Gym memberships & credit cards

tag
LadyJEsq
Established Contributor

Re: Gym memberships & credit cards

@red259 wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

@red259 wrote:

Throwing this out there has I just discovered NYSC is charging me $30 more per month than they are charging new members. I'm furious to say the least in addition to a whole host of other issues. Being based in the NYC area I am wondering if there are any credit cards out there that have some sort of deal with some gyms where the credit card members get reduced rates, like how some gyms give employees of certain companies discounted rates. Anyone come across this? 

Cash+ has a 5% category in "Gyms/Fitness Centers" you can select.

Your gym is constantly trying to get new members to sign up. Your furiosity should be directed to them, nicely, to ask about a "retention bonus" or getting better pricing. They would rather keep you as a paying customer than lose your business. They deal with people dropping memberships all the time, and there are marketing costs to get new members.

Actually its more than just the fact they are charging me $30 a month more than new members. With only two weeks notice they annouced, by posting a sign in the lobby mind you, that they are closing my gym branch on 1/16/16. This is right after they charged the monthly fee for Jan. The branch I go to is a flagship location which is large. They gave me two further away options that I can redesignate my home branch. Both of these locations are smaller and will be extra crowded now to accomodate all the people relocating from the closing branch. For the past several months there has been some broken equipment they have not fixed as well. I just found out they have known for months this was happening and just did not announce it to members. They actually let people keep coming in and enrolling in a new memberships without a word! Needless to say I am uncomfortable with the way this chain has conducted their business, so I'm unsure I even want to stay at all. If I did there is no way I would do so unless they offered me the new rate and without a contract. Its just tough finding a decent gym option in NYC at an ideal price point. Cash+ is put out by which lender? 

While I can understand your disgust, I would do research on any potential new gyms before you sign up. I think all major gym chains have horrid service and/or reviews, and it's really a matter of your tolerence level. Have you thought about just signing up again with one of the new promotions?

**FICO 8 Scores EQ EX TU **

Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
I don't know of any CCs with gym discounts... but if you have any interest in a Y membership, they offer a 20% discount if you have an NYC ID, and they're waiving signup fees through February 15th!

That is an interesting idea since the 92Y is near me. Update:  Hmm go figure the 92Y is a Jewish center not associated with the YMCA. Talk about a misleading name.  

Well, I wouldn't exactly say it's misleading... it's just that the 92nd St. Y is a YMHA, not a YMCA. They have a gym that I've heard decent things about, especially the pool, so if it's close to you maybe it's worth looking into even without the 20% discount.

There are a few YMCAs in Manhattan, but it sounds like they're not as convenient for you... still, could be a good option as opposed to NYSC.

Message 12 of 16
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
I don't know of any CCs with gym discounts... but if you have any interest in a Y membership, they offer a 20% discount if you have an NYC ID, and they're waiving signup fees through February 15th!

That is an interesting idea since the 92Y is near me. Update:  Hmm go figure the 92Y is a Jewish center not associated with the YMCA. Talk about a misleading name.  

Well, I wouldn't exactly say it's misleading... it's just that the 92nd St. Y is a YMHA, not a YMCA. They have a gym that I've heard decent things about, especially the pool, so if it's close to you maybe it's worth looking into even without the 20% discount.

There are a few YMCAs in Manhattan, but it sounds like they're not as convenient for you... still, could be a good option as opposed to NYSC.

Yea no YMCA's in my immediate area. I've read the 92Y  gym is on the small side. I have a pool membership which provides olympic size pool, otherwise 92Y would be higher on my list. There is a gym called Edgee in the same area that has good reviews for their weights which is primarily where my main need is. I'll do a free trial and see what I think. I was hoping maybe one of these travel cards would have a deal with a national gym chain for when people have to travel, so they have access to gyms in major cities when they are on the road.

