Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HSBC Limits

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

HSBC Limits

How is HSBC with intro credit card limits? (Note: not talking about orchard, store cards, etc.)

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Cranston
Established Member

Re: HSBC Limits

Hopeless, 3 years and no increase.

Message 2 of 9
ficofox
Regular Contributor

I have one of their rewards, no annual fee cards (Cash or Fly) and they started me at 2,500 - that was my highest limit at the time of approval. I've only had it for 3 months so not sure about increases.

Many people here are confused about HSBC products and automatically associate all of their products with the subprime products.

You can only apply for their prime products if you have an account with them (e.g. savings/checking).

With FICO, time heals all wounds.

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 3 of 9
stan_the_man
Established Contributor

@ficofox --

The GM card, and I believe a few others as well, is a prime product. They treat GM Card cardholders like they are subprime too though.

I have 793 EX (USAFed pull 9/2010), 792 TU (4/2011) and 813 EQ (4/2011) -- and I've also had the card for over 10 years -- and I can't get a CLI, just like all the rebuilder cardholders out there.

Message 4 of 9
smc733
Valued Contributor

The Best Buy store card gets some notoriously high limits ($20k plus).  The regular HSBC products are average prime $5k-$25k, but only for HSBC banking customers.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, yeah I have an account with HSBC already, just trying to determine the value of the cards. They seem about 5 years behind competition right now, but the bank does have an almost unmatched position abroad.

I may just stop by a branch and inquire about what's going on.

Message 6 of 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

It's very confusing for those who are familiar with HSBC's status and reputation in the rest of the world.

When they decided to enter the US market, they bought some sub-prime portfolios (Household Bank, Orchard.) I don't know why they haven't bothered to launch some good products since then, but they seem happy with what they have. Smiley Tongue

Same deal with Barclay's, although they seem to be doing a better job of providing some good CC's.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

It's very confusing for those who are familiar with HSBC's status and reputation in the rest of the world.

When they decided to enter the US market, they bought some sub-prime portfolios (Household Bank, Orchard.) I don't know why they haven't bothered to launch some good products since then, but they seem happy with what they have. Smiley Tongue

Same deal with Barclay's, although they seem to be doing a better job of providing some good CC's.

I agree. Many would probably be surprised to know that HSBC's market cap is over $10B higher than the biggest US bank (JPMorgan). Despite its london HQ, HSBC's strength is in emerging markets, but that doesn't mean it will give up on the US. First step would be to divest the subprime divisions you mentioned and acquire a strong regional bank in which it can expand a meaningful retail network.

Message 8 of 9
Cranston
Established Member

hsbc are making a major announcement around May 11 on the future direction of their businesses.

They have been making public comments for years that they favor the far east over the US.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.