Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HHGregg Credit Card dilema

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

HHGregg Credit Card dilema

My wife and I had been shopping around for appliances over labor day weekend, trying to find the best deal, and getting someone to do a "price match" + 10% type deal that alot of the stores do.

We went into HHGregg several times, and spoke with the sales person, who said they would match and then beat the lower best buy price by an additional 10%.

After finally going to pull the trigger, I was going to sign up for a HHgregg card to "float" the purchase for 24 months, since we have multiple other remodel projects going on. The associate had me fill out the paper work and approved me for the HHGregg card for $5,000, however after completing the signup, the associate said that Best Buy is liquidating their inventory, so its considered a clearance item. They refused to beat the price, only to match it. We discussed the price match specifically throughout the weekend, so there should have been no prior miscommunication.

I walked out of HHGregg on principle, as I felt they figured I would just "go along with the purchase" now that they signed me up for the card. We then went to Lowe's where they said the same thing about Best Buy, but after some discussing we got things worked out, and got the items at the prices we wanted. I signed up for a Lowe's card also, to get the deferred financing, which is fine since I am utilizing it, and will use it at Lowe's. Lowe's, however, didn't sign me up for the card until after everything was invoiced, where as HHGregg put all my stuff in beforehand and I feel like they tried to sucker me in.

I am PISSED about this HHGregg card. The inquiry has not shown up on my Bank of America Privacy Assist yet, but I am waiting for it to. I am pissed because they signed me up prior to the price being finalized, and after the disagreement they said there was "nothing they could do" since the card had already been approved. I called GE Capital also, and they said they couldn't do anything? 

Is their any recourse I have with either HHGregg or GE Capital? My credit scores are 765-795 between the 3, but after getting signed up for the HHGregg card, and then the Lowe's card as well, I of course would have much rather not have had the HHGregg inquiry/signup as I am looking to refinance in about 3-4 months and want to have as high a score as possible.

Is there anything I can do?

Any input is appreciated!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Re: HHGregg Credit Card dilema

@Anonymous wrote:

My wife and I had been shopping around for appliances over labor day weekend, trying to find the best deal, and getting someone to do a "price match" + 10% type deal that alot of the stores do.

We went into HHGregg several times, and spoke with the sales person, who said they would match and then beat the lower best buy price by an additional 10%.

After finally going to pull the trigger, I was going to sign up for a HHgregg card to "float" the purchase for 24 months, since we have multiple other remodel projects going on. The associate had me fill out the paper work and approved me for the HHGregg card for $5,000, however after completing the signup, the associate said that Best Buy is liquidating their inventory, so its considered a clearance item. They refused to beat the price, only to match it. We discussed the price match specifically throughout the weekend, so there should have been no prior miscommunication.

I walked out of HHGregg on principle, as I felt they figured I would just "go along with the purchase" now that they signed me up for the card. We then went to Lowe's where they said the same thing about Best Buy, but after some discussing we got things worked out, and got the items at the prices we wanted. I signed up for a Lowe's card also, to get the deferred financing, which is fine since I am utilizing it, and will use it at Lowe's. Lowe's, however, didn't sign me up for the card until after everything was invoiced, where as HHGregg put all my stuff in beforehand and I feel like they tried to sucker me in.

I am PISSED about this HHGregg card. The inquiry has not shown up on my Bank of America Privacy Assist yet, but I am waiting for it to. I am pissed because they signed me up prior to the price being finalized, and after the disagreement they said there was "nothing they could do" since the card had already been approved. I called GE Capital also, and they said they couldn't do anything? 

Is their any recourse I have with either HHGregg or GE Capital? My credit scores are 765-795 between the 3, but after getting signed up for the HHGregg card, and then the Lowe's card as well, I of course would have much rather not have had the HHGregg inquiry/signup as I am looking to refinance in about 3-4 months and want to have as high a score as possible.

Is there anything I can do?

Any input is appreciated!

Damage is done, it doesn't last long, keep the card put it in your sock drawer and hold it open untill they close, the extra $5000 should help your UTL if you have any balances on other cards. In 6 months your score will be back to where it was before if not better. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 2 of 5
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Unfortunately there's nothing you can do. Once an acct has been opened, all you can do is close it. It  will still stay on your credit report for 10 yrs after it's closed. If you leave it open, the CL could help your util, but eventually they will close it for non-activity. Your AAOA may take a hit, especially with 2 new accts. 

You could try to contact the corporate office for GE Capital. If you get someone high enough up, they may be willing to remove it from your credit report since you didn't use the acct. and were deceived by the sales associate. It's really up to them. Technically, you did open the acct, so there is no real recourse.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 3 of 5
CruzImperial
Established Contributor

Same thing happened to me when I got my HHgregg card at the store 2 months ago. Lady was clueless and wanted me to sign up for the card before choosing the TV I wanted to buy. They do seem to get a nice bonus whenever they make someone app for their card. She gave me $5k as well though so I didn't complain and was happy instead lol.

I ended up buying a $3k TV that day and returned it shortly after that because I got a 10% discount offer when I set up my acc online. They had a promotion just now for 24 month deferred interest + 5% for using your card. In the long run, if one gets a sweet price with them, the card comes in handy.

Fico Scores: . Walmart TU 748 . Garden 8/19 2014 .

Cap One Journey 500 | Discover IT 500 | GE Home Design 5.6k | GE HHGREGG 5k | Amex Zync NPSL | Amex BCE 6k | Citi Forward 4.2k | Citi Dividend 3k | GE BrandsMart 1k | GE Lowes 8.5k | Discover Walmart 7.5k | Barclays Apple 2.5k | BoA CR 2.7k | CSP 7.2k | Platinum Prestige 5k | IT Chrome 4k | Slate 2.3k |
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Bichonmom - Thanks for the idea. I saw there was a phone list somewhere here for all the CC companies. I will try that with HHgreg on that number.

@James - How would in 6 months that make my score possibly "better" ?

Thanks for the input everyone

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.