Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HSB C Reduced my line of credit

tag
susanhannah
Established Member

HSB C Reduced my line of credit

Today I received a letter from HSBC telling me that my line of credit has been reduced from $8000 to $7000 because their mitigation department has reveiwed my card usage.  I have never used beyond $1000 on this particular card and have ALWAYS paid the card off in full at the end of each month.  I have only used the card once in the past twelve months and that was a $47.75 to Whole Foods which I paid off at the end of the month.  What do they mean about my card usage?  Why did they lower my line?  Will this kill my FICO score?  I have no outstaning debt.  All of my cards have zero balances.

Thanks,

SusanHannah

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Scamp
Valued Contributor

Re: HSB C Reduced my line of credit

susanhannah wrote:

Today I received a letter from HSBC telling me that my line of credit has been reduced from $8000 to $7000 because their mitigation department has reveiwed my card usage.  I have never used beyond $1000 on this particular card and have ALWAYS paid the card off in full at the end of each month.  I have only used the card once in the past twelve months and that was a $47.75 to Whole Foods which I paid off at the end of the month.  What do they mean about my card usage?  Why did they lower my line?  Will this kill my FICO score?  I have no outstaning debt.  All of my cards have zero balances.

Thanks,

SusanHannah

It sounds like what they mean about card usage is actually how little you use it; from what I've read about HSBC elsewhere, you're lucky all they did was take your CL down a bit - many folks who fail to use their cards for 2-3 months are finding they have been cancelled.

Credit issuers across the board have been reducing CL's and more in an effort to reduce their own risk in the current, highly-stressed economic climate.

Since you have 0 balances on other cards, it sounds like this lowered CL won't really hurt you to speak of, score-wise, since you so rarely use it and use so little of what's available to you on it.

HTH.

Message Edited by Scamp on 03-03-2009 02:28 PM

02/12/09 EX: 701 / 02/08/10 EQ: 719 / 02/08/10 TU: 723

Backdoor Numbers, Credit Scoring 101, Understanding Your FICO Score PDF
Message 2 of 4
Guardian
Valued Contributor

Yeah, you can join us whining in quite a detail on this thread and read about everything we have been discussing on the topic. Hope to see you there:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/board/message?board.id=creditcard&thread.id=146768

Common Abbreviations|FDCPA|FCRA
Take the FICO Fitness ChallengeStarting Score: TU:695 - EQ:719 - EX:630
Current Score: TU:712 - EQ:755 - EX:712
Goal Score: TU:800 - EQ:800 - EX:800

Message 3 of 4
WhirledPeasPlease
Moderator Emeritus

Thread locked to try and contain the HSBC Credit Slashing Madness in one place.

(Guardian -- Thanks for putting up the link.)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
From 700 in 2008 to 498 in 2012...
4/23/12 -- BK 13 date of filing EQ = 505
4/18/12 -- EQ 498
12/5/13 -- EQ 669
Here we go.... back on track.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.