Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP vs SP

tag
ecxpa
Valued Contributor

HP vs SP

We all know the impact of  HP credit inquiries on the application process for credit cards.  Too many inquiries can and often does get you a denial.  It is easy to find the hard inquiries on your credit report but how do you know who is doing soft inquiries.  I have subscriptions to all three major CRA's and on equifax there is a section showing inquiries that do not impact your score which I assume are the soft pulls.  However, I can't find any place on Exterian or Transunion  that lists inquiries that do not affect the credit report.

I see a lot of folks stating that they check there credit reports and find out that credit card company X did a soft pull.  Where do you find the soft pull inquiries on Transunion and Experian.  Is it assumed that if a hard inquiry does not show up on your credit report that it was a soft pull?

Also I see recommendations for folks to go to a certain credit card company site to check for preapproved offers and that the check for these offers are soft pulls, where are these listed on the credit report?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
user5387
Valued Contributor

Re: HP vs SP

Typically you find out about SPs by looking at your actual printed reports from the bureaus.

Message 2 of 14
ecxpa
Valued Contributor

@user5387 wrote:

Typically you find out about SPs by looking at your actual printed reports from the bureaus.

So what is different from that credit report appearing online.......are you saying if I print the report the soft inquiries will show up?

Message 3 of 14
kchengg1
Contributor

Other credit issuers can't see your soft pulls. I believe only you can.

Last App: 7/1/2016
AMEX PLATINUM (NPSL) | AMEX EveryDay Preferred | SPG Personal & Biz | Amex Everyday | Citi AAExecutive| Citi AA Plat | Citi Prestige | Citi Thank You Premier | DISCOVER IT | BOFA Cash Rewards Visa Signature | Alaska Personal & Biz | Amex Plat Biz | Amex Biz Gold
Message 4 of 14
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

For EX, refer to this thread:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/How-to-check-on-SPs-on-Experian-website/m-p/25...

I had the same question previously, this was done and i was able to see the SPs on my EX.   Others can chime in for TU. 

Assuming that you don't need help w/ EQ, right?

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 5 of 14
ecxpa
Valued Contributor

I need to go look at some things....getting EQ ok 

Message 6 of 14
myjourney
Super Contributor

You can find SP's on your credit report under the title .......Only seen by you

The only reports they'll show on are from two sources 

1) directly from TU, EQ, EX

2) annual credit report 

Any lenders you apply with can see all of your HP's but no one can see your SP's other than you 

Looking at your SP's is a great way to see who's looking at you and can be a  useful tool if there's a certain lender that's watching you and sending you mailers that you wanted to apply with anyway .......still not guaranteed but a good indicator tool

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 7 of 14
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

You can find SP's on your credit report under the title .......Only seen by you

The only reports they'll show on are from two sources 

1) directly from TU, EQ, EX

2) annual credit report 

Any lenders you apply with can see all of your HP's but no one can see your SP's other than you 

Looking at your SP's is a great way to see who's looking at you and can be a  useful tool if there's a certain lender that's watching you and sending you mailers that you wanted to apply with anyway .......still not guaranteed but a good indicator tool

+1, and just to make it even clearer, as MJ says, it is DIRECTLY from the CRAs that matters.  So if you get them from myfico, or from a credit monitoring service, SPs do not appear, as, to the CRA, these are merely third parties requesting your report.

Message 8 of 14
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Look for the following sections on your credit reports:

Experian:

Transunion:

Equifax:

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 9 of 14
ecxpa
Valued Contributor

@DaveSignal wrote:

Look for the following sections on your credit reports:

Experian:

Transunion:

Equifax:

I subscribe directly with experian.com and transunion.com and for the life of me I cannot find those sections on my credit report when I log in.  Is there another transunion or experian site. The "inquiries that do not impact your credit rating ' is on my Equifax report

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.