then make it your number one and see what happens lol
Message 11 of 25
taxi818
Super Contributor

Re: HOW TO GET A CLI WITH DISCOVER

@sylviagarcia wrote:

Taxi818;

Sorry you kind of lost me there... 

What I am understanding is: "IF" I want to request a CLI I have to wait 90 days.. from the day I opened the account... right?  BUT, you are saying that they will auto CLI if I use the card alot?  I thought we were suppose to keep out balance at $0 to make our score go up.. am I completely lost??? 

I do use another secured card ALOT because it gives me points but I PIF every month.. every now and then I'll leave like 7% balance on it.. but that's it.. all the other cards are $0..

Can you please clarify? Because I do want to make sure Discover is my #1

Thanks Smiley Happy

Ok will clarify. Keep in mind each lender is different from the other. In the Case of Discover specifically. You as Card holder can request a cli every 90days. even from time of getting card. It will more than likely be hp cli and small increase.

However.Knowing Discover the way most of us know them. That is not the best case of action with them.

I will explain below best case.

But history. I got my disco last August with 2500 limit. 90 days asked for cli. got 500 increase and hp.

Waited another 90 days and did it again. got another 500 increase to 3500 total limit.

Only after i started using my Discover for every thing even little purchases did they show some love. I does not matter if you leave a balance as it is 0 percent interest as least for me it was for 15 months. most now are 12 months. its not about always paying in full. you need to show need for the Cli with Discover and the only way to do that. is a simple trick. Almost max that puppy out. Let it report on your credit report that is what you did. Then pay most of it off. and repeat. and Discover will be smiling as they give you auto increase. You will not have to request. so now. im even getting more 0 percent offers. another year for balance transfers because discover beleives they are my number 1. hehehe. But i have Sded them. because i need to pay my high balance off now. which i will take a year to do it. Hope you understand now. Usage with Discover is always the best route. let it report the balance. Then pay. then do it again.

Message 12 of 25
sylviagarcia
Regular Contributor

Ahhh.. Ok.. I got it Smiley Happy

Thanks so much... 

Message 13 of 25
taxi818
Super Contributor

@sylviagarcia wrote:

Ahhh.. Ok.. I got it Smiley Happy

Thanks so much... 

You are welcome. Btw. My current limit with Discover is $7500. so really a 5k increase in less than a year. So i cannot complain at all.

Message 14 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

For whatever reason, I applied for a card with Discover today and they gave me a $6,000 credit limit. I don't know why.... That's alot more than I was expecting.

Message 15 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

well we are even. i got a lot less than expected lol. my average credit line (add them all up and divide by the number of cards) is $2,433.3333333333 and they gave me $800 lol
Message 16 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

So that brings up a question.  I dont currently have a Discover card.  I had one a long time ago and it was my second line of credit ever back in college and it was paid in full and (i think) on time and eventually terminated.  My score is currently 700-750 and i have a QS1 with a $9k limit and a DCU Plat Visa with a %15,000 limit.  If i apply for a Discover card, what would be a good estimate for a credit limit they would extend to me?  I won't even bother if it's a small limit.

Message 17 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

i used the heck out of my card for about 80 days and requested a increase by pushing the luv button. I got 4000.00 to bring me to 10,000.00. By using the heck out of the card, I mean I used it for everything from parking ,redbox and gum to dinners,  plane tickets, and rental cars. I used the web portal for my normal online purchases and I paid all of my household bills, but rent and electricity  with the card. I paid online everythime I got paid so 2 times a month.   Oh, I almost forgot I did a balance transfer a few days after recieving the card so while I do carry a balance, that balance has been steadily decreasing by about 400 a month.

Message 18 of 25
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@taxi818 wrote:

@sylviagarcia wrote:

Taxi818;

Sorry you kind of lost me there... 

What I am understanding is: "IF" I want to request a CLI I have to wait 90 days.. from the day I opened the account... right?  BUT, you are saying that they will auto CLI if I use the card alot?  I thought we were suppose to keep out balance at $0 to make our score go up.. am I completely lost??? 

I do use another secured card ALOT because it gives me points but I PIF every month.. every now and then I'll leave like 7% balance on it.. but that's it.. all the other cards are $0..

Can you please clarify? Because I do want to make sure Discover is my #1

Thanks Smiley Happy

Ok will clarify. Keep in mind each lender is different from the other. In the Case of Discover specifically. You as Card holder can request a cli every 90days. even from time of getting card. It will more than likely be hp cli and small increase.

However.Knowing Discover the way most of us know them. That is not the best case of action with them.

I will explain below best case.

But history. I got my disco last August with 2500 limit. 90 days asked for cli. got 500 increase and hp.

Waited another 90 days and did it again. got another 500 increase to 3500 total limit.

Only after i started using my Discover for every thing even little purchases did they show some love. I does not matter if you leave a balance as it is 0 percent interest as least for me it was for 15 months. most now are 12 months. its not about always paying in full. you need to show need for the Cli with Discover and the only way to do that. is a simple trick. Almost max that puppy out. Let it report on your credit report that is what you did. Then pay most of it off. and repeat. and Discover will be smiling as they give you auto increase. You will not have to request. so now. im even getting more 0 percent offers. another year for balance transfers because discover beleives they are my number 1. hehehe. But i have Sded them. because i need to pay my high balance off now. which i will take a year to do it. Hope you understand now. Usage with Discover is always the best route. let it report the balance. Then pay. then do it again.

Okay, le taxi, I want only 500 increase.  They based initial CL on income, which does not warrant maxing a 4500 card out, then pay down (if it's my one and only, MAYBE 2k).  How does one get the magic even number?  For my income, I cannot complain about starting limits (even Aviator is overkill).  Just want 5k vs 4.5k.

Signature needs updating
Message 19 of 25
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Kyliemarie85888 wrote:

For whatever reason, I applied for a card with Discover today and they gave me a $6,000 credit limit. I don't know why.... That's alot more than I was expecting.

Congrats (they have changed certain underwriting criteria).

Signature needs updating
Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.