cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HSBC credit line slashed for no reason!!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: HSBC credit line slashed for no reason!!!

Just noticed today that my CL went from $7000 to $950.   Never a late and highest util ever on it was 13% only.

Message 71 of 284
Anonymous
Not applicable

I qiut my HSBC Orchard card when it was 9 months old. That was several months ago. My Best Buy card hasn't had a CLD but It has no balance and I haven't used it in two months.
Message 72 of 284
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Just noticed today that my CL went from $7000 to $950.   Never a late and highest util ever on it was 13% only.

Hmmm, Lets do the math.

13% of $7000 is $910.

The most that you ever borrowed was $910.

105% of $910 is $955.

It seems that the bank might only be willing to lend you the amount that you have actually borrowed and paid back in the past.

I am sure the bank is aware of the utilization hit that is caused by CLDs. The bank is well aware that paying in full before the statement drops is the only way for the consumer to avoid a credit score hit with monthly charges that approach 95% utilization.

Maybe HSBC wants to motivate people to use their credit cards as non revolving "charge cards" that get PIFed even before the bill is mailed out.

They might even be trying to get the consumer to prepay the anticipated monthly charges that will cause the account to go over the credit limit. That way the card will be used as a debit card instead of a charge card.  Smiley Mad

I wonder if forcing the consumer to use revolving credit cards as either charge cards or debit cards is a possibility as credit gets tighter and tighter in the future?  Smiley Surprised

Then again maybe some banks do read these forums and realize that many people PIF before the statement drops to keep their credit scores as high as possible.

Banks probably realize that allowing high unused credit limits allows the consumer to heavily use competitor's "rewards" cards while charging only a pack of gum on their high limit non rewards cards. Those banks are not getting any revenue from cards in a sock drawer. Those cards are only going to see high usage when the consumer needs money after the rewards cards are maxed out.

The banks might be jumping to the conclusion that they only have risk without revenue on some of their higher limit credit cards.

This is one of the reasons that I have always tried to have 50% utility at least once on all of my tradelines. 0% BTs have been great for that purpose. I always thought that the highest amount that was ever borrowed must be more significant than most people think. The amount is recorded on all credit reports. We almost never discuss how that amount might be used in scoring or determining people's credit limits.  Smiley Wink

Message 73 of 284
Guardian
Valued Contributor

The problem is that they don't accept preemptive payments, at least not through their online payment system and that means you can only pay up to the amount they show as the current balance, regardless of how much they show pending, and they don't allow more than a certain number of payments in a given period, so it can't be used to double and triple up and pay more than balance that way either, trust me I have fought with them over this for years and no budge.

Common Abbreviations|FDCPA|FCRA
Take the FICO Fitness ChallengeStarting Score: TU:695 - EQ:719 - EX:630
Current Score: TU:712 - EQ:755 - EX:712
Goal Score: TU:800 - EQ:800 - EX:800

Message 74 of 284
Changingmantra
Established Contributor

Banks probably realize that allowing high unused credit limits allows the consumer to heavily use competitor's "rewards" cards while charging only a pack of gum on their high limit non rewards cards. Those banks are not getting any revenue from cards in a sock drawer. Those cards are only going to see high usage when the consumer needs money after the rewards cards are maxed out.

The banks might be jumping to the conclusion that they only have risk without revenue on some of their higher limit credit cards.

This is one of the reasons that I have always tried to have 50% utility at least once on all of my tradelines. 0% BTs have been great for that purpose. I always thought that the highest amount that was ever borrowed must be more significant than most people think. The amount is recorded on all credit reports. We almost never discuss how that amount might be used in scoring or determining people's credit limits.  Smiley Wink

Good points!  The only comonality I see in this thread is that people with low utilization on their cards got hit the hardest!   It is a catch 22 where FICO looks for low utilizations on your cards, but it looks like some banks are rescinding their credit lines for just that, HSBC and GEMB seems to be notorious for this. I got slashed by both this week, but hardest by cards with lowest balances and the most available credit.  It is quite hard to sustain any type of decent utilization when every few months, GEMB takes 500-1200 of my credit line, but good riddance to them!

*Note to self* Remember why and for how long you had to rebuild in the first place! One Day at a Time, One Day at a Time!
Message 75 of 284
Anonymous
Not applicable

My highrst CL is with GEMB and I haven't charged anything with them in months. The line hasn't changed. What I'm seeing in common here is the number of open accounts.
Message 76 of 284
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a similar experience to others here.  My HSBC rewards card was denied paying for groceries this weekend so this morning I logged on and found out my credit limit had been slashed from $900 to $300 for no reason!  I have never been late on this card, had it for 1 yr+, always PIF, monthly charges typically 40-50%% of the CL.  There were no late charges yet, but I went ahead and made a payment of $75 to cover the $8 over-the-limit I had already gone plus any charges that might pop up.  I'll wait until right before the next due date to pay the balance (no gifts from me) and then SD the thing.  I will never ever use this card for more than a couple bucks.  Plenty of other fish in the sea, I just liked the 5% rewards on gas & groceries they gave me.  Oh, and I have no mortgage either, go figure.

