cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP! Wells Fargo/Mattress Firm closing all accounts with balances??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: HELP! Wells Fargo/Mattress Firm closing all accounts with balances??

I would imagine that they will zero out your available credit on the account, but keep your credit limit at the original amount so as not to adversely affect your utilization. Then when they balance is paid off, it would show as closed...

Now, if they reduce the credit limit, and balance chase you all the way to the finish, THAT would be a problem

Message 11 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Found this from another thread. not sure if they close your accounts or just switch the portfolio to synchrony ? But you mentioned that you spoke to CSR and she told you that your account will be closed.  interesting. sometimes dont they switch banks with people still retaining their cards ? 

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/synchrony-financial-mattress-firm-partner-120000241.html

Message 12 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is the exact verbiage from my most recent statement.

Wells Fargo Account Closing Verbiage.gif

Message 13 of 24
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@nitrov wrote:
Ok, thanks everyone! Hopefully it doesn't hurt me. Can't believe those people!

What is hard to believe?   Financial partnerships come to an end from time to time (e.g Amex Costco/JB, merger or AA and US Air impacting respective credit card programs).  And this seems to be as painless as possible, keep paying under the old terms, just no more available credit.    Not clear what else could be done!

Message 14 of 24
nitrov
Established Contributor

It makes more sense to me from a business perspective to transfer the debt to another form of revolving credit. Just because their strategic partnership is no longer in tact, doesn't mean they should want to lose my future business as well. A bank like WF with vast resources could easily convert the account into a WF-branded trade line and leave the account open, permitting me to use it like a regular Visa or MC rather than just close the account. Or, alternatively, Mattress Firm could give me an option to transfer the account over to their new co-branding partner. It's not like Mattress Firm is going anywhere.
My Top 3: Amex Delta Platinum ($30k) | Amex PRG | Citi Prestige ($30k) |

Starting scores 600-640 (2013), current 765-775 (2019); It is possible!

Message 15 of 24
nitrov
Established Contributor

And what bothers me most is the lack of advanced notice. They should have sent me a letter notifying me well in advance that the account was going to be closed. Had I not coincidentally pulled up my statement I would have never noticed this. Account closure should generate a special notice, not just a box on a statement.

Message 16 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@nitrov wrote:
I thought they always say you NEVER want to let an account close with a balance on it? As long as it won't hurt my credit I don't care one bit. I can't believe they're closing the accounts. I've never had this happen before. I know it's not just me and it's not adverse action in any way but it's still just unbelievable that they'd do that!

With everything that has been happening in the credit world, I'm not surprised. Walmart Discover credit card switched to Walmart MC, Sallie Mae MC is no longer accepting applications, Costco decided to end their association with Amex and partner with Citi, Comenity has been AA'ing folks left and right, and now Wells Fargo and Mattress Firm are parting ways. 

I focus on situations I can control: How I use my credit. Outside of that, I just roll with the punches. Best of luck!Smiley Happy

Message 17 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I logged into Wells Fargo online and it was a surprise to me that the account was closed.

I didn't intend to purchase anything new from Mattress Firm so it's not a big deal

What IS a big deal is my Debt to Credit Ratio just took a big hit as my credit score dropped 30+ points from this account being closed.

I called Mattress Firm to ask if they planned on moving the accounts to the new credit company and they said nope!

So I get a 30+ point hit to my credit for something compleetly out of my control. Something isn't right here

Message 18 of 24
nitrov
Established Contributor

That doesn't sound right. Did you have a balance on your card? How much was your limit on the Mattress Firm card? Mine has a balance on it still so mine is sill reporting as open despite that I can't make any new purchases. Sounds to me like you just need to get a CLI on another account to make up for the CL you lost on Mattress Firm. Unless you have very little credit closing one store account won't impact your score that much. If you're looking at something like Credit Karma don't worry too much, they're very inaccurate. You'll be fine.

Message 19 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah had a Balance on it as we just bought a bed from there like 3 months ago.

So the balance is also high. Wish it could be as simple as just paying it off.

I got the info from Experian. It shows that I lost the credit line but not the debt...Thus Debt to Credit Raito bang!

I can't believe this is even allowed

-Vaio

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.