Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HIGH CREDIT LIMIT CREDIT CARDS WITH AVERAGE INCOME

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

HIGH CREDIT LIMIT CREDIT CARDS WITH AVERAGE INCOME

Ok folks. I am new to this forum so please forgive me if this question has been asked in another thread.

I have a few credit cards now with cl's around 600-700 and I want to get a few cards with high cl's. My transunion is above 700, eq and ex are above 720 and my income is about 40k. My primary focus is the cl of the card. What cards have a history of higher initial credit limits with moderate income? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
chalupaman
Super Contributor

Re: HIGH CREDIT LIMIT CREDIT CARDS WITH AVERAGE INCOME

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok folks. I am new to this forum so please forgive me if this question has been asked in another thread.

I have a few credit cards now with cl's around 600-700 and I want to get a few cards with high cl's. My transunion is above 700, eq and ex are above 720 and my income is about 40k. My primary focus is the cl of the card. What cards have a history of higher initial credit limits with moderate income? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Amex, Chase, a CU like Penfed (harder to get cards from though), and Discover really likes thinner files too.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 2 of 21
DrZoidberg
Established Contributor

High credit limits are earned and not given. Now there are some caveats. Obviously there are excpetions. And also your definistion of "high." For some people $10k is high but those are usually given. But CL's like $40k+ up are usually earned and not given.

Message 3 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for both of your input. 10k would be a great start for me since the highest card I have is $700. So that being said, which cards would you suggest are easiest to obtain with a credit limit in that range?

Message 4 of 21
tubbynerd
Regular Contributor

I'd try CapOne Venture the way they're givnig them out right now.

Message 5 of 21
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Even though Cap One has given some high limits on Venture we don't want to mislead the OP. They aren't just "giving them out" to everybody for no reason. Generally, history and time will give you higher limits. A newer person to credit isn't as likely to get a large limit, venture or otherwise.
Message 6 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for both of your input. 10k would be a great start for me since the highest card I have is $700. So that being said, which cards would you suggest are easiest to obtain with a credit limit in that range?

With scores in the 700-720 range why is your highest credit card limit $700? Did you start rebuilding and get the $700 limit when your scores were lower or was that card a recent approval? Just so you don't set unreasonable expectations, going from a 700 CL CC card to a new 10K CL CC in one application is not common, but also not impossible. 

Message 7 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DrZoidberg wrote:

High credit limits are earned and not given. Now there are some caveats. Obviously there are excpetions. And also your definistion of "high." For some people $10k is high but those are usually given. But CL's like $40k+ up are usually earned and not given.

+1 Continue to build your relationships with your CC companies and they will increase accordingly,  Don't forget CLI requests after 180 days.

Message 8 of 21
gwizdak24
Frequent Contributor

If you can get in with NFCU with your scores and average income you can qualify for 10 - 15k. (from experience)

Message 9 of 21
Callandra
Valued Contributor

Credit unions tend to give out higher limits quicker. Also, Amex as well with their 3x CLI. If you can get an Amex, that might be the way to go unless you want to go the credit union route.

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.