Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HSBC Cancelled EVERY account me & DH Had

tag
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: HSBC Cancelled EVERY account me & DH Had

@keith021 wrote:

I just pulled my Equifax CR and noticed another hard inquiry is on my report dated: 06/10/2010 from Household Bank. I am furious! I don't understand why they are still pulling my credit report; I have not applied for any new cards nor requested a credit limit increase. I am going to fax another letter to the credit dept. and also send a letter through Planet Feedback. Any other suggestions?

I may have read your post incorrectly but it sounds like you have a current card with them.  As long as you do and it is an open card they are within their rights to do a hard pull.  They could have done a soft but either way is legal.

Message 11 of 17
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

guiness56 wrote to keith021:

"I may have read your post incorrectly but it sounds like you have a current card with them.  As long as you do and it is an open card they are within their rights to do a hard pull.  They could have done a soft but either way is legal."

I'm sure you're correct of course, but a soft pulls the same information as a hard, so it's not like they get anything out of it? I wonder why it's even legal; the justification is not obvious to me.

Message 12 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@guiness56 wrote:

@keith021 wrote:

I just pulled my Equifax CR and noticed another hard inquiry is on my report dated: 06/10/2010 from Household Bank. I am furious! I don't understand why they are still pulling my credit report; I have not applied for any new cards nor requested a credit limit increase. I am going to fax another letter to the credit dept. and also send a letter through Planet Feedback. Any other suggestions?

I may have read your post incorrectly but it sounds like you have a current card with them.  As long as you do and it is an open card they are within their rights to do a hard pull.  They could have done a soft but either way is legal.

That's surprising. That ought to be illegal though. Hard pulls indicate that you are SEEKING NEW CREDIT. That's entirely different matter than checking on your customer's credit profile, and such action can and will definitely harm the customer financially. How can such an action be allowed? Theoretically, that allows whoever is reviewing your credit to ruin, or seriously damage your credit by nonchanlantly (or maybe even maliciously) running multiple hard pulls. Since such activity would be within the rights of the creditor, you won't even be able to dispute that. So even though you were not seeking credit at all, your credit file would say otherwise, and that would be what all your current and potential creditors would think.

Message 13 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had (have?) an auto account through HSBC that was sold to Santander USA...or something like that...with no heads up on the part of HSBC. I was not aware of this until I logged into my account on HSBC and the other company's website pulled up instead! Being aware of all the scam/phishing sites out there, I exited the site and logged back in again, to no avail. I called the company and just received an automated message basically saying welcome all former HSBC customers. How rude. Also, my husband and I also have a Roomstore furniture account through HSBC as well. That was ALSO just closed and we only received a letter in the mail after the fact. This was a little over a year ago, and when we called to get some sort of information, the lines were so busy they were no longer accepting anymore phone calls! We assumed, correctly so, that we were obviously not their only customers to recieve such letters. It has left a very distrusting feeling with HSBC. Furthermore, the only reason I even bothered financing this vehicle through them is because I had had one previously, which I had PIF, and they sent me a letter in the mail (about a month after I financed my truck through another company) asking me to come back to them. Good luck in finding answers!

Message 14 of 17
keith021
Regular Contributor

Update: I did file a complaint with BBB on June 17th and I received a call from a very nice rep. from HSBC's exceptive office/dept. the next day. I thought the response was extremely quick. The rep. went over my complaint over the phone and asked me to fax in a copy of my Equifax credit report showing the inquires, and told me once my fax is received, the complaint will be investigated further. I'm hoping all 3 hard inquires will be removed from my Equifax soon.

Starting Score: 665
Current Score: 715
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 15 of 17
KimberH
New Contributor

I decided not to pursue it after I called their credit dept. She flat out LIED to me about something, I called her on it , she stuttered, and hung up on me. Really professional.

We did not need their cards and after I wrote the letter via Planet Feedback, I said what I needed to say. I do not want to carry a credit card that operates like that.

On a side note, I think HSBC is getting out of some of the CC programs they are currently running. I would be interested to see what happens over the next year or so.

Needless to say, I will NEVER carry an HSBC backed product again.

"Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into" Ollie
Message 16 of 17
Comp5569
Regular Contributor

HSBC dumped me as well.  I have decent scores (around 700).  Oh well, didn't really use the card much.  However its odd considering I have an auto loan, a checking account, and a savings account all linked with them.  Either way, as soon as this auto loan is payed off, I'm out of HSBC. 

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.