Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP discover CLI

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

HP discover CLI

i have seen a few on here say that discover wants to HP their credit for a CLI. i searched but not much came up with just that topic

basically i got the card in july for only $800
91 days later got a so $400 increase to $1,200
last month they auto increased me to $1,700
went to ask and they said they wanna pull credit. does that mean no more SPs for me? lol
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: HP discover CLI

While I'm not familiar with the card directly, I've done extensive searching about the discover IT card. 

From own all the research I have seen, discover is probably the best at giving auto CLIs and with short frequency. 

My my suggestion would be heavy usage with multiple monthly payments. I've read that discover likes heavy usage. 

I I recently contemplated a HP for a citi double cash CLI... But I have reconsidered. I think I'm going to get the discover it instead for my own reasons. If I was you, I would try to avoid the HPs. But that's just my opinion.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

It depends on your credit profile, I've taken hard pulls that have had little to no impact (a drop of 5 points at the most) for new cards.  Haven't had to take a hard pull for a CLI yet, but if the time ever came I wouldn't be against it.  It kind of looks like I'll have to with Chase at some point on Freedom, but that can wait. Right now I'm going through the process of PIFing and purging the junk (read: Synchrony cards).

Message 3 of 10
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
i have seen a few on here say that discover wants to HP their credit for a CLI. i searched but not much came up with just that topic

basically i got the card in july for only $800
91 days later got a so $400 increase to $1,200
last month they auto increased me to $1,700
went to ask and they said they wanna pull credit. does that mean no more SPs for me? lol

At what point do they say they want to pull credit?

On the initial CLI Request page, mine says "After reviewing your application, we may need to pull a credit bureau report, which may affect your credit score. In these cases we will proceed with the application only with your consent.". This is before entering any information, before clicking on any Submit button.

It may simply be a matter of time before you get SP CLI offers again. But only time.

Continue to use the card heavily, and the SP CLI should be back before too long.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

i entered income and rent and employer. hit submit and that's what comes up
Message 5 of 10
NRB525
Super Contributor

You are probably just early.

91+ days from the last auto CLI would seem the most likely next request point.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 6 of 10
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

My first CLI from Discover was with a HP. That was the only HP for me with them since then.

But it happens every now and then. Doesn't mean that they have stopped giving SP CLIs. However, unlike Cap One or AMEX, they don't have a SP CLI only policy.
Message 7 of 10
mikelo22
Established Contributor

Discover SP CLI's are the apex and very definition of YMMV.  There are some people they love, and others they hate.  I've tried all sorts of strategies like funneling more of my spending on it to the point of maxxing it out.  I've tried lowering spending and PIF before the statement even cuts.  But nothing has worked for me and they always want to HP when I try.  

Best I've gotten since I received the card over two years ago is a meagre $300 auto CLI.

I wouldn't waste a HP, and I wouldn't waste time trying to find ways to incentivize Discover to lend you a SP CLI.  They either will or they won't depending on your entire credit profile.  What you do with their card in the interim doesn't seem to matter to them honestly.

I've all but given up on Discover and left it in the SD.  Good luck with your quest; you may need it. Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 10
mikelo22
Established Contributor

I should also point out that every time you attempt a SP CLI on their site and it comes up with them asking to pull your CR, even if you cancel the request, it is still logged by Discover and they send you a letter in the mail informing you of the cancellation request.  I'm not saying that abusing the CLI button harms one's chances of eventually getting a CLI, but I wouldn't say it helps either.  So just to be cautious, try to space out when you request a SP CLI and remember that patience is key.

You can also request SP CLI on the phone; it's all automated and if they need to HP, they will try to direct you to a CSR.  At that point, just hang up.  I don't think Discover logs it as a request in this situation as opposed to how they do it with the online SP requests, though I could be wrong on this one.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks for the info. i will probably leave it alone until may
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.