cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HSBC Mastercard w/Cash or Fly Rewards card?

tag
octavia
Regular Contributor

HSBC Mastercard w/Cash or Fly Rewards card?

Does anyone have this card? Is it any good? I went on HSBC pre-qual page and this card was offered.

I currently have only the following cards:

Credit One Bank $1,200 limit/Bal. $61
Orchard Bank $2,000 limit/Bal. $0
Juniper $1,500 limit/Bal. $0

I am 4.5 years post BK, no baddies since bk, 1 new inquiry (on all 3 reports) for mtg refi in Aug.  I don't have any prime cards.  But I am considering a secured with BOA and Citi.  I hear Citi doesnt report credit limit.  Is this true?
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: HSBC Mastercard w/Cash or Fly Rewards card?

1.) I'm quite sure Citibank reports credit limit for unsecured cards. Can't say the same for secured cards.

2.) I'd recommend Navy Federal or USAA if you're eligible, they're credit lenders that are BK friendly and give generous credit limits.

3.) If you're not eligible for any of the above, you should be able to get a good BofA card that'll grow with you. Check out their website to see if you're preapproved for any of their cards.

Message Edited by jaybird201 on 09-18-2008 12:10 PM
Message 2 of 10
octavia
Regular Contributor

Thanks Jaybird.

I have checked the preapproval page for BOA and it had no special offers for me.   I figured maybe I'd try BOA since they just bought out my long time bank of 20 years (LaSalle Bank).

I'm thinking that if I start out with secured cards at first, then after some time they'll convert to unsecured.  I don't think I will be approved for any unsecured prime cards at this time.

I need to start getting rid of the 3 builder cards that I've had for about 4 years.

Are there any prime HSBC cards?
Message 3 of 10
TangMeister
Frequent Contributor

@octavia wrote:
Thanks Jaybird.

I have checked the preapproval page for BOA and it had no special offers for me.   I figured maybe I'd try BOA since they just bought out my long time bank of 20 years (LaSalle Bank).

I'm thinking that if I start out with secured cards at first, then after some time they'll convert to unsecured.  I don't think I will be approved for any unsecured prime cards at this time.

I need to start getting rid of the 3 builder cards that I've had for about 4 years.

Are there any prime HSBC cards?

HSBC has some prime cards...such as their cobranded Amex and a couple Rewards cards, as well as some co-branded cards they offer through a store or two. They also offer a "rewards" card that targeted toward rebuilders, and seems to be nothing more than their old platinum brand that's been repackaged for marketing purposes. But at least it's a rewards card vs. what they used to offer...still has a fee, though. Smiley Happy There's also a distinct difference in cards between what "Household Bank" and "HSBC Bank" offers to the public. Different websites and different target market for their cards, from what I see, but same overall company. Orchard is another arm of the company that was bought by them and primarily targets rebuilders.

As Jaybird said, go for a credit union if you can. They'll treat you right.

BoA is NOT bankruptcy friendly, and very few ever get in with a BK on their reports from what I've seen...even if applying for a secured, but you can try. I recently encouraged a friend to apply for their rewards card based on what I saw on these forums. He was a prior BoA CC customer before a BK 8 years ago, but he was denied with good scores in the 700s and no baddies since. He was not a BoA customer when he filed BK, so they weren't IIB, but they didn't care. He went for a reconsideration, and was still denied flat out because of the BK, with no secured available to him, either. Smiley Sad I have read about a couple exceptions. Good luck!
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi octavia,

I have that CC from HSBC.
I started with a secured CC from them and after 8 month they offered this.
Got a $3250 CL.
I payed everything($10,000) for 6 month PIF and asked for CLI after that.
They said can not guarantee nothing and not soft pull is possible.
The manager that I asked for told me the same.
Nothing special about this card.
Now I have an Amex Green and planing to get one from Citi, BOA, or one of the good credit unions.

Do not take if you have an other choice.

Chris

8/17/2008 EQ 705
7/17/2008 EQ 707
Message 5 of 10
octavia
Regular Contributor

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Yesterday I received a preapproval offer for an HSBC Platinum card upto $10,000 CL, with a 0%apr for BT until July 09, $0 annual fee and "platinum" benefits.  Should I apply for this?  I've read something about them not allowing multiple HSBC accounts.

What about Wamu, are they considered prime? They send me a preapproval offer 1 or 2x per week.  I did have a Providian card that was IIB.  Do they blacklist?

TIA.
O
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

octavia wrote:
Thanks everyone for your replies.

Yesterday I received a preapproval offer for an HSBC Platinum card upto $10,000 CL, with a 0%apr for BT until July 09, $0 annual fee and "platinum" benefits.  Should I apply for this?  I've read something about them not allowing multiple HSBC accounts.

What about Wamu, are they considered prime? They send me a preapproval offer 1 or 2x per week.  I did have a Providian card that was IIB.  Do they blacklist?

TIA.
O

I've never had any any cards with HSBC, but I have heard, with few exceptions, that HSBC doesn't like multiple accounts.

I don't know much about the HSBC Platinum card or the WaMu cards, but just take a look at the terms and conditions; if there aren't any set-up fees, there isn't an annual fee and the purchase APR is at or below 10%, you're looking at a good prime card.

Due to your BK, I don't know if you'll be able to get any super-prime cards with high quality rewards programs, but those will come with time. But you should be able to get your hands on a prime one like I just described.

What bank/credit union are you with? When I was 18 I had an account wit Citibank and they gave me an unsecured card with a $2,000 CL because I had an active checking account there that I had been using ever since I turned 15 and started working. Many banks and credit unions will overlook little or no credit or even bad credit if you have a checking account with them that had money in it and that is being managed well (No overdrafts, decent balance, etc).
Message 7 of 10
octavia
Regular Contributor

Ive read that if HSBC mail an invitation to apply your chances are better to get the HSBC card instead of going online to see if there are any offers.  That's why im considering the offer from the mail i just received.

Im not with a CU; Ive been banking with LaSalle Bank (way back when they were Talman/Talman Home) for 20 years.  Now they've been bought out by Bank of America.  All accounts will be online in early October 2008.  Do you think I could get even secured with BOA once the buy out is finalized in Oct?
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm sure you could. If you've got enough for a deposit, I'd go with a secured. Simple, easy, shows them you can manage the credit you have. Soon thereafter you could probably go for one of their prime cards.
Message 9 of 10
octavia
Regular Contributor

jaybird201 wrote:
I'm sure you could. If you've got enough for a deposit, I'd go with a secured. Simple, easy, shows them you can manage the credit you have. Soon thereafter you could probably go for one of their prime cards.

Thank you Jaybird.  You've been very helpful and I appreciate all of your input.

I will try for the BOA secured (In October, once the banks are inline and finalized).  I will post my results.

Thanks again to everyone!
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.