cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HSBC credit line slashed for no reason!!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: HSBC credit line slashed for no reason!!!

Yep!
Message 151 of 284
Anonymous
Not applicable

On the bright side.... I've never seen so many first time posters on one thread.  Welcome aboard, new peeps!
Message 152 of 284
Anonymous
Not applicable

Same here -- the card is paid off but the credit limit WAS $5000 -- now it's $300.

I believe we're under siege.  Aren't we all acting like it as well?  The country is on survival rations.

Who understands about banking anyway?  I mean, they're private corporations, right?  Is there a board of directors and stockholders?

I can't figure out why banks *should* be private anyway -- including the Fed!  If someone has good links that would explain it CLEARLY I'd appreciate that.

Thanks!

Message 153 of 284
PRILEY
Regular Contributor

Just found out mine got slashed from 3800 to 300, never late 0 bal and never got a cli in the 3 years I had it.A few months ago they closed one for 2500. What a sucky company. I kept these cause of the age, Since then I've gotten prime cards like discover amex an BoA. They just suck.
Message 154 of 284
Anonymous
Not applicable

As someone said yesterday after I posted for the first time yesterday, I see that I am in good company. Initially, I took it very personally. I have been trying to repair my credit for sometime and felt like it was a slap in the face. From the posts, it seems that the biggest declines in CL's relate to non use of the line. I had a credit line of $3000 which was brought down to $412. I never charged more than $150 on this card and always paid on time, etc.
Message 155 of 284
Anonymous
Not applicable

You folks are making me feel like I should think I am blessed being reduced to 1k from 2300.  I find it amazing that they have no mathematical explanation for how they come up with this.  If it is not for the fact I am trying to close a loan on a home, I could care less.  Right now I can not afford to have my debt ratio or credit screwed with.  We will all be better for this.  Just remember when the economy turns around, these same companies will be vying for our business.  Tell them we have made a decision to reduce our CC's and you were part of that group!
Message 156 of 284
Anonymous
Not applicable

All these postings do nothing to bring to the attention of regulatory authorities the actions of HSBSC. in the time it takes you to write post here, which for all intents and purposes doesn't fix the problem, you should take the same time to open a complaint with the Comptoller Of The currency, the regulator of HSBC. The complaint can be filed online in a matter of minutes. I filed the day after learning that my limit was reduced with no prior notification, which was last month. I've yet to receive notification from HSBC as to the reason. You really need to direct your energy into a direction where this becomes a "public issue" thus the Comptoller complaint and calls and letters to the offices of Senator Chris Dodd, Bod Casey, Jr. and Representative Barney Frank. Anybody with media connections should also get them involved in this screwing that we're getting.
Message 157 of 284
eddymvp
Frequent Contributor

When I saw this thread I got scared because I thought they had reduced mine as well. Walmart did the samething to me in December. I had a CL of 500 with them and it was reduced to 100. I have had the HSBC credit card for a year and my CL is 1900. I have not received a CLI from them. Hopefully they won't reduce my CL.
Message 158 of 284
Guardian
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
You folks are making me feel like I should think I am blessed being reduced to 1k from 2300.  I find it amazing that they have no mathematical explanation for how they come up with this.  If it is not for the fact I am trying to close a loan on a home, I could care less.  Right now I can not afford to have my debt ratio or credit screwed with.  We will all be better for this.  Just remember when the economy turns around, these same companies will be vying for our business.  Tell them we have made a decision to reduce our CC's and you were part of that group!

Well everyone I might have found a rhyme or reason for what they are doing and how they are calculating these new credit lines. I have a friend who worked for BofA and moved to HSBC branch as a manager and we are still in touch and I see his cousin at my branch still. So I figured I hit him up and see if he knows anything internal that might help us out. He told me that most of the lower ranks don't like what is being done as they are the ones pissed off customers go and yell at but they can't do much about it since it comes from high up and they have been planning this since December of 2008 and its not something new. The effects are just now being felt because they started with certain group and working their way down the list.

He told me to check the bottom right of my letter and tell him what code is there and I wasn't sure what he meant until I noticed a small print next to the "Equal Credit Opportunity Act Notice" and it said L13_Profitability. He said ok you are in group 13 and that's why you didn't feel the hit till now, 12 other groups got slashed before you. He told me that the wording of mitigation and review and crap like that is just that, fotter for the letter. The real deal is that they want to get rid of customers that are not making them any money. There was a time when good customers were gold but now bad customers are the ones making them money by carrying a balance, having excessive usage, paying finance charges, overlimits and late fees and able to charge them higher interest, so that's the ones they want. He agrees that its an asinine position to take but that's where they are going.

First apparently they cut or closed all the dormant accounts. Then apparently they cut the small card limits, then apparently they moved to those without AF and low interest rates, and so on. With those of us that have perfect pattern, low usage and high credit and there is nothing they can use to get rid of us, they lowered the limits to 20% above your highest ever usage. So if you ever carried a high balance even for a brief period, your CL wasn't slashed as much as if you never carried a high balance at all. So hence why some go from 3k to 1k but some go from 10k to 300. In my case since my highest balance was 1977 then they gave me 2080 of my 4500 limit and so on. Although using the 20% above logic, my new limit should have been 2375 instead of 2080 but oh well.

It seems that being a responsible card user is why we are getting hit and we are being graded on the curve of how much we have spent with them. Since we PIF and don't carry balances, and don't pay finance charges, we are not profitable to them so if they reduce the limit then we will be using a higher percentage of the CL and they feel there is more chance we will default in some way or carry a balance or pay them which is absurd because I will simply stop using my card, I am not going to play their game. Anyway, wanted to share for everyone to know.

Message Edited by Guardian on 03-04-2009 11:11 AM

Common Abbreviations|FDCPA|FCRA
Take the FICO Fitness ChallengeStarting Score: TU:695 - EQ:719 - EX:630
Current Score: TU:712 - EQ:755 - EX:712
Goal Score: TU:800 - EQ:800 - EX:800

Message 159 of 284
Guardian
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
All these postings do nothing to bring to the attention of regulatory authorities the actions of HSBSC. in the time it takes you to write post here, which for all intents and purposes doesn't fix the problem, you should take the same time to open a complaint with the Comptoller Of The currency, the regulator of HSBC. The complaint can be filed online in a matter of minutes. I filed the day after learning that my limit was reduced with no prior notification, which was last month. I've yet to receive notification from HSBC as to the reason. You really need to direct your energy into a direction where this becomes a "public issue" thus the Comptoller complaint and calls and letters to the offices of Senator Chris Dodd, Bod Casey, Jr. and Representative Barney Frank. Anybody with media connections should also get them involved in this screwing that we're getting.

You can do both, post here and complain without having to pick one over the other. Your assumption that posting here automatically means people didn't complain to the authority is improper. Most are capable of multitasking.

Common Abbreviations|FDCPA|FCRA
Take the FICO Fitness ChallengeStarting Score: TU:695 - EQ:719 - EX:630
Current Score: TU:712 - EQ:755 - EX:712
Goal Score: TU:800 - EQ:800 - EX:800

Message 160 of 284
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.