Message 77 of 284
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yup, same thing happened to me. It was a no nothing $1100 CL card that I've had forever. I had a balance of $35 that I just paid off and the dropped my limit o $300. Pfff... lame. I called and the guy was very nice and explained that he was sorry for this but it was company wide and he couldn't, sincerely, couldn't help me; I was in great standing with the company and everything. I didn't close the account but I sure won't use it. Not that I even did. I've hardly used it in 2 years. HAHA but it is the idea they would drop my limit for no better reason than they were afraid of the credit market. I AM NOT A PROBLEM. I don't have any loans to default on. LOL NO house payment, car payment, student loans or anything. Just $1400 on CC across 4 cards. LOL I actually think it is kinda funny and silly. HSBC..............
Message 78 of 284
kjm79
Valued Contributor

I don't know what is going on with HSBC.  I'm reading about CLD across the board and refusal to waive AFs.  I've had GEMB close one card I haven't touched in two years and cut the limit on another I make a small purchase on every month.  I've been wanting to call HSBC and actaully request a CLI but have been so afraid that they would decrease instead.  My husband and I have each had an HSBC card for approx. 3 years now.  There were actually the first cards we got following a BK in 2004.  They had AF of $59 and limits of $500.  Had to start somewhere right?  Well, in the mail yesterday we each had a letter from Household.  I thought, uh oh this it is, what did they cut my line to?  I open my husband's first and it states that his annual fee has been reduced to $39 because of his excellent history with them.  Okay, so now I had a little hope, I opened my letter.  To my utter amazement they increased my credit line to $700 and reduced my af to $39 (I didn't even ask for it).  My hubby and I have the same exact tract record with HSBC.  Applied at the same time, same billing cycle, I even schedule the payments online for the same time.  I'm not complaining or anything but what the heck is HSBC doing?   

CH 7 Filed 7/27/15 Discharged 11/16/15
Starting Score: EQ 620 TU 568 EX 593
Current Score (07/13/16): EQ 674 TU 649 EX 674 (FICO's 08)
Cap1 QS ($5350) (Combined QS and QS1) Discover It ($4100) MilStar ($8,600) Fingerhut ($800)
Off to the garden 05/01/16
Message 79 of 284
Guardian
Valued Contributor

@kjm79 wrote:
I don't know what is going on with HSBC.  I'm reading about CLD across the board and refusal to waive AFs.  I've had GEMB close one card I haven't touched in two years and cut the limit on another I make a small purchase on every month.  I've been wanting to call HSBC and actaully request a CLI but have been so afraid that they would decrease instead.  My husband and I have each had an HSBC card for approx. 3 years now.  There were actually the first cards we got following a BK in 2004.  They had AF of $59 and limits of $500.  Had to start somewhere right?  Well, in the mail yesterday we each had a letter from Household.  I thought, uh oh this it is, what did they cut my line to?  I open my husband's first and it states that his annual fee has been reduced to $39 because of his excellent history with them.  Okay, so now I had a little hope, I opened my letter.  To my utter amazement they increased my credit line to $700 and reduced my af to $39 (I didn't even ask for it).  My hubby and I have the same exact tract record with HSBC.  Applied at the same time, same billing cycle, I even schedule the payments online for the same time.  I'm not complaining or anything but what the heck is HSBC doing?   

Mind if I chime in Smiley Wink the lowered AF has happened to a couple others too recently and its because they are trying to make it less likely that you will call and ask them to waive it if you feel they did you a favor and honored you with an automatic lowering. Its bull and if you want to pay the AF, its a good deal but otherwise I would probably walk away willingly and not wait for them to jerk you around like they have others. HSBC is over extended, the bought a few in trouble companies thinking they have money and can cover it but its all coming down around them because they don't qualify for TARP (aka financial stimulus) becaue they are not US based and only have a holding company in the US and on top of that the Asian market is taking a nose dive too and stick to American policy we instituted is making it further difficult for them. So they are shoring up finances and pulling back to ensure they have enough money and this way they know how much each person can cover for sure if they had to call it in. My view on this is that they are alienating TOO many people to survive a comeback when things get better and they are being very very shortsighted. Especailly screwing with the CLD of good customers, high score customers and those who can afford to walk away from them. Ultimately whoever is making their decision is going to be ousted and they will regret this but in the meantime, there is just scrambling and making bad moves.

Common Abbreviations|FDCPA|FCRA
Take the FICO Fitness ChallengeStarting Score: TU:695 - EQ:719 - EX:630
Current Score: TU:712 - EQ:755 - EX:712
Goal Score: TU:800 - EQ:800 - EX:800

Message 80 of 284
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.