Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HSBC Annual Fee

tag
gettingstarted
Regular Contributor

HSBC Annual Fee

Just want to know if anybody has had any success with getting HSBC to drop their annual fee after you have been with them for awhile

FICO: EQ:735 TU: 760 EXSmiley TongueLUS 747

Chase Military Star MasterCard(5K) Chase MWR MASTERCARD(3K) Discover More Card(6K) USAA World MasterCard(9K) Military StarCard(3K) USAA Platinum Visa (10.5K)

MY FICO SCORES MAY 20TH 2012: EQ 738 TU 747 EX PLUS SCORE 761
In Garden Mode Until May 15th 2013

Soldier Medic
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: HSBC Annual Fee

@gettingstarted wrote:

Just want to know if anybody has had any success with getting HSBC to drop their annual fee after you have been with them for awhile

You can always threaten to cancel if they dont, how long have you had the card and what is the AF?

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 19
gettingstarted
Regular Contributor

Re: just Annual Fee

I have had the card for almost 4 years now and it only has a  400.00 limit that just got increased from 300.00 after they did a SP

Chase Military Star MasterCard(5K) Chase MWR MASTERCARD(3K) Discover More Card(6K) USAA World MasterCard(9K) Military StarCard(3K) USAA Platinum Visa (10.5K)

Soldier Medic
Message 3 of 19
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@gettingstarted wrote:

I have had the card for almost 4 years now and it only has a  400.00 limit that just got increased from 300.00 after they did a SP

Whats the AF?? Do you have other cards with a decent history? What is your AAoA?

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 19
gettingstarted
Regular Contributor

Sorry the annual fee is 59.00 and yes I have a chase master card with a limit of 500.00 and just got approved for a discover card with 6000.00 not reporting on 3 CRA yet no missed payment and no colletios on my CR

Soldier Medic
Message 5 of 19
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@gettingstarted wrote:

Sorry the annual fee is 59.00 and yes I have a chase master card with a limit of 500.00 and just got approved for a discover card with 6000.00 not reporting on 3 CRA yet no missed payment and no colletios on my CR

I'd axe it. No need to pay that fee for that toy limit.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 6 of 19
lithium78
Established Contributor

I'm curious about people's experience with this as well.  My BBRZ MC annual fee is coming up in June, so I'm planning to ask HSBC to either change my tier so I won't have to pay it or waive the AF.  If they don't do it, I guess I'll have to wave goodbye to the card.  I like the rewards, but I've grown beyond the need to pay AFs on my CCs anymore.  Anybody have any success with HSBC in getting them to waive the AF?

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 19
gettingstarted
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the advice and I think I will especially since they are selling out to capital one and Im not a big fan of theirs although Im starting to hear good things about them again

Soldier Medic
Message 8 of 19
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@gettingstarted wrote:

depends on the card, my HSBC Sears had the $59 fee, they cut it in half year one, this year it hit again, asked for it to be waived they said they could do 1/2 off, I said not good enough and canceled it. 

My 2+ year old HSBC BestBuy card came with the AF, I called and asked for it to be waived, they said ok, I expected to be hit with it again the following year but have never seen an AF again didn't even have to call just gone.

I had far better question when I asked for the Sears card AF to be waived, had 2x prime cards in my wallet they just didnt' want to budge ,no wonder Sears is dieing, credit choices are limited to Citi backed cards with very hard standards, or HSBC cards with low limits how do I by a Washmachine and dryer with only a toy $400 limit. Perhaps in a year or two I will AP again for a sears card and only say yes if I get the Store card. 

YMMV.  But always worth asking, its fun to cut up cards beause you know you can't screw up your credit with closed TL's in good standing. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 9 of 19
searchingfor67
Established Contributor

I've never had any success with them either lowering or waiving my annual fee. I will be cancelling mine next month before the annual fee hits. It is my oldest card at almost 4 years old, but it's also my lowest cl at $1020...not worth the $79 annual fee.

TU FICO: 772 (Discover) • Exp FICO: 772 (Citi)

Amex BCE $13K | Amex Costco TE $10.4K | Amex SPG $5K | Chase Freedom Visa Signature $15K | Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature $15K | Chase Ink Plus World Elite MC $5K | Citi TY Preferred World MC $10.1K | Citi Forward $10K | Citi Diamond Pref $7.6K | Discover IT $9.9K | JP Morgan Chase Select Visa Signature $9.2K | NFCU CashRew Visa Sig $25K | NFCU LOC $15K | NFL Visa Signature (Saints) $8.1K | USAA Amex $11.3K | USAA World MC $11.5K
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.