cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HOLY COW! So Proud of My Boyfriend's Progress!

tag
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

HOLY COW! So Proud of My Boyfriend's Progress!

I've posted a little bit about him and his credit profile (one CC, one auto loan, one student loan. CC had high utilization since he always spends on it and doesn't PIF...)

His CK score jumped, because...

- 5 hard inquiries dropped off his report from car shopping around this time two years ago, leaving TU with 1 hard inquiry

- He lowered his balance on Discover from $800 to $510

AND THE BEST...

- Discover upped his limit AGAIN from $1900 tooooooo $3000!! And he didn't even ask for it! This dramatically reduced his utilization from in the 40%s to 17%!!

Here's to him getting a better credit score and a handle on his financial well-being Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Re: HOLY COW! So Proud of My Boyfriend's Progress!

This is awesome! Start getting him to pay in full though and watch those scores sky rocket.

NFCU FLagship $14k | BofA Plat PLUS $2k | Slate $2.5k | USAA Amex $4k | IT $4k | USAA World $7.5k | Citi TYP $4.5k |
EX FICO-762(Jun '13) EQ FICO-762(Jun'13) TU FICO-785(Jun'13)

Message 2 of 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@daybreakgonesXe wrote:

I've posted a little bit about him and his credit profile (one CC, one auto loan, one student loan. CC had high utilization since he always spends on it and doesn't PIF...)

- 5 hard inquiries dropped off his report from car shopping around this time two years ago, leaving TU with 1 hard inquiry

AND THE BEST...

- Discover upped his limit AGAIN from $1900 tooooooo $3000!! And he didn't even ask for it! This dramatically reduced his utilization from in the 40%s to 17%!!

Here's to him getting a better credit score and a handle on his financial well-being Smiley Happy

Congrats to him... now he should get a new credit card!

Message 3 of 8
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@daybreakgonesXe wrote:

AND THE BEST...

Congrats to him... now he should get a new credit card!

I've been telling him to not only PIF (@transfermoney), but to consider getting a new CC. We talked about his big spends (gas and grocery, since he works at Whole Foods), and the Sallie Mae card is a perfect fit for him. He wants to wait until the next quarter though, since Discover is currently taking up his gas purchases.

So we shall wait until mid-September, and apply for it then!

Message 4 of 8
zeusta20
Established Contributor

Wow! Congrats to him!

Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa Sig-15k
Chase Sapphire Reserve Visa Infinite-10k
Chase Freedom-4k
1st Financial Bank USA-11.4k
USAA Amex-7.5k
USAA Visa Sig-7k
Citi Thank you Preferred-4.8k
Citi Diamond-2k
Amex Gold-NPSL

FICO8-11/2017
EX: 737
EQ: 722
TU: 735
Message 5 of 8
eagles08
Regular Contributor

Awesome!! I'm on a similar run with my GF! She's just got a $500 auto CLI from Discover after her 4th statement!! I'm super proud! Like you, I plan to help in the search for another card! Congrats to your BF and it's awesome that you are helping him along! For both of you, keep up the good work!!
AMEX BCE- $12,600 I Discover IT- $10,000 I Chase Freedom- $7,000 I Citi Double Cash- $3,300 I Best Buy- $2,800 I Bayport CU Visa- $1,000
Message 6 of 8
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

@eagles08 wrote:
Awesome!! I'm on a similar run with my GF! She's just got a $500 auto CLI from Discover after her 4th statement!! I'm super proud! Like you, I plan to help in the search for another card! Congrats to your BF and it's awesome that you are helping him along! For both of you, keep up the good work!!

@zeusta and eagles, thanks!

It's so rewarding to watch others around you build up credit and succeed...I help monitor my brother's and boyfriend's credit, and it's great to watch what they're achieving based on the advice we learn from myFico, then spread it to them to help them out!

Now if only i could get my mom and dad on board...my dad actually asked me a while back to help me with his, but my mom is the one who uses his credit to open accounts when she can't get them -_- le sigh. one day...

congrats to you and your gf on achieving your credit goals!

Message 7 of 8
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.