cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HARD / SOFT Inquiries: How do you know?

tag
larinoriani
Regular Contributor

Re: HARD / SOFT Inquiries: How do you know?

Sorry but all the products out there offer free trials, even myfico. And the one offered free there, there is no free trial involved. I find my advice totally adequate to the OP's question. It's just another choice.

Starting Score: EQ 737--TU 742
Nov/2010: EQ 737--TU 742
Nov/2011: TU 753
Goal Score: EQ 800--TU 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 19
JRomulus
Regular Contributor

Anyway, I found the Softs very interesting.

On Jan 18th I applied for an Amex Premier Rewards Gold charge card.  It was approved and I had a Hard pull on Experian on the 18th.

The next day, on the 19th on Exp I had Soft pulls from: Amex, Citibank, Wells Fargo and (3 different) Chase (entities).  Yes, I have card products with those other banks, which means the Hard Amex pull on the 18th triggered their Softs on the 19th.

Man, they are watching us, aren't they??!!

Message 12 of 19
clocktick
Valued Contributor

How does a hard pull trigger soft pulls?  They wouldn't know there's a hard pull until they do the soft pulls, right?  Maybe I don't understand how it works.

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Message 13 of 19
JRomulus
Regular Contributor

Well, maybe an expert can jump in if my assumption is wrong, but the proximity of the pulls (one day apart) cannot be a conincidence.

My first thought is that my current banks must be getting some kind of notification from Experian when a new Hard Inquiry hits a customer's credit record.

Or maybe certain customers.

Some kind of subscription service Experian is selling them for current customers.

Which triggers an automatic soft on their part to check debt levels, lates or # of accounts, etc.

(Before you laugh, I'm in sales and I occasionally buy a D&B report on a prospect company before I try to sell them (why waste time calling on a company who can't pay their bills?)  And then, if that company's D&B score should change months later, I get an unsolicited email from D&B saying "Hey, something changed at Company XYZ, come check it out!  For a price of course.) 

My next thought was  possibly if my browsing through Chase and Citi's credit card pages triggered a soft pull from them, for example when I clicked a "what else does citi have for me" link, etc.  I did not app anything on either Citi or Chase, was "just looking" and I was signed in to my banking pages, I have checking and card ccounts at both.

For me what was weird was I didn't visit Wells Fargo at all.

And haven't been Softed by any of the 3 since.

Message 14 of 19
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

@larinoriani wrote:

Sorry but all the products out there offer free trials, even myfico. And the one offered free there, there is no free trial involved. I find my advice totally adequate to the OP's question. It's just another choice.

Hate to continue the thread-jacking, but you participated in getting a "free" credit report from that website, and still somehow didn't know that it automatically enrolled you in a free trial?  First, why did you think they asked for your credit card #?  Second, what part of "offer applies with enrollment in TripleAdvantage" don't you understand?

If you did indeed get your free report there, check your credit card statement.

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Message 15 of 19
larinoriani
Regular Contributor

@thrasher865 wrote:
Hate to continue the thread-jacking, but you participated in getting a "free" credit report from that website, and still somehow didn't know that it automatically enrolled you in a free trial?  First, why did you think they asked for your credit card #?  Second, what part of "offer applies with enrollment in TripleAdvantage" don't you understand?

If you did indeed get your free report there, check your credit card statement.

OMG NO! THEY DIDN'T OR HAVEN'T CHARGED MY ACCOUNT. THEY WILL TRY TO SELL SOME OF THEIR PRODUCTS (LIKE ANY OTHER SITE) BUT YOU CAN DECLINE THEM AN GET THE FREE REPORT ONLY. 

If you'd actually READ; the free trial begins IF you check the box ordering your "free score" as well. I recommend you getting your facts straight before questioning my ability to understand the terms of an offer, or telling me to check my statement. (I check them everyday, thank you) PLEASE see below and notice the wording, what part don't YOU understand??

Add Your Credit Score

Get your FREE Credit Score with your Report when you start your
       trial membership in Triple Advantage®!
Membership helps you understand and take care of your credit. Try it FREE!
  • See how your Credit Score looks and know when it changes
  • Find out if errors on your Report are impacting your Score
  • Learn the reasons your Score changes to develop better habits
  • Upgrading gives you a Free Score AND instant access to your
    Report, but is NOT required to get your Free Report.

.IMPORTANT INFORMATION When you order your free score here, you will begin your 7-day trial membership in Triple Advantage® Credit Monitoring. If you don't cancel your membership within the 7-day trial period*, you will be billed $14.95 for each month that you continue your membership. You may cancel your trial membership anytime within the trial period without charge

Message 16 of 19
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

I thought Valentine's Day was supposed to bring out good will but this is the second thread today that I've had to remind everyone to be

Friendly, supportive, and respectful.

Message 17 of 19
larinoriani
Regular Contributor

@MarineVietVet wrote:

I thought Valentine's Day was supposed to bring out good will but this is the second thread today that I've had to remind everyone to be

Sorry Marine, and I always am. But in some cases you need to defend  your points if you know you are right....

Message 18 of 19
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@larinoriani wrote:

@MarineVietVet wrote:

Sorry Marine, and I always am. But in some cases you need to defend  your points if you know you are right....

Absolutely. And we all should be willing and able to explain our positions and opinions but not at the cost of civility.

I'm afraid most, if not all of us, (yes including myself) write things here that we would be reluctant to say to someone's face or in public.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 10/10-813, TU - 10/10-774

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.