cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP! Drowning with a breath of fresh air once a month!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: HELP! Drowning with a breath of fresh air once a month!

Tough situation. I have applied for a dozen or so jobs in the past 3 months. Nothing has been giving. I also work for the State of Illinois, budget is non-existant. I have been due for a raise for 2 years, but cannot be accomodated. Hence why I have been searching for other jobs. If I do this, I risk taking a bite out of my retirement savings, which is pretty nice. I would have to stay at my current job for 2 years to be fully vested.

My CC rates are lower than most unsecured/personal loans. Consolidating isn't a viable option, unfortunately.

So, I misspoke. The $900 isn't just for food/gas/entertainment. That includes dog food, vet bills, anything outside of normal bills. School payments, school books, car repairs, activities with my daughter. Gas takes up 1/3 of that at about $300 a month alone.

I totally agree with your friends sentiment. I have let many friends down by saying no. And have them upset that I spend money somewhere else. It's a lose-lose. But I do see that as the one thing I need to relax a bit on. I also tend to splurge on myself sometimes...when I shouldn't be. Which is hard not to do.

Thank you for your input. I really appreciate it.

Message 11 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your input. I'd like to respond to a few things.

Can you tell me how 575 rent is normal? I live in a craphole. But it works, and I've been here for 2 years as it has been the cheapest possible place around.

I am not afforded the opportunity to buy a car outright. I was married/divorced 6 years ago and the debt from that lingers on.

I shop at my local Meijer for all of my food or Sams Club for bulk frozen food, not Whole Foods.

I asked my local CU to restructure my CC debt and the rate on my CC was lower than they could give on a personal/unsecure loan.

I love the gasbuddy app. There are 2 gas stations near me and the rest of the gas stations are 10-15 miles away. I always get gas when I'm in town and where it's the cheapest at the time.

The medical bills for myself are not outrageous but no payment plan is offered.

I know how to cook/eat in. =) I do most days. I also am working from home. I have minimized travel as much as possible right now. But will be traveling back and forth for work again soon.

Yes, I am required to by state cover medical bills for my daughter 50/50 with her mother. I also am required to hold the health insurance for her.

The dogs aren't sick. They require shots/preventative regularly to stay healthy. This includes heartworm, flea/tick, annual vaccinations, rabies shots, etc. Basically, maintaining their health, not because they are sick.

Yes, I have some costs I can cut. Thank you for pointing those out. I am still lost on how to restructure my debt. Any thoughts on that beside a consolidated loan through my local CU?

I have paid on time, every month....although not in full.

Message 12 of 28
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

Have you considered picking up a part time job? Something that you can work around your day job like evenings or weekends?  Doesn't have to be anything fancy or even related to your day job. Keep it simple if you want...something like a local grocery store or even a Walmart of sorts. Just to pick up some extra cash and pay down your debt a little faster. 

Message 13 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

A lot of great advice given already.. Basically, you need to live within your income or increase income. I can only dream of having $900 left after paying bills for food/gas/entertainment. If that still isnt enough, get a cheaper car. You can sell yours and hopefully buy something with that money that doesn't require full coverage. You can find a nice car for 5-8k that you only need liability on.. Drive that car till you've got your debts paid off, it may give you that much more incentive. if you need a small loan after selling your car, a personal loan through a credit union should help you avoid needing liability (unsecured loan).. They also may be willing to offer a PLOC or CC that you can transfer your CC debt to with lower interest OR no interest for 12-24 months. With your income, you should have NO problem living a reasonable life- Dont worry about what your neighbors have.. someone will always have more.
Message 14 of 28
MugenCivicSi83
Frequent Contributor

a great idea in theory. he has 2 dogs though...would be quite difficult. his dogs are his passion. I wouldn't want to leave 2 dogs at home while I work my ass off to neglect them and then pay more money because they could grow attitude problems. animals require a lot of time. perhaps he does something with his passion to gain more income? dog walking? a dog training class ? he's trained his dogs very well. I would know. I'm his brother. 

FICO 8 Scores: EX 706 (11/3/2016) EQ 696 (11/17/16) TU 708 (11/17/2016)

"Use your Credit wisely, don't let it use you!"~Me Smiley Very Happy

Message 15 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

A part time job is something I have considered after I leave ONE of my fulltime jobs. Which would be school. I work full time and take 2 masters classes. Which will be over in the Spring time. However, my dogs then suffer with my absense. Neglecting them is not worth picking up a part time job. But I know people who make it work, yet I take solid pride in how I've raised my dogs. I would hate to see that go to waste. I think I will reconsider a part time job once next May rolls around and see how my job situation is then. Thank you for the advice and suggestion though!

