Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HSBC and Equifax

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

HSBC and Equifax

We are currently in escrow, but we may lose this home because of HSBC.  They have posted a dispute on our credit report over the credit limit.  The account is in good standing, with a $200.00 balance.  We have contacted HSBC numerous times about having this dispute removed, but they won't help.  They blame Equifax, we contacted them, and they won't help.  They keep putting the blame for this error on each other.  Has this happened to anyone else?  We never disputed anything, so we don't understand how this was placed on our credit file.  Help, please!
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
android01
Valued Contributor

Re: HSBC and Equifax

@Anonymous wrote:
We are currently in escrow, but we may lose this home because of HSBC.  They have posted a dispute on our credit report over the credit limit.  The account is in good standing, with a $200.00 balance.  We have contacted HSBC numerous times about having this dispute removed, but they won't help.  They blame Equifax, we contacted them, and they won't help.  They keep putting the blame for this error on each other.  Has this happened to anyone else?  We never disputed anything, so we don't understand how this was placed on our credit file.  Help, please!

This may stem from a problem that HSBC had with March reporting.  They somehow moved the decimal point to the left two spots and it messed up account holder's credit limit reporting.  For example if you had a $10,000.00 credit line, it reported at $100.00 making any balance over $100.00 over the limit.  I'm not sure how or if they've corrected the situation.   Check your EQ report and make sure the credit limit they are reporting is correct. 

If this is the case, it's definitely HSBC's error and they should be willing to fix it.  You should also check your EX and TU to see if they report the account the same way.

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 2 of 16
tsquad131
Frequent Contributor

better business bureau?

amazon
Message 3 of 16
JayRizzo
Established Contributor

I've been checking with relatives that have HSBC cards (Household, Orchard, BestBuy, etc) and they've all said the same that they experienced the sudden drop of the last two digits during that whole coding fiasco, but they did not rush out and dispute anything as they knew it will eventually get fixed, so they did nothing.

Today, their accounts are reporting fine with all 3 bureaus.  Unfortunately, there are some people who rushed out and started disputing as soon as they were made aware of this without waiting for it to be fixed, now the dispute process is in-play or a note has been added.

I know you said you did not dispute anything, but I'm wondering if one of your calls to HSBC may have initiated an internal dispute?

Also, try the State Banking Commissioner's office where HSBC is located in the U.S. -- sorry, I don't know HSBC's location but it's easy to google the commissioner's office for each state.  All requests are done via internet.  Also, FTC. 

Message 4 of 16
creditguy-378
Regular Contributor

always use credit wisely and you won't ever feel like you're working just for the task master
Message 9 of 16
creditguy-378
Regular Contributor

file a complaint with the ftc
always use credit wisely and you won't ever feel like you're working just for the task master
Message 10 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did file a complaint with the FTC.

Message 13 of 16
veracious
Established Contributor

Hi, cleo72.

The advice others have given you will probably help. Have you called the Credit Bureau/Equifax and ask them to remove the dispute?

If the dispute was placed by HSBC, Equifax may not be able to remove by your request. You can only ask,it might help.

The only other solution I would suggest is if your credit card ?  _   is a HSBC Union Plus Card,  you can call the

Union Plus advocate on Monday and ask them to intervene on your behalf.

The Union Plus Advocates have a direct contact via email & phone with HSBC Executive Card Services.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck

john398
Senior Contributor

contact HSBC president via email you will have an executive assitant contact you back almost imediately I did and it was what I expected do a google search you should be able find it

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I want to thank everybody for all their help.  Contacted corporate headquarters today, and they are sending a letter of explanation.  The other departments are useless.  Hope the letter is good enough for mortgage company.  Otherwise, I guess its time to talk to an attorney.

Message 8 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.