a 5% category card (Discover), and two Quicksilvers which if the threads are correct you can now conslidate through Capital One to make one big one, and an AMEX card for Gas and Groceries.  Double Cash is alright, but the difference between 1.5% on QS and 2% on DC is not a lot, hell even the difference between 1% and 2% isn't enough to justify. 

Thanks for the input, JonE. I considered consolidating the Quicksilvers, but I thought maybe it would be better to leave them as two separate tradelines so they could pad my file a little with good standing accounts. What do you guys think about this? I also struggle with the 1.5 to 2% issue. I feel like I am leaving money on the table if I don't maximize rewards. For example, my boyfriend pretty much uses the QS1 for everything. It bothers me because I know that I could be getting the 2% if he would just pick the Discover card to use. Free money just for using a different card, right?

That's part of the reason I would like the Chase combo because it is so effective for combining points, and that's only two cards.  Why I don't like putting 2% purchases on one card, general purchases on another, 5% categories on another.  Use two Chase cards together and you can come up with some pretty good UR points totals between the two of them.  It amuses me when people want to maximize rewards when spreading them out among 4-5 cards or more is the exact polar opposite of maximizing.  Then you have uncompatible rewards systems that spread out your spending, with cards you only use occassionally. 

Good point about spreading them out. I only have cash back cards so I never gave any thought to a point system. I have actually never cashed in any of the rewards. I just thought I would save them until the end of the year and then cash them in for statement credits on each of the cards.

Message 11 of 12
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Guesstimate how long I should garden

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You've already got a 5% category card (Discover), and two Quicksilvers which if the threads are correct you can now conslidate through Capital One to make one big one, and an AMEX card for Gas and Groceries.  Double Cash is alright, but the difference between 1.5% on QS and 2% on DC is not a lot, hell even the difference between 1% and 2% isn't enough to justify. 

Thanks for the input, JonE. I considered consolidating the Quicksilvers, but I thought maybe it would be better to leave them as two separate tradelines so they could pad my file a little with good standing accounts. What do you guys think about this? I also struggle with the 1.5 to 2% issue. I feel like I am leaving money on the table if I don't maximize rewards. For example, my boyfriend pretty much uses the QS1 for everything. It bothers me because I know that I could be getting the 2% if he would just pick the Discover card to use. Free money just for using a different card, right?

That's part of the reason I would like the Chase combo because it is so effective for combining points, and that's only two cards.  Why I don't like putting 2% purchases on one card, general purchases on another, 5% categories on another.  Use two Chase cards together and you can come up with some pretty good UR points totals between the two of them.  It amuses me when people want to maximize rewards when spreading them out among 4-5 cards or more is the exact polar opposite of maximizing.  Then you have uncompatible rewards systems that spread out your spending, with cards you only use occassionally. 

Good point about spreading them out. I only have cash back cards so I never gave any thought to a point system. I have actually never cashed in any of the rewards. I just thought I would save them until the end of the year and then cash them in for statement credits on each of the cards.

I kind of have the same issue with regard to spreading out rewards. Some days, it just really drives me nuts and I feel like closing all but 2 cards haha.

The time/effort invested just becomes less and less justifiable for me. My QS gives 1.5% back, so that's my bills and general purchases. My Discover is for the 5% periods. My Cash+ is now my fast food/restaurant card (although 2% restaurant vs 1.5% on my QS is neglible). My Amex BCE doesn't see a ton of use, but it's for groceries that I don't buy at BJ's. The BJ's card is 5% at BJ's and I have a debit Redcard for Target. I selected dept stores for my other 5% cat on Cash+ because I go to Kohl's and Sears somewhat often.

Some days I just wish all of the rewards were consolidated onto one card. I am less than impressed with BCE...the redemption minimums are a serious pain in the butt for me. I have $20.04 in rewards that I can do absolutely nothing with, and it takes two months for them to actually update....it's ridiculous for a company with such a great reputation. Their rewards system needs a ton of work, at least with regards to cash back.

I would never close my Discover or QS but really, I could live without the rest. I am planning to basically SD my BCE at the very least. It's not worth carrying it around. I may just switch my Cash+ to 2% groceries down the road instead since they don't make me wait for any amount to redeem as statement credit (yes, 2% is less than 3%, but at this point I just really don't care; my actual spend at the regular grocery store is not a ton).

Sometimes, I just remember how much simpler life was when all I had was my Discover. I just used it and paid it off every month and racked up what I felt like was a lot of cash (and it was the freakin Discover More at first!). I was not concerned or stressing about "the best card" for each purchase. It didn't cross my mind. I would never go down to one card again just because of scoring but I could see myself ending up with 2 or 3. I know I am rambling here, but the point is, outside of huge spend it's not worth spreading your rewards around.

Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.