cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP! Need some good cards to apply for fast!

tag
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: HELP! Need some good cards to apply for fast!

@improvingmycredit wrote:

+1 to the highlighted

I only listed cards that I think you'd actually have the best chance of getting.  However, if it were me, I'd actually do what Revelate says.

I'm pretty certain (only guessing here) that you took a few (at least 2) inqs for your auto and more than likely EQ pulls.  So I was thinking along the lines of staying away from EQ and it's your lowest score.

If it were me, I'd go ahead and burn a few inqs to see what I come up with.  I'd focus on EX and TU pullers though.

You bring up a good point, though not sure how you determined from posted scores where the inquiries landed, auto loan inquiries with their summarization wouldn't drop EQ that drastically, it's almost as though someone pulled EQ auto-enhanced and straight up on the other two, as I would've expected the "first-time buyer" clause to hit Summer as with what was stated I can't see the score being under 700 on a CC application unless those collections are really recent or maybe there was a dispute flag on the reports.  Sounds wierd anyway.

OP: One other suggestion, pull all your credit reports from annualcreditreport.com if you haven't already; on the assumption you got all 3 from applying at the dealership, those should have likely all been auto-enhanced, and that disparity strikes me as substantial if all the report data is the same.  I'd want to definitely know if they were the same.

Edit: saw your post over in Auto Loans, from what you described there, I'd reiterate my suggestion of figuring out what your spend is, narrow down to two classes of cards, and make a list of 3, shoot the moon, good card, and shoe-in for each, and just go right down each list.  You're not gold-plated but your credit profile is pretty sweet for anyone with blemishes from an underwriting perspective.

        
Message 21 of 43
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

+1 to the highlighted

I only listed cards that I think you'd actually have the best chance of getting.  However, if it were me, I'd actually do what Revelate says.

I'm pretty certain (only guessing here) that you took a few (at least 2) inqs for your auto and more than likely EQ pulls.  So I was thinking along the lines of staying away from EQ and it's your lowest score.

If it were me, I'd go ahead and burn a few inqs to see what I come up with.  I'd focus on EX and TU pullers though.

You bring up a good point, though not sure how you determined from posted scores where the inquiries landed, auto loan inquiries with their summarization wouldn't drop EQ that drastically, it's almost as though someone pulled EQ auto-enhanced and straight up on the other two, as I would've expected the "first-time buyer" clause to hit Summer as with what was stated I can't see the score being under 700 on a CC application unless those collections are really recent or maybe there was a dispute flag on the reports.  Sounds wierd anyway.

OP: One other suggestion, pull all your credit reports from annualcreditreport.com if you haven't already; on the assumption you got all 3 from applying at the dealership, those should have likely all been auto-enhanced, and that disparity strikes me as substantial if all the report data is the same.  I'd want to definitely know if they were the same.

I don't believe that the inqs are the reason for the disparity in FICO scores.  I was thinking the same thing.  EQ probably auto enhanced.   I am just noting that the score is significantly lower.   I am only guessing at the lender pulls based on my own recent experience with auto shopping thus the "(only guessing here)" statement.  None the less, good advice.  The difference in scores could just very well be the auto-enhanced version vs straight up versions of others.  Again, just guessing but as you, I believe there is something going on with EQ.  

Any card recommendations for the OP?  I'm curious as to what you'd suggest.  I'd like to match notes.

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 22 of 43
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

I don't believe that the inqs are the reason for the disparity in FICO scores.  I was thinking the same thing.  EQ probably auto enhanced.   I am just noting that the score is significantly lower.   I am only guessing at the lender pulls based on my own recent experience with auto shopping thus the "(only guessing here)" statement.  None the less, good advice.  The difference in scores could just very well be the auto-enhanced version vs straight up versions of others.  Again, just guessing but as you, I believe there is something going on with EQ.  

Any card recommendations for the OP?  I'm curious as to what you'd suggest.  I'd like to match notes.

According to the auto loans thread it was an EX / TU pull, not sure where the EQ score came from, might've been from here though personally I haven't found it a good barometer for my own credit card approvals as I had no idea my EX '08 was so much higher than my EQ '04 here and as such my Amex approvals likely aren't as absurd as I once thought, but I digress.

I didn't see which Chase business card as Ink Cash/Classic are different from a rewards perspective from the Bold/Plus.

I'm admitting my ignorance as I'm not the best at judging travel profile cards as that just isn't part of my life right now or in the forseeable future other than a one-time trip to NY to build a new datacenter at the mothership; however, if you took the business card out of consideration for the moment, and given the profile stated (solid FICO EX score presumably, 80K income, Cali residence, and likely goosed business expenses not claimed as income, and Southwest with various hotels) I'd probably pick a CSP as the top of my chain, and take a Amex PRG (if spend justified it) or a BOFA travel rewards if more limited spend in either case if that fell through.

On the hotels Summer's likely qualified for any of the Amex co-branded revolvers, though all of the cards already mentioned would be trading up on the current tradelines. I'd probably try to consolidate my spend to a given hotel chain and go with that, probably SPG and call it good if I could.  Down from that is probably a charge card from Amex or maybe a Chase hotel co-brand though I think that's similar underwriting to a SPG or other Amex co-branded revolver.

