cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HIgh SL card, preferably with 3000+ min spend signup bonus and 0% apr 12 mo?

tag
mccallb
Frequent Contributor

HIgh SL card, preferably with 3000+ min spend signup bonus and 0% apr 12 mo?

Hey guys, I have recently found out I need to spend about 5K on something.  I"ve reached my minimum spend already on my other cards (CSP, Venture, Amex BCE, BOA Cash Rewards)

I would hate to waste a big purchase like this and not get SOMETHING back for this.  But of course, for 5K I also dont want that to eat the entirety of the SL up.  Also, I would prefer to pay this off in chunks over about 6 months instead of PIF after the first month, so I'd really like a 0% apr.

The closest I could find with a huge signup bonus is the Barclaycard World Arrival Elite, with a min spend of 3000 for its signup bonus. But from the creditpulls DB, the only people I see with 15K+ Sls have Ficos close to 800.

My EXP Fico (from exp) is 721, and my CK for TU is 735, CK for eq is 730.

My current highest SL is CSP, with 16000, amex is 10000, i have a cap1 qa at 9500 also and my BOA is 10000.  The rest are 5-10K.

Do you super helpful people have any suggestions?

CK EQ: 730 / CK TU: 735 / EXP FICO: 721 / EX Vantage: 793 / Total Exposure: 112K
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Re: HIgh SL card, preferably with 3000+ min spend signup bonus and 0% apr 12 mo?

Is there a reason you are concerned about your utilization?  Do you have some other credit you need to seek in the next 6 months?  It really won't matter if you run high utlization on this card for a while if you aren't planning on seeking additional credit like an auto loan or mortgage during that time frame.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 11
mccallb
Frequent Contributor

Re: HIgh SL card, preferably with 3000+ min spend signup bonus and 0% apr 12 mo?

Well, I suppose its not the end of the world, it won't hurt my overall utilization, but it would kind of stink to have a few cards 10K-16K and get something that has like a 5000 limit.

So I mean, no its not absolutely required, but it would be nice.

EDIT: I have nothing else I need to get credit for. I've recently gotten my CSP and Amex, and just refi'ed my house, and bought a new car sept last year, so I'm basically done.

CK EQ: 730 / CK TU: 735 / EXP FICO: 721 / EX Vantage: 793 / Total Exposure: 112K
Message 3 of 11
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Nothing in the credit world is guranteed although others might get 15k-20k SL on a card, doesn't mean that creditor will give you the same.. Kinda a roll of the dice on any card you apply for on your SL other than ones known to be a bit more generous, but even then they could either deny you or throw you a limit you aren't happy with.. Just food for thought.

Message 4 of 11
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Limits are not just about the card or creditor.  That's just part of what matters.  The other important part is your credit profile and income.  They will determine what you qualify for.

@mccallb wrote:

But of course, for 5K I also dont want that to eat the entirety of the SL up.

Consider the impact of revolving utilization -- not just on scores but also as a risk factor.  You don't have to max a card to get into trouble.  Prolonged high utilization can lead to adverse action.  Sort out what your revolving utilization would be every month over that 6 month period.

@mccallb wrote:

My EXP Fico (from exp) is 721, and my CK for TU is 735, CK for eq is 730. 

Keep the specific scoring model in mind.  Creditors do not all use the same scoring models.  Your EX FICO 8 is only relevant to creditors/products that use that model & CRA.  Your TU and EQ Vantagescores from CK are only relevant to creditors/products that use that model and one of those CRA's.  Same sort of consdieration applies for any scoring model.

You cannot use a score generated by one model to determine a score generated by another model whether comparing FAKO to FICO, FICO to FICO or FAKO to FAKO.  If you want to know a particular score then you need to pull that specific model & CRA.

@mccallb wrote:

Do you super helpful people have any suggestions?

We can't tell you what limit you would qualify for with any creditor/product.  You can use the CPD and your scores as a reference but keep in mind that it is not just about score.

@mccallb wrote:

Well, I suppose its not the end of the world, it won't hurt my overall utilization, but it would kind of stink to have a few cards 10K-16K and get something that has like a 5000 limit.

Creditors do not simply match limits.  You cannot assume that because you have cards with limits of X that all subsequent cards would have the same or even similar limits.  Your credit profile and income at time of consideration determine the starting limit or CLI that you qualify for.

As an example: I have 20K-30K cards and several of my newest cards were issued with 5K starting limits.

Additionally, both overall and individual utilization matter.

Message 5 of 11
mccallb
Frequent Contributor

I wasn't really looking for anyone to tell me anything based on my profile, its pretty well known that Venture has high SLs, and they obviously have a min spend of 3K for their signup bonus.

I just already have one of those, so I was looking for much more general info, like, anyone know of any other cards that are known for high SLs and also a good signing bonus.

Message 6 of 11
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Perhaps the Citi Thankyou Premier, they recently reduced the sign uop bonus, its now 40,000 points for $3000 spend. I usually cash those out for gift cards to CVS , gift card redemptions are usually 1 point = 1 cent. 

However, Citi doesn't start you with a high limit, but once you get the card you can immediately request a cli online. My card went from $5,400 to $21,300 in that manner. It took an additional HP of course.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi Prestige or perhaps Chase Marriott

Message 8 of 11
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Message 9 of 11
JSS3
Valued Contributor

BBVA NBA. High SLs and 6 months 0% APR. 20,000 bonus=200 statement credit after 1,000 spend.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.