Message 16 of 28
iced
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the input. One card (13k limit) just increased my limit by 2.2k last week without me asking for it. I don't want to increase my limits though, for fear I will use the limit. It seems counter productive to what I'm trying to accomplish.

One credit card is through my Credit Union. The other is through Elan Financial Services with Busey Bank, a small Illinois-based bank.

Getting out of debt is like losing weight: it takes a lot of hard work to do, and a change in lifestyle and mindset to keep it off.

To get out, you're going to have to make some sacrifices. Those two credit card balances are killing you. If it were me, I would do the following:

1. Find out how much (if at all) you am underwater on the car you paid entirely too much for given my income (you and I have a similar car payment and I make 3-4x what you do - what does that tell you?). If you are NOT underwater on it, great. Trade it in for something that's reasonably reliable and in good condition that costs about $6000 (or around 10% of your gross income), preferably less. It's not your forever car, it's not your 'I'm a baller' car, it's your 'I'm serious about fixing this without going the BK route' car. If you ARE underwater, deduct that from the $6000 and see what you can find for the amount left. If you're more than $3000 or so underwater, you're pretty much stuck with it for now.

2. For your location, the rent seems reasonable, but the phone bill does not. The national average is $71/month for phone, so you can do better. If you have more than the minimum required insurance and you have a clean record, take it down a notch for a while to save a little extra. If you've had some fender benders, maybe keep it.

3. If you go to the gym more than 8 times a month, keep the membership. Otherwise, ditch it.

4. Work with your student loans to get a deferral. They're more apt to do so, though they will likely capitalize interest during that time. It's better than BK, trust me (I've been there).

5. That 8% for retirement? Don't touch it. It's far more valuable than you know. Before you cut back on any withholdings (which you said you can't anyway), cut back on EVERYTHING else before you ever consider cutting back on this.

6. Prepare to tighten the belt of discipline. Set yourself a budget of $800 a month for gas/food/entertainment and stay under it for 3 months. Then drop it to $700/month and make it for 3 months. You'll get used to $700 then you drop it to $650 and so on until you're at the point you simply cannot reduce more and maintain comfortable living. It sounds brutal, but it's not as bad as you think. Most people spend WAY more per month on stuff than they need to and try to live beyond their means.

All the money you've freed up should be turned full throttle towards wiping out the CC balances. Start with the highest interest card and go nuts. This is where you start to see results of your hard work and "dieting" as you watch the pounds melt away. At your debt levels, it may take a couple years. If unexpected surprises like medical bills come at you, pull it out of here.

Once you've cleared the CC balances, bring the student loans back in, if the deferrment didn't already end. Tackle them in a similar but slightly less agressive manner. Why less aggressive? Take $100/month you're throwing at the student loans and throw it into an emergency fund. You've already gone this long without needing that $100/month, so keep on not needing it. Once you have an emergency fund going, take that $100/month and increase your retirement. After that, put it into a rainy day fund - and with that, you have a source to pull from when you do want to take a vacation or buy a nicer car. 

Congrats once you lose the weight, but how to keep it off? There's a reason I included your quote above. Before you can ever fix the problem long-term and prevent it from happening again, you MUST change this mindset. All the financial aid in the world won't help you if you're too tempted to go spend again. Learn to keep the weight off.

Message 17 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow, I really appreciate your fresh take on my finances. It really helps to put it in perspective. I feel like your suggestions are attainable the way you put them and laid them out.

My phone bill is actually around $70 but I also have to pay for the phone. Something I should consider changing, too.

The reason I drive a truck is due to a number of things. I have 2 dogs, medium to big breed dogs. They take up a lot of room that a car just cannot provide. I could find a cheaper truck, a cheaper car for sure. And two, I live in Illinois. The winters are nasty here and driving a truck with my daughter in brutal winters gives me peace of mind for her safety (for the most part).

I believe most of my student loans are in deferrment. Until sometime in 2021 from what I remember. I, however, have been trying to pay a portion of it down as a way to make some money during tax time for paying toward my student loan interest.

So, I think your option of staying to $800/mo for all of that is doable. 800 for gas, food, entertainment, dogs, friends, self. Seems reasonable.

Thank you again. This really gave me a fresh perspective on how to save a bit each month and put it toward my CC usage.

One question I have for anyone: Would it be beneficial to have my CC's locked? So that I can't use them?

Message 18 of 28
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

You're getting a lot of really great feedback here, along with different takes and suggestions on how to tackle a few things. Hope it all works out for you, as a lot of people her have been in the same mess before too. Its not fun ...hope it looks up soon for you.
Message 19 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

if you qualify for a new card with 0% intro financing you might consider transfering your balance to that. Sounds like the temptation is strong for you, so if you do this you'd have to cut those other cards up and be strong. Stop charging those cards right after you make your monthly payments. The balances will  never go down that way.  

Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.