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 13 of 16
red259
Super Contributor

@LadyJEsq wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

@red259 wrote:

Throwing this out there has I just discovered NYSC is charging me $30 more per month than they are charging new members. I'm furious to say the least in addition to a whole host of other issues. Being based in the NYC area I am wondering if there are any credit cards out there that have some sort of deal with some gyms where the credit card members get reduced rates, like how some gyms give employees of certain companies discounted rates. Anyone come across this? 

Cash+ has a 5% category in "Gyms/Fitness Centers" you can select.

Your gym is constantly trying to get new members to sign up. Your furiosity should be directed to them, nicely, to ask about a "retention bonus" or getting better pricing. They would rather keep you as a paying customer than lose your business. They deal with people dropping memberships all the time, and there are marketing costs to get new members.

Actually its more than just the fact they are charging me $30 a month more than new members. With only two weeks notice they annouced, by posting a sign in the lobby mind you, that they are closing my gym branch on 1/16/16. This is right after they charged the monthly fee for Jan. The branch I go to is a flagship location which is large. They gave me two further away options that I can redesignate my home branch. Both of these locations are smaller and will be extra crowded now to accomodate all the people relocating from the closing branch. For the past several months there has been some broken equipment they have not fixed as well. I just found out they have known for months this was happening and just did not announce it to members. They actually let people keep coming in and enrolling in a new memberships without a word! Needless to say I am uncomfortable with the way this chain has conducted their business, so I'm unsure I even want to stay at all. If I did there is no way I would do so unless they offered me the new rate and without a contract. Its just tough finding a decent gym option in NYC at an ideal price point. Cash+ is put out by which lender? 

While I can understand your disgust, I would do research on any potential new gyms before you sign up. I think all major gym chains have horrid service and/or reviews, and it's really a matter of your tolerence level. Have you thought about just signing up again with one of the new promotions?

I will consider renewing if they match the current low rate and do not require a contract.Otherwise I am walking. I would need to try out the new location, which my current membership allows to make sure its suitable (ie not over-crowded or filled with broken equipment or lacking equipment I need). The way my current gym has been run for the past several months I'm not sure they deserve another chance and they like some other chains do have horrific business records especially with how they make it soo difficult for people to cancel their membership. I have an amex linked to my account with them now and if I cancel the membership I think I may contact amex in advance of the normal billing date to make sure they do not approve any new charges, because I have heard many horror stories of peoplem continuing to get charged after closing accounts. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 14 of 16
LadyJEsq
Established Contributor

@red259 wrote:

I will consider renewing if they match the current low rate and do not require a contract.Otherwise I am walking. I would need to try out the new location, which my current membership allows to make sure its suitable (ie not over-crowded or filled with broken equipment or lacking equipment I need). The way my current gym has been run for the past several months I'm not sure they deserve another chance and they like some other chains do have horrific business records especially with how they make it soo difficult for people to cancel their membership. I have an amex linked to my account with them now and if I cancel the membership I think I may contact amex in advance of the normal billing date to make sure they do not approve any new charges, because I have heard many horror stories of peoplem continuing to get charged after closing accounts. 

Yeah, I've heard horror stories with regard to cancelling memberships too. I have a decent lifetime contract, so I don't expect I'll ever cancel my membership, but if I did, I would certainly take similar precautions. A nice gym, one that isn't too crowded, has all the necessary equipment you desire and keeps said equipment operational, are truly hard to find (sadly). Good luck!

**FICO 8 Scores EQ EX TU **

Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Spider15 wrote:
Aw the Gym Fee ... mine were at $34 per month. Now my company health insurance would pay $20 per month as long as I used the gym (12 times in the month). Then there are cards like the US Bank Cash+ VS that will give you 5% on rewards per month for gym fees. Food for thought.

This is good information for me as I have a $25 fee through Highmark that gives me access to virtually any gym in the area. However, I've been auto-paying on my QS for 1.5% - I have Cash+ so next time we can change preferences I'll defiitely choose the one for gym fees. Thanks for the heads up!

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.