Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HSBC Platinum Mastercard or HSBC Discover Network Platinum

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

HSBC Platinum Mastercard or HSBC Discover Network Platinum

I recently got pre-approved offers on both of these.   Both have same 0% BT APR til Jan 2009.

Does it matter which one I apply for since both are from HSBC?
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: HSBC Platinum Mastercard or HSBC Discover Network Platinum

IMHO- neither

flyers wrote:
I recently got pre-approved offers on both of these.   Both have same 0% BT APR til Jan 2009.

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Timothy wrote:
IMHO- neither

flyers wrote:

Post of the Day!!!

And ain't that the truth!

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks-
And don't even get me started on my last
"0% ARP no fee BT" offer from HSBC

Charged a BT fee- got that waived
Charged me interest every month- just a little
I gave up and paid it off- they then refunded me the interest?
Made them send me a check- I never used the card I have closed it forever and never looking back-  

an Unswipped card-

cheddar wrote:

Timothy wrote:
IMHO- neither

flyers wrote:

Post of the Day!!!

And ain't that the truth!

Message 4 of 12
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

If it is me, I  would go with Discover. It just different from the crowd and stands out.
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why do you say neither?    I am looking for a CC with a 0%BT for 11-12 months.  These are the only 2 I have received pre-approved offers on.  My scores are 686, 670, 685 with a BK in 03/05.
     What other cards with this type of BT offer could you recommend I may have a strong chance at?

Timothy wrote:
IMHO- neither

flyers wrote:

Message 6 of 12
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:
Why do you say neither? I am looking for a CC with a 0%BT for 11-12 months. These are the only 2 I have received pre-approved offers on. My scores are 686, 670, 685 with a BK in 03/05.

So a BK hitting 3 years in a few days, and good scores like you have? Hold off, you can do better.

Have you visited any credit unions in your area? The big national ones might shy away from the BK, I don't know for sure. But the local ones are definitely worth trying. You should be able to pick up a Visa or MC from them.

You could certainly get Hooters, but I think that you can do better than that.

Anyone else out there? Good scores, in upper 600's and a three-year-old BK: what do you think??
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd like to hold off for a week or so but I have a landscaping account that will possibly hit within a 1-5 days and it will raise my debt to income % and most likely drop my scores.   So I am looking to find a card with a 0% 12month BT to app tonight.   My local CU uses Elan Financial Services(???) & offers a 6 mths BT.   

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Why do you say neither? I am looking for a CC with a 0%BT for 11-12 months. These are the only 2 I have received pre-approved offers on. My scores are 686, 670, 685 with a BK in 03/05.

So a BK hitting 3 years in a few days, and good scores like you have? Hold off, you can do better.

Have you visited any credit unions in your area? The big national ones might shy away from the BK, I don't know for sure. But the local ones are definitely worth trying. You should be able to pick up a Visa or MC from them.

You could certainly get Hooters, but I think that you can do better than that.

Anyone else out there? Good scores, in upper 600's and a three-year-old BK: what do you think??

Message Edited by flyers on 02-28-2008 06:30 PM
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

bump for ideas
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have them both after getting the same offers as you got.  It does not make a difference.  They both will report on your CR as HSBC bank!  Some people just like the feeling of having a "Discover Card" in their wallet or would go with that one if they already have a MC.  It might be the case that HSBC is still offering two versions of the Disc. card: the platinum and the direct rewards.  I got a nice limit with the Plat. Disc. and a 300.00 with the Rewards.  Luckily, they let me combine the two.  After I got the Disc. I got many  pre-approved co-branded offers from HSBC including a AMEX.  Because at the time I applied I had the two Disc cards, I was declined for these other offers for having too many HSBC cards.  Once I combined them and had only one and one Orchard, I got approved for a platinum m/c that came as a preapproved offer in the mail soon after I combined the Disc. cards.  Same rates, no annual fee, etc.  There is no difference, it just matters what type of mix of names you are looking for.  Good Luck!
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.