Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HOW TO GET A CLI WITH DISCOVER

tag
sylviagarcia
Regular Contributor

HOW TO GET A CLI WITH DISCOVER

So I recently was approved for a Discover card which I was thrilled about due to its rewards and awesome customer service. 

I am here wanting to know how the process of getting a CLI with Discover is.. I have received plenty of info on the NFCU Rewards Visa and how they're SP and CLI works but I haven't heard anything on Discover - do I wait and see if they SP or AR or how does it work with them? Do I not ask and wait for them to give it to me etc.. ??? 

Thanks for all the help.

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: HOW TO GET A CLI WITH DISCOVER

They want to see usage and history first. Discover does SP CLIs but not usually right when you get the card.
Message 2 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got an auto-CLI around 6 months. Edit: I requested a CLI a few months after the auto and it was a HP

Message 3 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Be advised that generally their CLI's are going to be less than you may be used to with other cards.

Message 4 of 25
sylviagarcia
Regular Contributor

What do you mean that they'll be less than what I'm used to? 

Thanks for all the feedback Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 25
morgacj2004
Valued Contributor

I will use my card for example. I had an initial CL of $500 45 days later $900 and 45 days after that $1200. You will rarely see DC giving  huge CLI. You have to be patient. All CLI were SP and they always sent me a letter as to the status of the CLI. I have been succ waiting 45 days between approvals. They were handing out CLI on a weekly basis but those days are now over.

AX Hilton Aspire 20k, AX Bonvoy Brilliant 15k, AX BCP 2k, AX Blue Bus Cash 15k, AX Delta Air Platinum 49k, (AU) AX Delta Gold 15k, AX Amazon Prime Bus 25k, BC Uber 29k, AKUSA FCU -10k , CITI AAdvantage Exec World Elite MC 16.5k, Discover (2) 16k, Kohls-4k, VS Comenity $3k, BofA AK Air Siggy 9.8k, WF Propel AX 5k, JCP $10k PFCU Plat Rewards Siggy 39.5k, PFCU Power Cash Rewards AX 10.5k, NFCU Flagship 50k, CLOC 15k, CITI Costco 9.5k, GAP VISA Synchrony $9k,Target MC 9k, Ulta MC Comenity 9k, Pay Pal 1k, CO Venture One 23k, US Bank Radisson Rewards Signature 10k, US Bank Fred Meyers World MC, 11k, US Bank Plat VISA 15.7k, VS Comenity 2k, 240k total available credit. Utiliz-2%, Current FICO EQ-724, EX 763,TU 802 ,Chapt 7 BK D/C 11-2012. Starting scores 520-550
Message 6 of 25
sylviagarcia
Regular Contributor

Ohh I see.. but is that with everyone or it depends?? (The 45 days cli's?)

Message 7 of 25
taxi818
Super Contributor

@sylviagarcia wrote:

Ohh I see.. but is that with everyone or it depends?? (The 45 days cli's?)

Its 90 days for cli's . every 90 days. if you want to request. but if you wait. they will auto cli if heavy usage. now during the Disco Gravy train. we were getting them every 16 days. but that was unusual. just make it your number 1 and they will show you love.

Message 8 of 25
creditfan
Established Contributor

show heavy use you will get cli eventually

mine was take advantage of double cash promo, I spent 82% of 4.5k cl and I just got auto cli to more than 10k

good luck

Message 9 of 25
sylviagarcia
Regular Contributor

Taxi818;

Sorry you kind of lost me there... 

What I am understanding is: "IF" I want to request a CLI I have to wait 90 days.. from the day I opened the account... right?  BUT, you are saying that they will auto CLI if I use the card alot?  I thought we were suppose to keep out balance at $0 to make our score go up.. am I completely lost??? 

I do use another secured card ALOT because it gives me points but I PIF every month.. every now and then I'll leave like 7% balance on it.. but that's it.. all the other cards are $0..

Can you please clarify? Because I do want to make sure Discover is my #1

Thanks Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.