cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP - How accurate is pre-qualifying for cards on their sites??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: HELP - How accurate is pre-qualifying for cards on their sites??

When you are ready to apply go to their site and see if you prequalify first.  I hate wasting a hard pull for a decline and only go for preapprovals.  Also take your time. credit was not built in a day. It takes years. 

Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had two civil judgements on my report (less than $2000 for the both) when I was approved for my Slate in November...my scores were all hovering at 670. My scores were in the 660s when I was approved for a Freedom two weeks ago. But now I am at 5/24....

Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I pulled the trigger on this thanks to the encouragement in this forum.  Shockingly I was approved for Venture One card at $30k. I have never had $30k card in my life, or anything close to it.  And I recently checked on the Peer to Peer loans for only $5k and could not get pre-approved.  I'm honestly shocked.  Could be because I've managed the Quick Silver card for 2 years with no problems.   Thanks everyone.

Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know it's a bit late, but just as a data point...

It seems pretty common that people here share the knowledge that Chase's preapproval/prequalification page is accurate, and I can definitely agree to that. I was at 8/24 and saw a preapproval on Chase's site for the CSP, decided to test out peoples' theory on this forum, and got approved. Even though I was way over the 5/24 rule. Perhaps I am the oddball out, but just as a testament to the accurateness of at least Chase's preapproval site.

Message 14 of 16
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi -  I have been in rebuilding mode for several years and am in need of a good credit card with decent limit.  My Fico Scores are hovering at the 700 level, with one being 695 and one being like 704, etc . . .  I have one derogatory legal item on my reports which is paid and is several years old and have most things now paid way down.  I seem to prequalify for a Venture Travel card or a Chase card, etc . . .  but I'm terrified to apply and ding my report with a rejection - which will mess everything up.  How accurate are these "prequalifying" tools on the credit card sites????  I'm not sure what they see in the soft pull.  Any help is appreciated!!

There's no ding for rejection.

Both Capital One and Chase have valid prequalifying tools which are reliable, but there are no guarantees. If you don't want rejection, I would wait until you're sure your present scores are higher than your scores were when you prequalified.... don't apply until you're sitting on an increase in score.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 15 of 16
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If that's the case then the number of cards may hold me back.  I'm sure I've had at lease 5-6 new accounts in past 2 years- and I closed the smaller high interest ones.  Oh well -- live and learn.  I already have a smaller Cap One (Quick Silver) with a 1250 limit that has been a building card so I think they could be my best try -- I'd like the Venture Card.

There are many reports indicating that the 5/24 rule will not bar you if you have a prequalification with an invitation number or if you apply at a branch and have a prequalification on their records.

Also, many of Chase's cobranded cards are not subject to the 5/24 rule... e.g., AARP, Amazon Prime, Hyatt.

If you can get to a Chase branch I would suggest that you pop in and inquire as to whether you have a prequalification. And if you do, and if it's for a card you would like, go for it.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.