Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HH Gregg card becoming Synchrony Home

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

HH Gregg card becoming Synchrony Home

We have gotten an email from Synchrony pertaining to our HH Gregg account.  The HH Gregg card is still active and can be used at a whole bunch of furniture and bedding retailers, Rooms2Go, Ethan Allen, Sleep Number, etc...2500+ retailers per the email.

I suppose this is their attempt to salvage whatever book of business they had with HH Gregg.  The card will be rebranded Synchrony Home and we were given the option of just using the old HH Gregg card or they will send new ones with the new name on them.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: HH Gregg card becoming Synchrony Home

Wow a store card that can be used across many stores sounds like a great idea.  Wonder if it will earn any rewards or cash back.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I doubt there are any rewards or cash back.  I was surprised to see the Synchrony name so prominently displayed too, but I guess they have no choice in this instance.  I can't imagine that a retailer would want their customers who carry a cobranded card to have the ability to use that card at a competing retailer...using your Ethan Allen card at the Sleep Number store, for instance but if it's branded with the bank's name, it's OK.

What deals do retailers have with a bank like Synchrony on store cards?  Does the retailer get a piece of the interest or a commission for signing new customers?  Is it just a funding vehicle that hopefully keeps customers walking in the door and making future purchases?  I have no notion about how that works.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyone driving sales to banks gets a negotiated piece plus usually some tier boost for hitting certain numbers.

Can't imagine it's all that huge but it does mean the retailer is avoided a merchant fee most likely, or at least had a much reduced one.

Most store cards tend to be for high margin stores, tho. Not Walmart or Amazon, but stores that sell at high profits per dollar spent. VS margins are astronomical. Stuff like that.
Message 4 of 7
Benzman
Frequent Contributor

Wonder if it will be accepted at the hhgregg.com online store when it reopens?

Amex CM 10K | Amex ED 10K | Amex BCE 7.5K | 5/3RD SU2C 10K | 5/3RD SU2C 6.5K | Barclays Cash 6K | Barclay AARP 3.5K | Bread AMEX 9K | Citizens Cash 8K | Citizens Clear 2K | Citi® DP 11.3K | Citi® Simplicity 9.4K | Citi® TY 6.5K | Citi® DC 4K | Citi CuC 3.4K | Cap One QS 14.6K | Cap One WM MC 11K | Discover It 19.5K | Discover Miles 13.5K | BOA Cash 13.2K | BOA 7K | US Bank State Farm Visa 4K | US Bank AMEX 22.5K | US Bank Plat 16.5K | US Bank Cash 11.2K | FNBO Rewards 20K | FNBO Evergreen 11.3K | Huntington Voice 7,750K | Huntington Voice Rewards 8.7K | PF|CP Rewards 8.2K | PF|CP Gold 3.2K | PNC Cash 15K | PNC Core 15K | PNC Points 8K | Fidelity 15K | Wells Active 12K | Wells Reflect 10K | Target MC 12.5K | TD Cash 4.5K | Truist 6.5K | Truist 6.5K | Truist 6.5K | Truist 6.5K | Synch Premier MC 11.6K | Ebay MC 10K | Apple Card 5.5K | Deserve Digital 6K | Simon AMEX 6K | Chase Amazon 1.5K | F8 Scores 4/23 EX789; TU781; EQ792.
Message 5 of 7
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I doubt there are any rewards or cash back.  I was surprised to see the Synchrony name so prominently displayed too, but I guess they have no choice in this instance.  I can't imagine that a retailer would want their customers who carry a cobranded card to have the ability to use that card at a competing retailer...using your Ethan Allen card at the Sleep Number store, for instance but if it's branded with the bank's name, it's OK.

What deals do retailers have with a bank like Synchrony on store cards?  Does the retailer get a piece of the interest or a commission for signing new customers?  Is it just a funding vehicle that hopefully keeps customers walking in the door and making future purchases?  I have no notion about how that works.

What would be an advantage of a card like this that doesn't offer any rewards or cash back?

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

We only opened the account in the first place because they had a promotional financing offer...bought kitchen appliances, fridge, stove, microwave and dishwasher, paid them off before the free financing timed-out.  The ONLY reason we would use it in the future is to buy furniture and that would likely ONLY be if there was a promotional financing offer of some sort. 

If nothing else, it's a $5000 TL reporting a zero balance to help my utilization.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.