Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP - Husband's Chase Freedom payment was one day late

tag
kk627
New Contributor

HELP - Husband's Chase Freedom payment was one day late

My husband, who has a 812 Equifax FICO and and 795 Experian FAKO, missed his due date on the 14th. He has a perfect payment history and also has a Slate card which goes back 12 years. He's been sick in bed with the flu (fever, chills, body aches, the whole nine) and didn't get out of bed until yesterday. He then realized that he had missed his due date and paid right away. My mind had been so preoccupied with taking care of him and preparing for an upcoming important interview that I didn't remember myself. His balance is 300/15000. I don't want this to be a black mark for him with Chase. Does Chase do one-time forgiveness like Discover does?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
bs6054
Valued Contributor

Re: HELP - Husband's Chase Freedom payment was one day late

It won't be reported to the CRBs unless it is 30 days late.  Chase might charge a late fee, but depending on your relationship, and the mood of the CSR you speak to, this can often be waived, especially if you stress it wasn't carelessness, but due to illness.

Message 2 of 11
Joecooltech
Regular Contributor

I use to be a CSR at chase if you called me with that story that length of account history and that low balance I would wave any fee you would get that's just me though.

Message 3 of 11
NJTurnpike
Established Contributor

@Joecooltech wrote:

I use to be a CSR at chase if you called me with that story that length of account history and that low balance I would wave any fee you would get that's just me though.

A CSR who is a human being. Wow! Sure beats some CSR's I've spoken with. Congrats on your conscience! (no sarcasm intended)

DCU ( pulled 3/29/13) EQ04 683 | Amex (pulled 3/28/13) EX 760 | US Bank (pulled 3/28/13) EX 753
CreditKarma (4/19/13) TU-TR 701 | TU Vantage 788 | USAA FAKO (3/31/13) EX 728, EQ 699, TU 737 |
Inquiries (4/18/13) EX 13 | EQ 13 | TU 14
Message 4 of 11
LisaJ
Frequent Contributor

I have had this happen a couple of times, always with huge gaps of time in between, and either bank or human error.  I have never had Chase refuse to waive the fee.  The most recent issue was an Ink payment a few months back. Because I have three Chase accounts set up to be "pushed" from my bank, my husband made an error and double paid CSP. I emailed them, expalined the error, and they waived the fee, no problem.

Also, prior to calling or emailing, I set up autopay via Chase (and have since done the same with every account I have, for the sake of preventing this happening again).

Call them or email them. They are really very helpful at Chase, in my experience.

WOW! EQ when I joined myFICO: 657. Ups and downs and a few bumps and bruises, but finally back over 700. Whew!

Message 5 of 11
john398
Senior Contributor

Chase has fantastic customer service, I would let them know it was an oversight also this will not report unless it was 30 days late

Message 6 of 11
boomhower
Valued Contributor

Shouldn't be a problem at all. Certainly won't affect his credit history.  Absolute worst case scenerio is late fee and penalty APR, both are doubtful. 

Message 7 of 11
blondy250
Established Contributor

No worries about a credit report hit. However this the reason I have all my cards to auto pay a minimum balance on the due date. I always PIF but if you have a card you haven't used in awhile its good insurance some credit cards like to get cute, like discover a card I hadn't used in a year and hadn't noticed that they were charging me $2 a month credit protection fee. If I hadn't set up auto pay I might have had a late payment.
Fico 8 12/9/17
Equifax 850, TransUnion 842 10/30/17 , Experian 842 12/11/17 . AAOA 12 years Oldest 20
No inquires since 2014
All credit reports frozen
Fico 8 Equifax Bankcard 866 12/27/16
Message 8 of 11
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

Put it on autopay so it doesn't happen again....problem solved for the future.

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 9 of 11
kk627
New Contributor

Thank you for all the advice. I will have him give Chase a call tonight. I'll to convince him about the autopay, but his head is hard as rocks.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.