cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP - Chase Payment that may get returned?

tag
EaglesFan2006
Established Contributor

HELP - Chase Payment that may get returned?

So here's the situation.  I have a Chase SW payment due today, which I scheduled for today.  Unbeknownst to me, my wife paid one of her cards early, also today.  The way we have our accounts set up is to use one Fidelity account only for bills like these.  I had more money scheduled to move over, but it won't be there until Thursday the 6th.  Based on the crossover, there's a chance that the account won't have enough funds to cover both of those payments, in which case one will be returned.  My question is, what impact could I expect from Chase SW if that payment gets returned?  Is there a late fee?  More importantly, is there negatiave credit reporting?  It looks like Chase would try to re-draw the amount in a couple of days if it does bounce back to them...but obviously a couple of days might miss the cut-off time.  So in thinking that, could I pay chase again on Thursday to cover myself just in case?

I tried to find out as much as I could from the bank but basicly they told me that whatever gets presented first gets paid first...and it looks like there is no way of really knowing that for sure until it happens

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: HELP - Chase Payment that may get returned?

Usually you will not be reported to the CRAs as late until it is about 30 days late (although in theory they can do it as soon as it is late).  If you are late, they will almost certainly charge a late fee, which, if you have been a good customer, they can remove as a goodwill guesture.    So, it might be worth paying to avoid this if that isn't a problem.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@EaglesFan2006 wrote:

So here's the situation.  I have a Chase SW payment due today, which I scheduled for today.  Unbeknownst to me, my wife paid one of her cards early, also today.  The way we have our accounts set up is to use one Fidelity account only for bills like these.  I had more money scheduled to move over, but it won't be there until Thursday the 6th.  Based on the crossover, there's a chance that the account won't have enough funds to cover both of those payments, in which case one will be returned.  My question is, what impact could I expect from Chase SW if that payment gets returned?  Is there a late fee?  More importantly, is there negatiave credit reporting?  It looks like Chase would try to re-draw the amount in a couple of days if it does bounce back to them...but obviously a couple of days might miss the cut-off time.  So in thinking that, could I pay chase again on Thursday to cover myself just in case?

I tried to find out as much as I could from the bank but basicly they told me that whatever gets presented first gets paid first...and it looks like there is no way of really knowing that for sure until it happens

If payment isn't due until today why don't you make an additional payment from another account.  You can add a second payment account and pay from that tonight

Message 3 of 4
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

This is what I hate about the Fid Cash management accounts.. The ridiculous times it takes to transfer money into the account from another account.. Guess that is why it is free as they obviously most likely use the money for other purposes while it is on hold... Although it has gotten a bit quicker for me, it still average 5-7 business days for transfers.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.