Gas card I'd probably just take from whatever lender I wasn't with if it wasn't already covered, Amex BCP or  BOFA 1-2-3 Cash, or even the PRG mentioned earlier if I'd taken it as a general travel card (it is a good all around card for the use case stated).

I guess if I were really trying to maximize things in the future, I'd want an Amex and a Chase backed card out of it, I don't know Citi well enough to really suggest anything in that vein, but being Southwest as primary airline (which is Chase all the way AFAIK), and hotels being flexible think I'd just pick the best all around cards that covered me for changes in the future, as well as being excellent in their own right.   Chase fallback if I wanted to establish the relationship is the Freedom, not certain that the SW Rewards card is different underwriting than the CSP these days.

There's no guaruntees but with the profile Summer stated I'd be feeling pretty good about my chances, Freedom / Amex Charge or other cards in that strata as someone suggested earlier I think are fallback positions really and easily approved, I'd swing for the fences first, fact is I'm sitting with a BCP which is pretty equivalent to SPG from an underwriting perspective, and Summer's profile is much better than mine with the exception of income, but I'd be willing to bet Summer's expenses are much higher than mine, and Amex likes that.   I suspect Amex and even Chase and likely others will see the profile the same way I do, this is a consumer they'll want to do business with, the application screams potential profit compared to minimal risk. Smiley Happy

        
Message 23 of 43
summerhunny11
Contributor

Hi all,

Appreciate all your replies! I will try to remember and answer all the questions the best I can.

I live in CA and my income (not including my husband's) is around 40-50k this can vary greatly.

My lender did a rapid rescore and my EX FICO II was 704 (down from 714 before getting the car) and TU Classic 04 is 730.

Infiniti pulled a EX 714 and TU 749 auto enhanced I presume. I have had two car loans prior.

The collections were reported in 2009 and are now updated and around $1500. I plan to do a PDF soon. We just spent $3k on the hubby's report.

I did apply for the Chase business which I mentioned. I did also apply for the Barclay travel rewards as someone mentioned because they pull TU.

I really want an AMEX card but should probably wait for a response from the others before I do. What does AMEX pull?

I will only be using this card for office supplies, advertising, gas, car repairs flights, hotels and dining with clients. I need good rewards for what I will be spending.

Hope I didn't mis anything!

Thanks!

5/13-EQ 652,TU 634, EX 612
6/13-mortgage lender pull
EQ 652, EX 689, TU 714
6/22/13 Auto pull (Infiniti)
EX Auto II 714, TU 745

Capital One $1500, Orchard $500, Premier $700
Message 24 of 43
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

Hey summerhunny11!
Have you received a response from either Chase or Barclays?
If not on Barclays- call the BackDoor number and speak with an analyst. They are very helpful.
866-408-4064

Good Luck. Haggle with them on the CL if approved.
I'd also app the PRG. I think you should be ok.
I'm concerned because you mentioned a mortgage app. If you are still in the mortgage process- don't app anything else!!!!
Also- I didn't think to ask how many inqs you have on your files.
Amex pulls EX btw. Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 25 of 43
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Hey summerhunny11!
Have you received a response from either Chase or Barclays?
If not on Barclays- call the BackDoor number and speak with an analyst. They are very helpful.
866-408-4064

Good Luck. Haggle with them on the CL if approved.
I'd also app the PRG. I think you should be ok.
I'm concerned because you mentioned a mortgage app. If you are still in the mortgage process- don't app anything else!!!!
Also- I didn't think to ask how many inqs you have on your files.
Amex pulls EX btw. Smiley Happy

yes call Barclay... they should open very soon if not already (I'm in west too) if it's approved you can always recon them for more credit... they are great!

you should be TOTALLY fine for Amex if that's what you really want.

and of course the GE cards.

Message 26 of 43
summerhunny11
Contributor

Thanks for the number. No, haven't heard. I just applied after I got the car. I only had two old inquiries before the car so I wanted to app while I had the auto pull.

I am not mortgage shopping, just had a lender friend rapid rescore me after paying off cards =)

I will look into the PRG.

EQ 652, EX 689, TU 714
EX Auto II 714, TU 745

Message 27 of 43
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@summerhunny11 wrote:

Thanks for the number. No, haven't heard. I just applied after I got the car. I only had two old inquiries before the car so I wanted to app while I had the auto pull.

I am not mortgage shopping, just had a lender friend rapid rescore me after paying off cards =)

I will look into the PRG.

call now! Barlcay is rare to give instant answers and you get better approvals and responses calling in instantly and like I said then can usually ask for more if you want or depending how good the offer is from them.

Message 28 of 43
summerhunny11
Contributor

Ok,calling =)

EQ 652, EX 689, TU 714
EX Auto II 714, TU 745

Message 29 of 43
summerhunny11
Contributor

Was declined!

But, I talked to them and got approved for $1k.

Now, I might need a Chase back door number or go into the branch?

EQ 652, EX 689, TU 714
EX Auto II 714, TU 745

Message 30 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.