Did you mean: 

HSBC Discover

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

HSBC Discover

I have an account with them.

Intially a $1100 line of credit.

They upped it to $1700 a few months later.

Well I never had a late payment.

Paid large amounts including paying off to a 0 balance in Oct.

Used it again in Dec. went to make a payment paid it off and discovered my credit line

dropped from $1700 to $300. 

I  called them and they told me "it was bank descion because of inactivity"

My fico score 700ish and much higher than when the account  was opened.

Since when banks punish people for acting responciably???

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
SCF
Valued Contributor

Re: HSBC Discover

Due to the recent credit/financial/general economic crisis, almost all CC issuers have been focusing on reducing their exposure by reducing limits and closing accounts wherever they can get away with it.  If you search these forums for "credit line decrease" or "CLD" you'll see plenty of stories like yours.

I've heard that HSBC is a particular stickler for account activity.  In the future, I would put one (small) purchase on your card and PIF to keep it active, then give it a few months and ask for a reinstatement, telling the CSR that the reason you've gone to making only one small purchase a month is the CLD.  No guarentees, but it's worth a shot!

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

The short answer? Since the credit crisis started. Smiley Sad

I'm sorry that you've become one of the many people who have seen adverse action due to the current credit climate. Lenders are tightening their belts, and borrowers (even the best ones with stellar records) are suffering the fallout. Believe me... it's not you. If you peruse the threads, you'll see that it's rampant right now. CCCs are chasing balances, ratejacking, reneging on 0% offers, CLDing (as in your case), and even closing accounts that have been inactive for too long. HSBC is known for quickly CLDing and closing inactive accounts.

Is this your oldest card? If so, stick it in a sockdrawer, and use it to buy a coffee or a pack of gum once a month or every other month, then pay it off immediately... to keep it active. If it's been inactive for more than 3 or 4 months, you might take a temporary FICO hit for using it again. But, you'll recover the month after.

The bottom line is that a lot of lenders are nervous, needing to reduce the liabilities on their books, and quick to take adverse action. Credit can be a 'use it or lose it' game.

One possible option is to try one of the backdoor numbers for HSBC in the "Backdoor" thread to try to get your credit line reinstated. Failing that, make them work to keep your business. That pack of gum, slurpee, or coffee (once every 1 or 2 months) is going to cost them a lot more than it will cost you.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry to hear about CLD...

My short answer is HSBC is a joke...

Message Edited by cartercorp on 01-02-2009 02:43 PM
Message 4 of 5
bamagirl1
Established Contributor

dont feel bad b4 really any of the "BIG" credit crisis started i've had 2 hsbc cards one mc and one discover also a bb mc and have had about 2 years or more never late or anything and i've NEVER gotten any cli love
~01/2008 Ficos TU 571-EX 647-EQ 652~
~3/21/2009 Ficos TU 705 EX 702 EQ 692~
~9/9/09 Ficos TU 718 EQ 693 EX???
~06/25/12 Ficos TU 719 EQ 677 EX??
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.