cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP!! I'm in more CC debt than I can manage.

tag
Amarie003
New Contributor

HELP!! I'm in more CC debt than I can manage.

So, here's my synopsis...

Right now, I have about $8.4k in total credit card debt:

Chase Sapphire: $5k --- APR: 16.24%

Cap 1 Quiksilver: $3k ---- APR: 25.15%

Amex BCE: $400 ---- APR: 22.24%

I am DROWNING in interest!!!!! Smiley Sad And I've never been this stuck paying down my balances. I have no idea how to get out of this hole. I know it's frowned upon but I'm at this dark place because I had been using my cards to pay for therapies that my son requires which weren't being covered by insurance. Smiley Sad

Now that all three of these cards are in the sock drawer, here are the two options I have came up with:

A) Request an interest rate reduction on my Chase and Cap1.

B) Apply for a balance transfer card with promotional transfer rates for the first year.

If anyone could help me come up with the best plan then please, please, PLEASE, respond!

Message 1 of 35
34 REPLIES 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: HELP!! I'm in more CC debt than I can manage.

What do your credit scores look like?

Message 2 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are the cards in your siggy all you have? Any baddies? Have you considered a personal loan? Do you still need funds to pay for therapies for your son?

Message 3 of 35
Amarie003
New Contributor

@BrutalBodyShots: the last time I ran them they ranged between 725-734.

Message 4 of 35
Amarie003
New Contributor

@ghgirll123: Yes, the cards in my siggy are the only ones I have.. I've never been late on a payment.. No negative items on my report besides the usual "oldest account is too young" and "no mortgage" negative remarks. 

About 4 years ago I took out a small private loan and I didn't like the idea of daily interest accrual, so I'm not sure if I could handle that again.

I recently changed insurance companies so the therapies he needs are now covered 100% after my deductible and w/copay. 

Message 5 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

try the pre qualified site at Citi Bank.  when they ask for what you are looking for, state balance transfer.  The CIti Simplicity and Diamond preferred should show up,  21 months 0% BT.  I don't know what other items you have on your Bureau....but it wont hurt you to check this out. 

Message 6 of 35
mdd0214
Contributor

Apply for a card with 0% interest for as long as possible. Maybe 2 cards if you can't roll it all onto one. Then pay that debt down aggressively. 

Best to you & your son.

Message 7 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

what is your utl%?

Message 8 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you look at Discover? for a 18 month balance transfer? 

So far Discover has been good to me, would that be long enough for you to get caught up?

Message 9 of 35
Amarie003
New Contributor

@cclimit: Thank you, I'll definitely check out Citi Bank!.. I'm at 25% utilization.

Message 10 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.