Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP! Too many credit cards?!

tag
BruinTheNursePractitioner
Established Member

HELP! Too many credit cards?!

I'm really nervous now.  I have 13 open Accts. 25K avaiable in credit.  I'm not opening any more!!!!! Forever!!  

One car loan at 12.5K.  

Student Loans at 13K.

Do i have too many credit cards?! Should I close some????  My utility is 1%. 

Is there such a thing with having too much credit? Will this adversely affect me in the future when trying to buy a home in 10 years or a new Benz in 7 years?

Always on time w/ payments; paid as agreed. 

Chase Slate- 33K |AmEx Clear Card-2K | AmEx BCE-2K | Chase Freedom-1.3K | BoA Travel Rewards Visa-10K | BoA Accelerated Rewards AmEx-20K | Citibank Dividend Visa-2.1K | U.S. Bank-600 | Macy's Store Card-1.8K| Barclays MC-2.5K| Discover IT-17K | Chase CSP-1K | Banana Republic Visa-10K | BoA Better Balance Rewards MC-2.5K | Chevron Visa- 1.5K | EBay MC- 2.5K | Citi Diamond Preferred-2K | Citi American Airlines MC- 6.3K | Discover IT Chrome-2.5K| BoA Susan G. Komen MC-8.5K

TOTAL LINES: 20 |TOTAL UNSECURED CREDIT: $125,100
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Re: HELP! Too many credit cards?!

You treat these cards right you will be golden when the time comes for car or home. It will show that you have excellent control of your finances. 

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 2 of 6
Necromancer
Regular Contributor

I think your in fine shape. There are several people who frequent this board who have a lot more than you currently have.  Just keep what you have, use them wisely and you will do fine.

Message 3 of 6
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

As long as you're managing what you have (which sounds like you do), you'll be fine.  I actually like managing my cards and have all the details plotted out on a spreadsheet that gets updated daily.  

Message 4 of 6
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@BruinTheNursePractitioner wrote:

I'm really nervous now.  I have 13 open Accts. 25K avaiable in credit.  I'm not opening any more!!!!! Forever!!  

One car loan at 12.5K.  

Student Loans at 13K.

Do i have too many credit cards?! Should I close some????  My utility is 1%. 

Is there such a thing with having too much credit? Will this adversely affect me in the future when trying to buy a home in 10 years or a new Benz in 7 years?

Always on time w/ payments; paid as agreed. 

If you have too many TLs to manage, then you have too many cards.  If you're worried about hitting a credit ceiling, you probably aren't there with $25K in revolving credit.

You could always determine which cards best suit your needs and use those and SD the rest, if they're a pain to manage.  But if you can manage them, I don't see any harm in having them at all.

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 5 of 6
phoenix_one
Contributor

So far you are OK.

But if you want to trim you cards down, I would at least get rid of Macy's, (unless you shop there a lot) and SHELL (you get a better deal with your cashback cards).

Work on increasing the limits your AMEX (Clear and BCE) cards, read the AMEX 3x CLI thread.

Those are easiest and quicker ones to grow.

Let the accounts age, make you payments and you will see your score go up.

As time goes by you find out which cards work for you. Those who does not match you needs, cancel them and get better ones (Hotel Cards or Airline Cards).

Other than that you are doing fine. In two years all those inquiries will fall off.

If you worry on having too much credit, I believe you can hit 150% of your annual income without any issue. (Given you do not get any lates or collections items).

Starting Score: 660 - 2010
Current Score: Experian 758, Equifax 767, TransUnion 754
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.