Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guidance Needed ! Recommended Credit Cards

tag
yomellamoFICO2013
Regular Contributor

Guidance Needed ! Recommended Credit Cards

Hi. I have been reading about a few members wanting to apply for at least one or two cards, but I am still undecided, because my scores are not that high, but since I have managed to get it increased to  680 (myFICO EQ) 692 EXP and 763 TU (Can't explain the huge difference because Walmart TU is 650).

Anyway, I have not applied for any credit since January'13, and would like to get my last two cards at least for this year (I know, I know, it's really hard to stop from App itching, specially after seeing my scores go UP).

My current UTIL is 9%,  More details below:

AAOA 6.5 , Oldest Account 11 Years

I have been thinking about two cards:
AMEX Delta Gold and possibly joining DCU and Applyinging for  CC (due to their great reputation, since I am not eligible to join NFCU)
My plan is to wait until the end of May, when my UTIL will be at least 5% and HOPEFULLY my scores will reach the low 700's or so (considering I am not chargning anything on my cards, except for my monthly Credit monitoring fees), and paying at least 4x the minimum balance on my cards. Current debt is $ 785.00.
I have a bad charge-off (Paid) on Chase from 6+ years ago and a REPO from 2007(which would be falling off my CRA's until 2014) besides that there are no other marks.

Considering YMMV, what would be the cards I am likely to be approved for ?
I currently have 2 GECRB ( Walmart and Amazon) in good standing/payment. A secured WF CC, and a Capital One $800 limit, which is under review for a CLI (which I was told would be a Soft pull).

I appreciate your time and feedback.

CURRENT TLS:

AMAZON $2K/ WALMART $2K /DCU $3K DELTA AMEX $1K
DISCOVER $1.2K/ PAYPALEXT $2K /COSTCOTU $1.2K

UPDATED 8/1
EQ
8/1/13 EQ 694 - (myfico) -
7/26/13 EQ 694 - (DCU)
9/10 EQ 701 - (myfico)

EX
9/8 - EX 707 (usaa/EX)

TU
6/18 TU 690 (myfico)
7/2 TU 694 (Walmart)
8/8 TU 676 (Walmart)
9/6 TU 676 (Walmart)
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
dodfire
Valued Contributor

Re: Guidance Needed ! Recommended Credit Cards

I think you can get both cards you mentioned.....

*8/10/13
Message 2 of 11
boomhower
Valued Contributor

Both that you are looking at should be doable.  Discover would be another option. 

Message 3 of 11
myjourney
Super Contributor

@yomellamoFICO2013 wrote:

Hi. I have been reading about a few members wanting to apply for at least one or two cards, but I am still undecided, because my scores are not that high, but since I have managed to get it increased to  680 (myFICO EQ) 692 EXP and 763 TU (Can't explain the huge difference because Walmart TU is 650).

Anyway, I have not applied for any credit since January'13, and would like to get my last two cards at least for this year (I know, I know, it's really hard to stop from App itching, specially after seeing my scores go UP).

My current UTIL is 9%,  More details below:

AAOA 6.5 , Oldest Account 11 Years

I have been thinking about two cards:
AMEX Delta Gold and possibly joining DCU and Applyinging for  CC (due to their great reputation, since I am not eligible to join NFCU)
My plan is to wait until the end of May, when my UTIL will be at least 5% and HOPEFULLY my scores will reach the low 700's or so (considering I am not chargning anything on my cards, except for my monthly Credit monitoring fees), and paying at least 4x the minimum balance on my cards. Current debt is $ 785.00.
I have a bad charge-off (Paid) on Chase from 6+ years ago and a REPO from 2007(which would be falling off my CRA's until 2014) besides that there are no other marks.

Considering YMMV, what would be the cards I am likely to be approved for ?
I currently have 2 GECRB ( Walmart and Amazon) in good standing/payment. A secured WF CC, and a Capital One $800 limit, which is under review for a CLI (which I was told would be a Soft pull).

I appreciate your time and feedback.

That repo might hurt your chances with amex IMO but DCU may give you a shot....Good luck should you apply

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 11
dodfire
Valued Contributor

I like the Discover suggestion before AMEX!

*8/10/13
Message 5 of 11
yomellamoFICO2013
Regular Contributor

Thank you ! I am very hopeful about this... should I try applying on the same day ?

CURRENT TLS:

UPDATED 8/1
EQ
7/26/13 EQ 694 - (DCU)
9/10 EQ 701 - (myfico)

EX
9/8 - EX 707 (usaa/EX)

TU
6/18 TU 690 (myfico)
7/2 TU 694 (Walmart)
8/8 TU 676 (Walmart)
9/6 TU 676 (Walmart)
Message 6 of 11
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

You'll be fine

Don't forget, if you decide to app for DCU- to become a member first then apply for a cc.
Message 7 of 11
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@dodfire wrote:

I like the Discover suggestion before AMEX!

I agree! Good luck OP!!!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 8 of 11
yomellamoFICO2013
Regular Contributor

Thank 09Lexie. I know about DCU and its membership. Do you known if they are INQ sensitive?

CURRENT TLS:

UPDATED 8/1
EQ
7/26/13 EQ 694 - (DCU)
9/10 EQ 701 - (myfico)

EX
9/8 - EX 707 (usaa/EX)

TU
6/18 TU 690 (myfico)
7/2 TU 694 (Walmart)
8/8 TU 676 (Walmart)
9/6 TU 676 (Walmart)
Message 9 of 11
yomellamoFICO2013
Regular Contributor

UPDATE:!!!

After working diligently on app itch, I eventually gave up ! LOL Smiley Happy

I ended up applying for a membership with DCU , which I was accepted at the end of April. WOW !! They pulled EQ by the way.

Over this past weeked, I pulled the trigger on their VISA Credit card, which I had to send income verification (pay stubs), I got a call just this morning from DCU to confirm they were approving me for $3K ( I asked for $7.5K, a little hopeful due to my income).  Smiley LOL

After being rebuilding since January'13, My highest CL for now.

PENDING APPS: Amex Delta and Discover IT , which I applied over the weekend as well. ( I know, I could not resist!!)

Will update on the results once I get them !

Thank you myfico members for constantly supporting this community.

CURRENT TLS:

UPDATED 8/1
EQ
7/26/13 EQ 694 - (DCU)
9/10 EQ 701 - (myfico)

EX
9/8 - EX 707 (usaa/EX)

TU
6/18 TU 690 (myfico)
7/2 TU 694 (Walmart)
8/8 TU 676 (Walmart)
9/6 TU 676 (Walmart)
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.