Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP! Amex payment issue

tag
Creditobsessed12
Frequent Contributor

HELP! Amex payment issue

I have an Amex green account that was recently opened.  I made a payment yesterday thinking that it would post today since I got paid today.  My bank account is with BoA and it's a new account.  Well apparently the payment posted to my bank account yesterday (the same day that I made it) so weird because usually with Chase it took a couple of days.  Well now the issue is that I got paid on 4/3 and the payment posted yesterday.  The person who opened my BoA account did not link my savings to my checking account and as a result that payment was returned and I was charged a fee.  I called the bank and they fixed my account set up and refunded me the fee but now the issue is with amex.  I'm afraid they will flag me now Smiley Sad  What should I do?  Amex doesn't show the payment as returned yet.  The payment is due on 4/8.  Please help!!!  Smiley Sad

11/30/14 EQ 545 TU 573 EX 602 01/15 EQ 545 TU 586 EX 589
02/15 EQ 643 TU 627 EX 669 03/05/2015 EQ 708 TU 744 EX 707
05/2017 EQ 659 TU 676 EX 683
Goal: 700s across the board Smiley Happy
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

Re: HELP! Amex payment issue

@Creditobsessed12 wrote:

I have an Amex green account that was recently opened.  I made a payment yesterday thinking that it would post today since I got paid today.  My bank account is with BoA and it's a new account.  Well apparently the payment posted to my bank account yesterday (the same day that I made it) so weird because usually with Chase it took a couple of days.  Well now the issue is that I got paid on 4/3 and the payment posted yesterday.  The person who opened my BoA account did not link my savings to my checking account and as a result that payment was returned and I was charged a fee.  I called the bank and they fixed my account set up and refunded me the fee but now the issue is with amex.  I'm afraid they will flag me now Smiley Sad  What should I do?  Amex doesn't show the payment as returned yet.  The payment is due on 4/8.  Please help!!!  Smiley Sad

Make the payment if you already didn't. Being new to AMEX with a returned payment already will sting you a bit with their internal scoring. 

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 2 of 16
Tonya-E
Established Contributor

@ojefferyo wrote:

@Creditobsessed12 wrote:

Make the payment if you already didn't. Being new to AMEX with a returned payment already will sting you a bit with their internal scoring. 

+1 to this...Also be careful on future payments. I bank with WF but my payments with Amex post the very same day I make them. There is literally no lag time in posting.  If I make a payment (even at 7p.m. EST), it is in the nightly processing and will have posted overnight when I check the next day. I think Amex has a relationship with certain banks which makes their payments post more quickly. For example when I pay through my credit union account (NCSECU), there is a day delay.  But I think WF and BOA both have co-branded cards with Amex. So that may have something to do with how quickly the payments post.

Wallet: Amex BCP-45k| Barclays Rewards MC-26.3k| Citi Thank You Preferred-27.5k| Citi Double Cash-14k| Target MC-11.5k| Walmart MC-7.5k| Chase Freedom Unlimited Signature-6k

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 16
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

I also bank with BOA and payments are usually drawn within a few hours of making the payment. 

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 4 of 16
taxi818
Super Contributor

I don't bank with wf or boa. But yes. Each lender is different. Amex. Chase. Cap one. You just have to learn each lender and don't take fir granted anything. My number one rule. Don't ever ever make payment until the cash is actually in account. Not on way. Not tomorrow. Who knows what can happen. I hope since your first time. They just slap your hand. But in honesty. That can get your account shut down. Just cell them. No one on w forum can help you. But tell you to call explain. You meant to date it for today. Not yesterday. And they will for give you. Since that due date is suggested date anyway. No foul no harm. 

Message 5 of 16
Open123
Super Contributor

For a one time isolated event, they'll view it as an accident and just move on.  However, if it happens a second time, then you can expect a harsher reaction.  

In general, I prefer to "push" payments initiated from my Bank's bill pay rather than to initiate it from the Issuer's site.  Less can go wrong.

Message 6 of 16
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

I think the damage is minimal if the due date is not missed.   I recently did this, a card has been added to my wife's account, and I paid from a bank account stored on her login, forgetting that was closed about 15 years ago!

She got a ltter saying her online  payment privildeges had been suspended, and could only be reactivated by, among other things, paying online with a different bank account (which seems almost meaningless but OK).   About 20 days later she requested and got a CLI

Message 7 of 16
Aarvard
Established Contributor

For me, this is one of the things from Mex that I like. Whenever I make a payment, it is posted almost immediately and my available credit is restored right away.
03/25/2015 TU 08 765, EX 08 747, EQ 08 757, EQ 04 754.
01/30/2016 TU 08 775, EX 08 752, EQ 08 744
Goal: 780+ across all models.
Message 8 of 16
taxi818
Super Contributor

@Aarvard wrote:
For me, this is one of the things from Mex that I like. Whenever I make a payment, it is posted almost immediately and my available credit is restored right away.

True. But op used amex green. Like others said he will be ok. Or she. Just be observant in the future. 

Message 9 of 16
Creditobsessed12
Frequent Contributor

Yes but I do have money in my savings account but the BoA overdraft was not set up apparently.  I am not liking BoA though because not only did they return the payment but they also charged me a fee.  I still have my Chase account so maybe I will go back to using that one more.  Chase pays everything for me even if I don't have funds.  

11/30/14 EQ 545 TU 573 EX 602 01/15 EQ 545 TU 586 EX 589
02/15 EQ 643 TU 627 EX 669 03/05/2015 EQ 708 TU 744 EX 707
05/2017 EQ 659 TU 676 EX 683
Goal: 700s across the board Smiley Happy
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.